Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    ^ But where do you put the file? Cause I haven't been able to figure out video on the Touchpad yet.
    I use kalemsoft 0.4.0. You can try the demo version (wifi required) or use google and find it. I just made a movie folder on the TP and put them there.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    No... the Touchpad cannot play MKVs, unless you buy the app for it.
    (a buggy $6.99 app call Kalemsoft)

My Samsung Galaxy Tablet can play 1080p/720p MKV videos straight
    out of the box with its built-in video player. In fact, my old Samsung
    Galaxy S smartphone can also play 720p mkv videos without the need
    for any additional apps.
    Considering the conversation was only about TouchPad and iPad, I chose to not consider any other tablets, and as for mkv files, well yes, my samsung wave (bada os) plays it well too. Samsung has known to be more generous with media codec supports.

iPad too does many other things, but only courtesy of paid apps, when I said for the TouchPad, "it plays mkv" what I meant was that the hardware supports them.

and again, I am an Apple fan, who got a TouchPad (tablet) for less, who has a Samsung phone that costs half of what iPhone does yet beats it on hardware specs.

The important thing for me is experience and the price I am paying for it. I buy what I need or like, Which company makes it secondary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    iPad can play any video format with 3rd party app, just like TP.
    And multi-task? That's a subjective term. To me, only Android tablets seem to have real multitasking.
    The iPad plays flash videos [not flash apps tho] by re-encoding them. This takes time and makes the videos look worse. This is not "playing" flash videos, but converting them. IT's not the same. The Touchpad plays flash videos and apps without conversion.

Multitasking is not a real selling point, but if it was, Touchpad is the best at it. What other mobile OS has cards you can swipe away with a flick? playbook? stole it from webOS. iOS? only recently got any 'legal' way to manage apps in memory, but still doesn't MT, just swaps live and background apps. although it can play music and browse...

I have an iPad1 and a Touchpad. Poor iPad was lonely after I got the Touchpad, so I'm letting my daughter use it. I tried carrying both, but I got to where I didn't want to use the iPad over the Touchpad.

But I guess people have their preferences...
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    ^ But where do you put the file? Cause I haven't been able to figure out video on the Touchpad yet.
    Both the iPad and tp require you to use USB cords and a computer to load the file onto the tablet. In the iPads case, you open iTunes, then the app link at the bottom and then click and drag the file into the app. Takes about 25 seconds for 1.4 gig files. Of course, with AVPlayerHD if the file is small enough you can wifi it directly to your iPad.

On the tp with kalemsoft, it's somewhat similar only you move it directly into a file folder.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    The iPad plays flash videos [not flash apps tho] by re-encoding them. This takes time and makes the videos look worse. This is not "playing" flash videos, but converting them. IT's not the same. The Touchpad plays flash videos and apps without conversion.

Multitasking is not a real selling point, but if it was, Touchpad is the best at it. What other mobile OS has cards you can swipe away with a flick? playbook? stole it from webOS. iOS? only recently got any 'legal' way to manage apps in memory, but still doesn't MT, just swaps live and background apps. although it can play music and browse...

I have an iPad1 and a Touchpad. Poor iPad was lonely after I got the Touchpad, so I'm letting my daughter use it. I tried carrying both, but I got to where I didn't want to use the iPad over the Touchpad.

But I guess people have their preferences...
    We weren't talking about Flash, we were talking about mkv, avi, mov and so on type video file formats.

And I have the ipad2 and tp. If the tp had more apps, I'd use it more. I like webos, but without the types of apps I use, it's just a secondary tablet.

By the way, you bring up the first iPhone and the lack of features it had. You do realize that the first iPhone started the craze of candybar phones with capacitive screens. Before that it was the Motorola Razr! It's kind of hard to fault the original iphone which essentially recreated the smartphone category.
    You're kidding right? Anyone remember the first smartphone? the first REAL smartphone?

That's right! the PALM TREO!!! Palm was making and selling smartphones years before the iPhone hit.

What the iPhone did is prove some people will buy anything with and apple logo on it. In droves! Now, years later, I have to admit, the iPhone 3gs and 4 are solid hardware with software that seems to work most of the time... couple that with iTunes and THAT is what makes so many people still want and drool over the iPhone.

What some of us want is to control our own phone/tablet. That's what webOS gives you. control. Want your search bar to say "Your thoughts, give them to me..." no problem... Want to make you own apps...? don't pay to be a dev, just start doing it!

Want to change the look and feel of the device? make the touch area more sensitive, a smaller area? Just jailbreak it [until they update and take it away. Did you know that 8/10 itunes/iPhone updates are to kill jailbreaks?]
    Oh wait... there's no NEED to JB webOS because it's encouraged to tweak.

BTW! I just say "No, it's a Touchpad" and if asked what can you do, I say. "Edit documents, charge wirelessly, act as a speakerphone when paired to my phone via bluetooth, use flash websites... and a few other things."

There is a growing list in fact of things I have asked "Can your iPad do that?"
    Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 09/23/2011 at 02:43 AM.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World
    Hahaha this sound so funny. Like you're trying to keep up.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/23/2011 at 03:32 AM.
    Both the iPad and tp require you to use USB cords and a computer to load the file onto the tablet. In the iPads case, you open iTunes, then the app link at the bottom and then click and drag the file into the app. Takes about 25 seconds for 1.4 gig files. Of course, with AVPlayerHD if the file is small enough you can wifi it directly to your iPad.

On the tp with kalemsoft, it's somewhat similar only you move it directly into a file folder.
    Sorry, that is not true. WiFi Media Sync in the catalog will let you transfer wirelessly. I think there are other solutions as well in Preware, if you have some linux knowledge as well.
    Wow a lot of errors in this post. The ipad1 and ipad2 have very slick and simple dongles for hdmi, usb and sd. They wanted the tablet itself to be very thin and not bogged down by slots etc thus the inexpensive dongles. I'd prefer to have them onboard but i dont use them that much anyway.

I know that there are a lot of 3rd party aftermarket accessories for the iPads. These don't come with the device and were made to fix a problem after the fact. You have to pay for them like you have to pay for a decent media player on webOS. The device don't have this function out of the box and these product weren't available when it went to market so the statement is true.

Edit: For clarity it is the same as saying that the TouchPad or iPad have limited storage (only 32GB max). The statement is true. However, you can buy a wireless hard drive that can have up to 500GB of space on it for the device or you can use a media sync program to sync data from your computer. The first statement is still true. They do have limited space, you just found a work around for the problem. Neither iPads have SD card slots and only the iPad 2 has HDMI out = True.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by k4ever; 09/23/2011 at 04:53 AM.

You don't need a third party program to load files unto the TouchPad. As soon as you connect it to your computer it becomes a USB hard drive and you just drag and drop files to it or off it. No need for a special folder for your files either. The TouchPad will find your files after you open the appropriate app. In other words if you put an MP3 file on the TouchPad when you open the music app it will find that file and make it available. As an iPod owner, I hate iTunes with a passion. Too many times it has messed up the library on my iPods because it had a problem with people owning more than one. It also makes the MP3 files non-human readable on the iPod. It changes the name of you file to something that only the iPod/iPad can read which makes it next to impossible to transfer your music from the iPod/iPad to another device without some serious third party hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by dept27 View Post
    I just tell them its an iPad 3 and I'm testing it.

I'm going to remember that one.
    I had a fat lady walk up to me and ask "1 or 2?" repeatedly and when I said I have no idea what she was on about she asked me whether it was an iPad 1 or an iPad 2.

I haven't used the USB port on my Touchpads for a while. Charging is done
    on the Touchstone. File transfer is via Wi-Fi only.(PC to Wi-Fi to Touchpad)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I haven't used the USB port on my Touchpads for a while. Charging is done
    on the Touchstone. File transfer is via Wi-Fi only.(PC to Wi-Fi to Touchpad)
    I haven't used the wifi feature on either iPad or tp, because when you are transferring gigabytes of info, it's too slow. I just assume people are transferring large files these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    You don't need a third party program to load files unto the TouchPad. As soon as you connect it to your computer it becomes a USB hard drive and you just drag and drop files to it or off it. No need for a special folder for your files either. The TouchPad will find your files after you open the appropriate app. In other words if you put an MP3 file on the TouchPad when you open the music app it will find that file and make it available. As an iPod owner, I hate iTunes with a passion. Too many times it has messed up the library on my iPods because it had a problem with people owning more than one. It also makes the MP3 files non-human readable on the iPod. It changes the name of you file to something that only the iPod/iPad can read which makes it next to impossible to transfer your music from the iPod/iPad to another device without some serious third party hacking.

I don't have, nor have I ever had these issues? But I use iTunes with my mac. I have multiple iPods, iPads and iPhones I have used on the same account for years and every device has been recognized, I've never lost any files or had files renamed or anything you have said. But I have also never used iTunes on a pc. Oh and mp3's can easily be played and transferred on your iPod or iPhone. No hacking required.

P.s. Have you used Kalemsofts video software? I ask, because it sounds like you haven't a clue about how to load vids via his app.
    Last edited by Mac.World; 09/23/2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Originally Posted by Mac.World

Hahaha this sound so funny. Like you're trying to keep up.
    ??? Keep up with what? Stating a fact? Neither the TP or iPad can play any video format out of the box. They both require 3rd party apps to play them. If you did't know this, then at least now you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time View Post
    I had a fat lady walk up to me and ask "1 or 2?" repeatedly and when I said I have no idea what she was on about she asked me whether it was an iPad 1 or an iPad 2.
    Did she start singing when you told her it was a TouchPad?
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
    "-Oh, cool, is that an ipad?"

"-Yes, this is the IPad 4! I took from a drunk, while was in a Cuppertino bar! Do you want see the IPhone 6, with a slide keyboard?"

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It all adds up - especially when you only paid 89 for the thing to start with - 5 here, 4 there for apps with uncertain futures.

I come from an Android background, we are know for being cheap.. sorry I meant thrifty.
    I don't think it's just Android. iOS has a free app for most everything and they perform as well as most paid apps. Even the paid apps generally run $.99-$1.99. Only high end games and some fully functional pieces of specialized software run for $5+ The stuff I see people charging $5 for on the HP app site is ridiculous.
    Yes people ask that because the ipad has sold tens of millions of tablets. It's the only or one of the few tablets anyone has ever seen someone else own. So by default, uninformed people see a tablet and assume it's an iPad (which, mathematically speaking they'd be right to assume, given that they know little else about tablets).
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast