Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I have the 32GB Touchpad. Preware, etc., installed. Love it.

I have an opportunity to trade up for a 64GB Touchpad.

Opening it up to the forum for questions:

1. Other than twice the memory, do I gain anything?

2. Any downsides to trading up (e.g., Preware/WebOS Doctor compatibility/availability, etc.,)?

Thanks in advance for thoughts.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    nope. other than the larger capacity its exactly the same system internally
    its just a memory bump and a minor speed bump. Of course, its up to you if the external color is a bump up.

so its really up to you.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    No downsides. Take the 64gb
    So it uses the same doctor as the existing TouchPads?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    its just a memory bump and a minor speed bump. Of course, its up to you if the external color is a bump up.

so its really up to you.
    Isn't it the same identical cpu just clocked at 1.5 (likely closer to the real factory speed) instead of 1.2 (likely factory underclocked)?

My name is Mike, and I'm a flashaholic. But thanks to my sponsor, MIUI, I've been clean for weeks.
    I have a white 64GB 'panda pad' TP - it's physically identical to the 16/32GB Black ones as far as I can tell (other than the colour and increased storage).

I've found the extra storage useful as I have been able to load it up with loads of music and movies etc. and I'll probably dual boot with cyanogenmod when that is released so additional storage will again be handy.

I assume the stock kernel must be different though seeing as it runs at 1.5GHz from the factory. I have no idea if the kernel etc. differs in any other way though.

I did wonder whether if I ever needed to doctor it back to 'default' it would mean I would lose the stock 1.5GHz kernel for good as I assume that doctoring would install the standard 1.2GHz kernel found on 16/32GB TPs. There is of course the 1.5GHZ Uberkernel option but then of course that isn't stock.

Not necessarily a problem - just a thought!
  8. twe
    Find a way to dump the kernel so other 16/32gb owners can have the official HP version of the 1.5GHz kernel....
    I was asked to do it before in another thread and am happy to but I don't know how. I asked how to do it and it was answered with a resounding silence so I assumed no-one was interested. If anyone can provide instructions I'm more than happy to give it a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Are you even close to running out of space on your current 32 gigger?
    Easily. Barely fits 30 episodes.
    I just want to know where to find the 64gb TouchPad and what is the average Price, or what is a fair Price?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    OT:

I am definitely interested and will be looking into figuring out how to do it and I will let you know if I come up with something. Others interested be warned I have no knowledge working on webOS so don't expect too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ns1959 View Post
    I was asked to do it before in another thread and am happy to but I don't know how. I asked how to do it and it was answered with a resounding silence so I assumed no-one was interested. If anyone can provide instructions I'm more than happy to give it a go.
    @the OP, one downside may be harder to get warranty coverage/replacement, then again could be easier since there are far fewer out in the wild... just depends on what HP's warranty repair/replacement stock looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by ns1959 View Post
    Just a reminder providing the kernel would be against forum rules of distributing copyrighted information.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I traded up from the 32 to the 64, but i did install the uberkernel, seemed a little more sluggish (to me) than my 32 even though its supp to be clocked faster. the sluggishness went away with uberkernel. Me and a friend both got the 64 at the same time and i did find a small bug if you use preware and internalz. Install internalz (and corresponding files) FIRST using WOSQI, not preware, reboot device, THEN install preware with WOSQI. It had to be done this way on both our 64gb to get internalz to work, not sure why.

i paid 400 on ebay, shipped
    ----------------------------------------
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be, unnatural"
    Quote Originally Posted by arachnoman666 View Post
    I traded up from the 32 to the 64, but i did install the uberkernel, seemed a little more sluggish (to me) than my 32 even though its supp to be clocked faster. the sluggishness went away with uberkernel. Me and a friend both got the 64 at the same time and i did find a small bug if you use preware and internalz. Install internalz (and corresponding files) FIRST using WOSQI, not preware, reboot device, THEN install preware with WOSQI. It had to be done this way on both our 64gb to get internalz to work, not sure why.

i paid 400 on ebay, shipped
    Were you trying to install Internalz with WOSQI or Preware?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Just a reminder providing the kernel would be against forum rules of distributing copyrighted information.
    I guess being new to the HP community, I am not sure of every communities odd rules, but I cannot see how the compiled binary could be construed as copywritten information. I understand not posting warez, but that is one odd rule...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Were you trying to install Internalz with WOSQI or Preware?
    I first did it the way I did with my 32gb, using preware. But, I found with the 64gb, before i installed preware, I had to install internalz with WOSQI, rebooted device, then installed preware via WOSQI. Not sure why, but its the only way i could get internalz to work on my and my buddies 64gb. all i know is that doing it this way, internalz works great...at least for me.
    ----------------------------------------
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be, unnatural"
    Are you even close to running out of space on your current 32 gigger?
    I recently got a 64gb touchpad on ebay (sold my 16gb touchpad), and I have to say that I was surprised how snappy it was. I was thinking HP did some improvements other than the 1.5ghz increase. My 16gb touchpad did have the uberkernel and other patches - I was thinking that some of these patches were included the 64gb one because of it's responsiveness. I plan to install PreWare on it and just install the logging/queue related patches (no uberkernal since it is already running at 1.5ghz). I'll report my findings.
    I'm running f15c kernel on my 64gb @ 1.94. Runs great!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast