1.    #1  
    So I'm a little confused on what I should do with my TP's battery to keep in good condition as long as I can. I'm reading conflicting information so I wanted to tap this community's wisdom.

1) I was told by Apple to drain my iphone 4's battery completely once every month or so. I've been doing that for over a year and my battery seems to be in great condition like new.

2) Then there was information somewhere on this forum that it's not good to completely drain the battery. It's better to constantly top it off (as in keeping it on touchstone, for example).

So which theory is correct?
    L Ion does not need to be fully drained specifically for "battery life" as old battery tech did. The full drain is to calibrate the chip that controls the battery.

Sorry that is a very weak explanation, I am sure someone will chime in with more details.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Strange that to this day its still unclear.

To the OP's credit I still constantly hear supporters of both with credible evidence each.
  4.    #4  
    I haven't had any ill effects from draining my batteries (iphones) completely every once in a while so I guess I'll keep the practice unless I'm proven wrong.
    Far from a scientific test, I've owned my TouchPad for 2.5 months now and use it daily for 12+ hours/day. I charge it every day, usually leaving it plugged in while at home, so when I leave for work, it's full. 8-10 hour shift ends and I'm down to 20-30%, get home and back on charge.

I just checked my battery health with Dr. Battery, and it shows 6215/6612mAh or 94%

6% loss in 75 days = 1% loss every 12.5 days.

Multiply by 100 = 1250 days.

1250 days = (3653) + 155(5 months)

3.5~ years for this battery is more than I was led to believe, so am I missing something? Will the drop in battery health become exponential? I hope not, it would be great to get 3 years out of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Far from a scientific test, I've owned my TouchPad for 2.5 months now and use it daily for 12+ hours/day. I charge it every day, usually leaving it plugged in while at home, so when I leave for work, it's full. 8-10 hour shift ends and I'm down to 20-30%, get home and back on charge.

I just checked my battery health with Dr. Battery, and it shows 6215/6612mAh or 94%

3.5~ years for this battery is more than I was led to believe, so am I missing something? Will the drop in battery health become exponential? I hope not, it would be great to get 3 years out of this.
    You calculation involves a slight mistake. A battery down to 2% battery is effectively dead. So is a 5 and even 10% battery.

When people talk about battery they talk about the period until it gets useless - or too annoying short-lived. That could be anything from 25-50%.

It's roughly a couple of years - depending on use and outside conditions.

After 2 years the battery in my Pre- is now down to slightly above 60% health. Given that the battery life isn't extraordinary at 100% health to begin with 60% is already a bit low and it would have been time to get a replacement battery (but got me a shiny Pre3 instead :-) ).

A Touchpad is different in it's use and might be ok even at below 50% battery health.

p.s. BTW - you can't be sure that your battery was at 100% when you got the TP. It could have easily started at 98% or some such. It slowly deteriorates in storage even when not used and things are rarely a 100% exact to begin with.
    Last edited by tholap; 09/30/2011 at 04:41 AM.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

Im sure your battery wasnt at 100% health when you first got it, most aren't. So with those calculations it would probably last even longer. It would be nice if you were able to replace the battery though.
    @sledge, I predict you will get more life out of it than that. I still have working Centro batteries from 4 years ago. And those batteries have been abused much more than the TP battery I would say.

I also agree that your battery probably wasn't at 100% to begin with. Worse case scenario, you buy a 2 amp car charger in a couple years.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...