Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dept27 View Post
    I just tell them its an iPad 3 and I'm testing it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    got to start using this one

Quote Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
    4 years ago..
    Colleague: Is that a Blackberry?
    - when I bought my Treo 680 , because it had a QWERTY keyboard on it.
    This afternoon over coffee..
    Me: I am getting my new phone this weekend (waiting from my Pre3 to arrive).
    Colleague: Is that an iPhone?
    i got the same thing with my centro and treo pro, boy it got irritating, i showed them multitasking on my centro with TealOS(webOS emulator), still one of sickest OS's out there to be able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    Best comment of the thread!
    Originally Posted by sledge007
    lol, although I take mine out a lot, I don't generally have it out in plain sight unless I know I'm going to be doing some serious waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I just wanted to quote this completely out of context

how do you respond to that one?
    Last edited by h2o826; 09/22/2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: quote broken =/
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I had that very conversation last week with a woman on a train. She even said "I thought it would be lighter than this?"

I think ipad is (with the general public at least) starting to become like 'Hoover' in that it's the generic term people are using for the class of devices.
    Can I have a Kleenex?

It doesn't help when I keep my Touchpad
    in a Griffin folio case made for the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsm1th View Post
    Stranger/Friends: Is it an iPad?
    Me; No it's not, and it can play mkv files and truly "multi-task".
    No... the Touchpad cannot play MKVs, unless you buy the app for it.
    (a buggy $6.99 app call Kalemsoft)

My Samsung Galaxy Tablet can play 1080p/720p MKV videos straight
    out of the box with its built-in video player. In fact, my old Samsung
    Galaxy S smartphone can also play 720p mkv videos without the need
    for any additional apps.
    this used to be the case. Have you checked prices lately? MacBook Air wannabes cost the same or more in most cases. Imac's and similar all in one computers are roughly e same price. MacBook Pro's and Mac Pro's still cost more than their equivalent counterparts in most cases, not all!, but in most cases this is still true.
    I personally don't give a crap how my Macs look, I love the OS, and it's the only reason I stick with Apple and it's high prices. Don't want to try that Hackintosh stuff, I just want to pull it out of the box, restore my old Mac from my Time Machine backup, and go about my day.

But it doesn't hurt that the products look dead sexy
    k4ever likes this.
    You think anyone really wants an uktraportable from Dell?
    No!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    So have you tried Advanced Browser? and have you tried opening up 5 tabs in quick succession(say with bookmarks, for as quick as possible) and once done opening the 5th, return to the first and it's done loading?

I'm no expert, per se, but that seems like it's doing more than one thing at one time..... (and I totally understand with the stock browser, and if you have 2 or 3 of those cards open, and they do pause)....but try what I just suggested, and see for yourself.
    I'm buying my first WebOS app because of you!
    sledge007 likes this.
    When people as me if my 32GB touchpad is an iPad, I just say:
    "no, and it certainly isn't as useful or nice as an iPad. But it cost me 75% less than an iPad and pretty much does exactly the same things"
    wordsm1th likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Honestly, I think your right.

It's the xerox of the future . I'm just sick of trying to explain the differences. Sure, it's an ipad.
    Yep, it's an iPad with an HP logo on the back. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I just wanted to quote this completely out of context
    I should have explained better I guess. I take mine to work with me every night. It's in my work truck all night. I don't ride transit, as I'm 2km from work. So for me taking it with me wherever I go, usually consists of taking it to work, as I don't venture very far during the day.

Glad I amused you....wasn't my intention though
    Oh I knew what you meant, I took it out of context cause it made it sound like you were talking about your Special Purpose
    sledge007 likes this.
    I take mine to work and sometimes even use it there. For some reason, my coworkers never confuse it with an iPad. Never.

-- HP employee
    The biggest problem with your main argument is that the TouchPad was not released last year. It was released this year after the iPad 2 had been out for months already. You don't compare Canon's newest top DSLR with Nikon's last model do you? No, you compare it to Nikon's current top DSLR offering...

I think you are missing my point so I need to clarify. The iPad and even the iPad 2 are missing features that some Android tablets have, like SD card slots, USB host mode, and HDMI out (iPad 1 only). The iPad 2 isn't the thinnest or lightest tablet on the market anymore or even the most portable. When you bring that up to die hard iPad owners they brush that off. They are happy with the iPad as it is and obviously a lack of those features did not effect sales. What I think that die hard iPad fans fail to understand is that everybody does that for the devices they chose to buy. No one cared about the lack of a rear camera on the iPad even though the original Galaxy Tab and Archos tablets had one. That was not a must have feature. It only magically became one once it was added to the iPad 2. No one cared about thinnest when the iPad was chubby, only after the sleek iPad 2 was released. It's weird how something only seems to matter once Apple does it and really didn't matter when someone else was doing it before. It is somehow revolutionary after Apple gets on board? Just like apps were meaningless when Windows Mobile and PalmOS were out but all of sudden became meaningful when Apple launched the "there's an app for that" campaign. Die hard Apple fans forget where they came from with a quickness then crap on those who are just starting out for not being where they are now.

Wow a lot of errors in this post. The ipad1 and ipad2 have very slick and simple dongles for hdmi, usb and sd. They wanted the tablet itself to be very thin and not bogged down by slots etc thus the inexpensive dongles. I'd prefer to have them onboard but i dont use them that much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I think you are missing my point so I need to clarify. The iPad and even the iPad 2 are missing features that some Android tablets have, like SD card slots, USB host mode, and HDMI out (iPad 1 only). The iPad 2 isn't the thinnest or lightest tablet on the market anymore or even the most portable. When you bring that up to die hard iPad owners they brush that off. They are happy with the iPad as it is and obviously a lack of those features did not effect sales. What I think that die hard iPad fans fail to understand is that everybody does that for the devices they chose to buy. No one cared about the lack of a rear camera on the iPad even though the original Galaxy Tab and Archos tablets had one. That was not a must have feature. It only magically became one once it was added to the iPad 2. No one cared about thinnest when the iPad was chubby, only after the sleek iPad 2 was released. It's weird how something only seems to matter once Apple does it and really didn't matter when someone else was doing it before. It is somehow revolutionary after Apple gets on board? Just like apps were meaningless when Windows Mobile and PalmOS were out but all of sudden became meaningful when Apple launched the "there's an app for that" campaign. Die hard Apple fans forget where they came from with a quickness then crap on those who are just starting out for not being where they are now.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    This topic is awesome. No joke, I was gonna start the same one. I get this at least a couple times per day.. "how do you like your ipad?"
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    So why did you buy it if your phone does all that for you and your goal is to emulate your phone's OS? My Pre surfs the web and plays games also. I bought the TouchPad for the larger screen, Flash, and document editing, which the Pre doesn't have. Where you one of the ones in line for the first iPhone and Droid also? Weird that you admit being a sheep.

Edit: Answered my own question in the first sentence.
    Reasons I Bought The TouchPad:

1. It was $150.

2. I love the Android OS and after seeing the video from the person that had Android pre-installed on their TouchPad I was convinced a port wasn't too far away. Admittedly, I didn't research the product at all before buying it. I didn't even read up about anything webOS related until after I placed my order. The extent of my knowledge about the TouchPad was what I saw in the 1 or 2 commercials they had and the short amount of time (less than 2 minutes before moving on to the Android tablets) I played with one at Best Buy when they first came out. As much as I love Android, I'm not paying $400+ for a tablet when my phone cost less than that. $150, on the other hand, was a great price for what it could potentially do in the near future.

3. "Thrill of the chase" getting something everyone wanted. It's kind of like the rush some people get during Black Friday except I didn't have to wait hours in line or get trampled in a stampede of people. It took me less than a week to get one after the fire sale was announced as opposed to people that have been trying every day for the past month. I just happened to get lucky with my order.

4. Just a cool tech toy to waste time on since I just graduated from college and have nothing to do at the moment while I'm trying to find a job. I pretty much just play N64, SNES and old DOS games on it when I do use it.

5. It was $150.

And yes I bought an iPhone but I had a Windows Mobile phone and Blackberry before that. I didn't get the iPhone until months after the 3G came out and I sold it before the 3GS was released to buy another Blackberry. I got a refurbished iPhone 3G for $99 and I sold it for $200+. Only had the iPhone for a total of 3 months. I stuck to Blackberry for another year after that before switching to an Android phone and haven't looked back since. I don't see how wanting a $150 Android tablet with a dual-core processor, 1 GB of RAM and 32GB of memory makes me a "sheep" but to each his own.
    itsmeoreo likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dept27 View Post
    I just tell them its an iPad 3 and I'm testing it.
    Hahahahahahaha lol
    Great idea, that's exactly what I'm going to start doing

-- Sent from my PalmPad
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    my wife calls it an iPad, because she knows it torques me when she does it. I even got her a touchpad and a case, because she said she wanted one so badly, and it's STILL in the box a month later. sometimes I wonder aloud when she's going to get her touchpad setup, and she smiles and says "I'll open up MY iPad when I'M ready for it". my wife is just feisty that way, yet somehow manages to be adorable at the same time.
    You have to forgive them. To the general public, iPad is synonymous with tablet. Any pad, they will call an iPad. So even if you tell them it's a Samsung Galaxy 10.2, they'll still consider it an iPad.

But the whole irony of it is, the iPad isn't even a tablet. Unless you consider the iPod Touch to be a tablet. In which case, it would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsm1th View Post
    Stranger/Friends: Is it an iPad?
    Me; No it's not, and it can play mkv files and truly "multi-task".

PS: This comes from an Apple fan who bought the TouchPad for the low price during firesale and is now truly impressed.

I have both and the iPad can play mkv files. It can play any file I've thrown at it.
    ^ But where do you put the file? Cause I haven't been able to figure out video on the Touchpad yet.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast