Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 103
Like Tree76Likes
  1. #41  
    if I want to play with a iPad I just take out my iphone,its the same imho. I'm in contract with att, and get a new phone in march, I'm already looking at webOS phones, mainly on ebay, slim pickings at the store. But after my experience, let me stress that, MY experience, which has been a good one, I would rather want webOS phone than another iphone.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

    What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

    turdb0 likes this.
  2. keplenk's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    #42  
    Lol .. this is a funny thread.

    Yesterday I was in Honda having my car fixed and I brought my TP. A guy went ahead and asked me

    whoa! You got an awesome iPad case there (he was talking about the original HP folio).

    I just laughed and said, no its not an Ipad. I could see his puzzled face. Its the HP touchpad .. you know .. the manny pacquiao advertisement?

    His priceless reply: Yeah, I saw that ... but really? ... that's not an Ipad?

    Lol
    knownboyofno likes this.
  3. #43  
    "Is that an ipad?"
    "Yes, it's my maxi-pad"
  4. #44  
    i get that question all the time. i just say "nah.. i wish it was but i paid $500 less than one and ill have android on it soon." i also get asked "so what can do you do with it?" that one usually gets me stumped. then i tell them "i dunno i guess i just play a bunch of games and surf the web even though my phone can already do that. whatever, i only paid $150 for it and got something everyone wanted at the time even though i didnt really need it."

    So why did you buy it if your phone does all that for you and your goal is to emulate your phone's OS? My Pre surfs the web and plays games also. I bought the TouchPad for the larger screen, Flash, and document editing, which the Pre doesn't have. Where you one of the ones in line for the first iPhone and Droid also? Weird that you admit being a sheep.

    Edit: Answered my own question in the first sentence.
    Mac.World likes this.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by dept27 View Post
    I just tell them its an iPad 3 and I'm testing it.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    off topic but what is Communities? Is it a better way to browse forums?
    brum likes this.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    No it wouldn't be. It would sell millions because people buy Apple to buy Apple. Has always been that way even when they weren't popular. Brand name has meaning. It also causes people to make up excuses for things that are missing from their device that other devices have. Look at the iPhone 1, no cut and paste, no voice dialing, no document editing, no.... this list went on and on. What it did have was a sleek design, capacitive touchscreen, gyroscope, and longer battery life. People made up excuses for the lack of all of the other features just to get one of the four I just listed. The people who stood in lines for the phones on the first day were die-hard Mac fans. That artificial demand blasted across the news drove real demand for the devices and more excuses were made by others for the features it lacked. Funny thing is that when new devices come to the market that are not Apple products, the same people who made up excuses for Apple seem to forget those excuses when comparing Apple products to the new devices. Funny how quickly Apple fans forget. I make it a point to correct anybody that calls my TouchPad an iPad out of respect for the tablet market as a whole.
    I think this is an oversimplification. There are a lot of people that buy Apple products because Apple consistently is rated number 1 in customer satisfaction across all their products, reviews are nearly always favorable and people like the fact that if they have an issue with their product, they can take it down to their local Apple store and talk to a real person (unlike many companies that route your call to someone in Mumbai).

    Then there are your diehard Apple fans. Yes, they buy anything with an Apple logo. But you also have diehard BMW, Android, Star Trek, etc fans.

    By the way, you bring up the first iPhone and the lack of features it had. You do realize that the first iPhone started the craze of candybar phones with capacitive screens. Before that it was the Motorola Razr! It's kind of hard to fault the original iphone which essentially recreated the smartphone category.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by froggys View Post
    off topic but what is Communities? Is it a better way to browse forums?
    It's an app.

    Introducing Communities for Touchpad
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    Thanks, after I posted I thought i remembered seeing a thread and found that one lol thanks again, looks really kool!!
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It all adds up - especially when you only paid 89 for the thing to start with - 5 here, 4 there for apps with uncertain futures.

    I come from an Android background, we are know for being cheap.. sorry I meant thrifty.
    Not from the north of England are you? Or dare I say Scotland?

    Just pulling your leg mate
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    I think this is an oversimplification. There are a lot of people that buy Apple products because Apple consistently is rated number 1 in customer satisfaction across all their products, reviews are nearly always favorable and people like the fact that if they have an issue with their product, they can take it down to their local Apple store and talk to a real person (unlike many companies that route your call to someone in Mumbai).

    Then there are your diehard Apple fans. Yes, they buy anything with an Apple logo. But you also have diehard BMW, Android, Star Trek, etc fans.

    By the way, you bring up the first iPhone and the lack of features it had. You do realize that the first iPhone started the craze of candybar phones with capacitive screens. Before that it was the Motorola Razr! It's kind of hard to fault the original iphone which essentially recreated the smartphone category.
    Yeah it's kind of ridiculous to say people will buy any Apple product just because it is Apple. For the most part, any "sheep" are just people indifferent to understanding exactly what they are buying. They don't want to know about a product's advantages vs. disadvantages, what the software or hardware is capable of; they just want a device that's simple to use. It has nothing to do with it being Apple but Apple was just smart enough to realize the importance of making devices like that to win over the majority of consumers.

    Personally, I think shoppers nowadays are idiots. They swipe their cards without even having a basic understanding of what they're buying. These are the same people that ask redundant questions because it's too much work to do a thorough search or the people who yell at IT or customer service reps because they expect miracles.

    There are people with smartphones that basically think the app store they use is the same as someone else with a different phone OS. They don't get it and they don't care. It's incredible!
    I am, therefore I think
  11. Dionte's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I had that very conversation last week with a woman on a train. She even said "I thought it would be lighter than this?"

    I think ipad is (with the general public at least) starting to become like 'Hoover' in that it's the generic term people are using for the class of devices.
    Last week someone said they thought iPad's were larger when they saw mine.
  12. wordsm1th's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that......I was leaving it alone.....but certainly had a negative tone when I first read it.
    You would not believe how stupid I felt when I came back to the post to find I had written "not" in place of "now" :P
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    I think this is an oversimplification. There are a lot of people that buy Apple products because Apple consistently is rated number 1 in customer satisfaction across all their products, reviews are nearly always favorable and people like the fact that if they have an issue with their product, they can take it down to their local Apple store and talk to a real person (unlike many companies that route your call to someone in Mumbai).

    Then there are your diehard Apple fans. Yes, they buy anything with an Apple logo. But you also have diehard BMW, Android, Star Trek, etc fans.

    By the way, you bring up the first and the lack of features it had. You do realize that the first iPhone started the craze of candybar phones with capacitive screens. Before that it was the Motorola Razr! It's kind of hard to fault the original iphone which essentially recreated the smartphone category.
    I will answer your last question first, yes! I thank Apple for that! My Windows Mobile Phone was a pain in the **** to use, even though it had more apps by a large margin than the iPhone did. Now all new smartphones have capacitive screens with large, easy to push buttons and icons.

    Apple also has some darn good customer service if you are near an Apple Store. The small town I'm in right now doesn't have one. We are stuck going to BestBuy who has to ship the device back to Apple for repair or use Apple tech support which does have people overseas answering the phones (most companies do). When I as in Arizona I had to drive to the Apple Store in Scottsdale to get my son's iPod fixed. However, once I got there they were not able to fix it and gave me another one without any paperwork or hassle. First class service! I remembered that which is why I had over 4 iPods so far.

    The problem I have is with the forgetfullness of the diehard Apple fans who seemed to have popped up here lately. "Ugh! The TouchPad doesn't have a rear camera! How dare HP for releasing a device without one." Wait a minute, the iPad 1 didn't have one either. Where was the outrage then? That's right it didn't need one because it was "ridiculous to have one on a 10 inch tablet anyway" (qouted from an iPad user). "Oh my God! The TouchPad did not have document editing out of the box?" Well neither did iOS when it first hit the seen, and the Pre's screen was too small to make document editing worthwhile which was also the excuse given by an iPhone user. Still no outrage then. "Yuck! The TouchPad is too thick and heavy to carry!" It is the same size and almost the same weight as the iPad 1 was. You can even use the same covers. Where was the outrage then? Did you cancel your gym membership and now your arms are weak? "WebOS lacks apps!" Windows Mobile had 100x the apps that iOS had when it came out. Wasn't a problem then!

    I don't mine doing honest comparison but remember that the TouchPad is not an iPad. The TouchPad is much more to us webOS users because it allows us to use our favorite OS on a larger screen where it was meant to be. Whether it is the cards like multi-tasking, the addition of Flash, or the full acceptance of the homebrew community, I like the TouchPad because it is not like anything else I've used. So no, my TouchPad is not an iPad! It is more than that!
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Yeah it's kind of ridiculous to say people will buy any Apple product just because it is Apple. For the most part, any "sheep" are just people indifferent to understanding exactly what they are buying. They don't want to know about a product's advantages vs. disadvantages, what the software or hardware is capable of; they just want a device that's simple to use. It has nothing to do with it being Apple but Apple was just smart enough to realize the importance of making devices like that to win over the majority of consumers.

    Personally, I think shoppers nowadays are idiots. They swipe their cards without even having a basic understanding of what they're buying. These are the same people that ask redundant questions because it's too much work to do a thorough search or the people who yell at IT or customer service reps because they expect miracles.

    There are people with smartphones that basically think the app store they use is the same as someone else with a different phone OS. They don't get it and they don't care. It's incredible!
    I think you are undervaluing the power of the Apple name. People recognize the logo and trust the products. You are right, people couldn't tell you the specs on the product, but they recognize the name. I know people who buy BMWs just for the name. I know a lot of Apple users who do the same. It doesn't matter if a similar laptop is 1/3rd of the price and has more features. The MacBook Pro is elegant in its brushed aluminum frame with its cool Apple logo on the back. You see it in movies, you want it. You buy it because it is Apple. You stay because of the percieved quality and Apple's reputation even though you paid 3x more for it.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I think you are undervaluing the power of the Apple name. People recognize the logo and trust the products. You are right, people couldn't tell you the specs on the product, but they recognize the name. I know people who buy BMWs just for the name. I know a lot of Apple users who do the same. It doesn't matter if a similar laptop is 1/3rd of the price and has more features. The MacBook Pro is elegant in its brushed aluminum frame with its cool Apple logo on the back. You see it in movies, you want it. You buy it because it is Apple. You stay because of the percieved quality and Apple's reputation even though you paid 3x more for it.
    I'm not undervaluing it at all. I'm just looking at the situation objectively. Overall, what I'm talking about has nothing to do with Apple per say. I am talking about the experience and the "perceived value" as you even said yourself.

    I study Marketing/Advertising/Brands in college and I've worked in retail in computer/tablet sales for years. I know exactly why people pick Apple because even though I don't own any Apple products and never will, I have convinced customers who never previously considered it to buy an Apple product over the competition. I recommend based on each person's needs and expectations.
    I am, therefore I think
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    The problem I have is with the forgetfullness of the diehard Apple fans who seemed to have popped up here lately. "Ugh! The TouchPad doesn't have a rear camera! How dare HP for releasing a device without one." Wait a minute, the iPad 1 didn't have one either. Where was the outrage then? That's right it didn't need one because it was "ridiculous to have one on a 10 inch tablet anyway" (qouted from an iPad user). "Oh my God! The TouchPad did not have document editing out of the box?" Well neither did iOS when it first hit the seen, and the Pre's screen was too small to make document editing worthwhile which was also the excuse given by an iPhone user. Still no outrage then. "Yuck! The TouchPad is too thick and heavy to carry!" It is the same size and almost the same weight as the iPad 1 was.
    Releasing a tablet in 2011 with 2010's features and specs is not a good way to stave off criticism. I wouldn't call it outrage, I'd call it justifiably dismissing an already-obsolete product. If you want to be angry at someone, be angry at HP for charging so much for so little.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I will answer your last question first, yes! I thank Apple for that! My Windows Mobile Phone was a pain in the **** to use, even though it had more apps by a large margin than the iPhone did. Now all new smartphones have capacitive screens with large, easy to push buttons and icons.

    Apple also has some darn good customer service if you are near an Apple Store. The small town I'm in right now doesn't have one. We are stuck going to BestBuy who has to ship the device back to Apple for repair or use Apple tech support which does have people overseas answering the phones (most companies do). When I as in Arizona I had to drive to the Apple Store in Scottsdale to get my son's iPod fixed. However, once I got there they were not able to fix it and gave me another one without any paperwork or hassle. First class service! I remembered that which is why I had over 4 iPods so far.

    The problem I have is with the forgetfullness of the diehard Apple fans who seemed to have popped up here lately. "Ugh! The TouchPad doesn't have a rear camera! How dare HP for releasing a device without one." Wait a minute, the iPad 1 didn't have one either. Where was the outrage then? That's right it didn't need one because it was "ridiculous to have one on a 10 inch tablet anyway" (qouted from an iPad user). "Oh my God! The TouchPad did not have document editing out of the box?" Well neither did iOS when it first hit the seen, and the Pre's screen was too small to make document editing worthwhile which was also the excuse given by an iPhone user. Still no outrage then. "Yuck! The TouchPad is too thick and heavy to carry!" It is the same size and almost the same weight as the iPad 1 was. You can even use the same covers. Where was the outrage then? Did you cancel your gym membership and now your arms are weak? "WebOS lacks apps!" Windows Mobile had 100x the apps that iOS had when it came out. Wasn't a problem then!

    I don't mine doing honest comparison but remember that the TouchPad is not an iPad. The TouchPad is much more to us webOS users because it allows us to use our favorite OS on a larger screen where it was meant to be. Whether it is the cards like multi-tasking, the addition of Flash, or the full acceptance of the homebrew community, I like the TouchPad because it is not like anything else I've used. So no, my TouchPad is not an iPad! It is more than that!
    The biggest problem with your main argument is that the TouchPad was not released last year. It was released this year after the iPad 2 had been out for months already. You don't compare Canon's newest top DSLR with Nikon's last model do you? No, you compare it to Nikon's current top DSLR offering...
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    Not from the north of England are you? Or dare I say Scotland?

    Just pulling your leg mate

    No need, I *am* from the north of England!

    Meanness is a virtue all the ladies look for up here!
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    The MacBook Pro is elegant in its brushed aluminum frame with its cool Apple logo on the back. You see it in movies, you want it. You buy it because it is Apple. You stay because of the percieved quality and Apple's reputation even though you paid 3x more for it.
    this used to be the case. Have you checked prices lately? MacBook Air wannabes cost the same or more in most cases. Imac's and similar all in one computers are roughly e same price. MacBook Pro's and Mac Pro's still cost more than their equivalent counterparts in most cases, not all!, but in most cases this is still true.

    It's irnoic that Apple is actually on the low end of pricing now in the ultraportable Market, but still maintains a quality name. You think anyone really wants an uktraportable from Dell?
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
  20. #60  
    Posted a TouchPad on Craigslist this morning. First e-mail to reply...

    Subject: HP i pad

    "hi my name is Sandra and very intrested in your ipad please call me when i can go buy (phone numbers redacted)"
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions