Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Jay,

I don't think it has a bright future. Whitman's answer to a question about webOS after her take over was the same exploring options crap that HP spouted under Leo.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Well in all fairness, she has been the CEO for only a few hours now, at days end.

She's not going to announce this whole entire reversal or anything. She said what she needed to say, as much as some may not like it.

What she now needs to do is take a deep look at where HP is, where they could be (both new and same strategy).. implement the strategy within the organization first, and then she can come out and deliver her strategy to the public.

If she just sat down today and spoke her mind, it would not be seen as strategic and i think people would be more frustrated/confused and look at it being just as mismanaged as Leo.
    Anyone who said webOS 3.0 was 'amazing' is a whitewasher trying to justify their $500 TouchPad purchase.

It's got some cool feature, but implementation and performance is far from amazing. It's still got a ton of bugs and issues.
    Anyone who said webOS 3.0 was 'amazing' is a whitewasher trying to justify their $500 TouchPad purchase.

It's got some cool feature, but implementation and performance is far from amazing. It's still got a ton of bugs and issues.
    Amazing like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

bevcraw likes this.
    I am a huge Apple ****** who finds Android to be a steaming POS. But even I have to admit webOS has/had alot of potential, sure 3.0 has it's fair share of bugs, but nothing a few updates couldn't have solved.

Heck almost all bugs have been fixed by this community.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Yeah i love my ipad 2. given the choice i would take the ipad 2 over the touchpad although i liked the touchpad software so much i bought a pre 2 to replace my droid incredible and used both tablets daily. An ideal situation for me would be webOS on and ipad 2 type hardware tablet. Apps aside i think the form factor of the ipad 2 plays a huge role in peoples choices. The touchpad is plastic and glossy both of which are not my preference yet i hate itunes with a passion. Ironically alot of times things like sd ports and such come with issues themselves in the sense that they are separate and dont function together with the internal memory of the device. Hdmi is worthless to many. Wireless streaming will be the way to go when technology gets there. It is possible to love 2 products. Own them both as i do and hope they both succeed. WebOS needs hardware to match the amazing software. They need a htc type phone and a more solidly built tablet and the software will shine. To kill it is pure stupidity cause its miles ahead of ios when fully functional without a dozen patches to get it there. Like it or not as amazing as preware is im sure many many people pull products out of the box and use them and do an ota update. Thats the extent of their knowledge. Thats where hp needed to be. All the great things on preware and on this site should be just adding gravy to already great potatoes lol
    bobwonderful likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    You just don't get it. I am not here telling anyone that their choice was bad. I own the damn tablet. There are MASSIVE problems with it. There are NO solutions yet to those problems. And some people keep telling me that either they aren't problems or that what I am observing is actually wrong. So basically what you are saying is that if the community doesn't have a solution to a problem, we should be banned from discussing it? And when others deny the problem we should be banned from showing them that they are wrong?

I don't play devils advocate for anything. I play "I just bought this thing and it is missing some basic features and other things are buggy" advocate.
    Massive problems? Really? From your point of view, maybe. Let's face it, the only real problem webOS has is that it was publicly decapitated by Leo.

As far as working, my daughter uses hers for browsing, games, YouTube, and to play music. She has not complained once about anything, and she was dead-set on getting an iPad2 before I picked up a firesale TouchPad - to the point where she used to make fun of and downplay my TouchPad. Now that she's got hers, she loves it, it just works for her.

My mother just got her TouchPad this past Tuesday, and she called it amazing. I walked her through setting it up the first time, and how to update some of the apps (Kindle and QuickOffice mainly). She's still getting used to it, but loved the responsiveness/sensitivity of the touchscreen. As for me, I've enjoyed the past few months with mine (but you knew that already). It's helped me get organized like I've never been organized before, keep up on reading/research, and generally have fun. I am now back on the stock kernel, and I don't miss the overclocking kernel at all. I figured that it'd be much worse than when overclocking, but it isn't.

Is it perfect? Of course it isn't, and it would be foolish for anyone to say that about any platform. Does it have massive problems? Not at all, well except for the thing about HP publicly killing it. YOU may have found something that YOU didn't like/couldn't do, but it's a fallacy to assume that all users would think the same.
    LCGuy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bckrupps View Post
    Yeah i love my ipad 2. given the choice i would take the ipad 2 over the touchpad although i liked the touchpad software so much i bought a pre 2 to replace my droid incredible and used both tablets daily. An ideal situation for me would be webOS on and ipad 2 type hardware tablet. Apps aside i think the form factor of the ipad 2 plays a huge role in peoples choices. The touchpad is plastic and glossy both of which are not my preference yet i hate itunes with a passion. Ironically alot of times things like sd ports and such come with issues themselves in the sense that they are separate and dont function together with the internal memory of the device. Hdmi is worthless to many. Wireless streaming will be the way to go when technology gets there. It is possible to love 2 products. Own them both as i do and hope they both succeed. WebOS needs hardware to match the amazing software. They need a htc type phone and a more solidly built tablet and the software will shine. To kill it is pure stupidity cause its miles ahead of ios when fully functional without a dozen patches to get it there. Like it or not as amazing as preware is im sure many many people pull products out of the box and use them and do an ota update. Thats the extent of their knowledge. Thats where hp needed to be. All the great things on preware and on this site should be just adding gravy to already great potatoes lol
    I would totally agree with you on everything you said. Mobile
    Bill has also has a nice post. I think HP will stick to their plan of not making hardware. With that said, the need to push out another update and bump up the software development.

As for Preware, the internals team and any of the other peep that have made patches make it easier for us to tweak out phones and tablet. I don't have an iPad, I have an iTouch that at times drives me nuts. Though I have had webOS for over two years, it is hard to use any other platform. Preware makes it easier to enjoy the webOS platform.

my thought is, if you don't like webOS products, there are other options.
    Jay,

I don't think it has a bright future. Whitman's answer to a question about webOS after her take over was the same exploring options crap that HP spouted under Leo.

They can't change the message right now, but they've fired Leo for a reason, and not exactly the reasons they've explained

Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    I am a huge Apple ****** who finds Android to be a steaming POS. But even I have to admit webOS has/had alot of potential, sure 3.0 has it's fair share of bugs, but nothing a few updates couldn't have solved.

Heck almost all bugs have been fixed by this community.
    It's got some cool features for sure. But it's nowhere near polished. And the bugs/holes in functionality aren't almost all fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    Massive problems? Really? From your point of view, maybe. Let's face it, the only real problem webOS has is that it was publicly decapitated by Leo.
    Um, no. The only real problem with WebOS is that people keep reviving it without fixing bugs. Seriously having a browser that is slower than a single core ipad or android phone is no big deal to you? Its a dual core clocked 89% faster than the original iPad (with Govnah at 1.512ghz) and the browser is SLOWER. That is pathetic and shows how unoptomized the entire platform is. They have no excuse. This isn't android where its a generic OS on hundreds and hundreds of different hardware platforms. They own the OS and the hardware, and it should be RIDICULOUSLY optimized. Also, it doesn't bother you that the tablet just decides not to play sound randomly and you have to restart to get it working again? That is a MASSIVE bug, something that HP should be ashamed of in the year 2011. Its like a Windows Mobile circa 2007 era type bug.
    Um, no. The only real problem with WebOS is that people keep reviving it without fixing bugs. Seriously having a browser that is slower than a single core ipad or android phone is no big deal to you? Its a dual core clocked 89% faster than the original iPad (with Govnah at 1.512ghz) and the browser is SLOWER. That is pathetic and shows how unoptomized the entire platform is. They have no excuse. This isn't android where its a generic OS on hundreds and hundreds of different hardware platforms. They own the OS and the hardware, and it should be RIDICULOUSLY optimized. Also, it doesn't bother you that the tablet just decides not to play sound randomly and you have to restart to get it working again? That is a MASSIVE bug, something that HP should be ashamed of in the year 2011. Its like a Windows Mobile circa 2007 era type bug.
    For something to bug me, I would have to experience it. Quit rehashing the browser issue, it's apparent that that's your only real gripe and those videos you posted came nowhere close to proving the assertions you made. I can browse faster on this TouchPad than on my desktop running Firefox, so don't give me BS about the browser being slow. For 90+% of the users out there, it is fast enough. I really hate that you had a miserable time with the TouchPad, but stop pretending that your issues are shared by everyone.

I could be a quadruple amputee and still have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I've heard someone say they wished a web page would load faster.
    LCGuy and TJB like this.
    His issues ARE shared by everyone -- it's just a matter of how much it bothers them.

If the TouchPad is the only tablet you've ever used, you'll probably be fine with the performance. If you're coming from another tablet though, the TouchPad's sluggishness can be pretty shocking.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    That is a flat out lie. There is no way your desktop with Firefox is slower than the Touchpad. Your desktop would either have to be so ancient or so ridden with malware and your firefox install would have to have so many toolbars installed that I doubt you could even see the forum you are responding to me on. Also, my videos have conclusively shown that the Touchpad is slower than an original 800mhz single core , which is the only other recent mobile device I can test it against while filming with my Android phone. I have also said that I will take requests to make a video showing ANY setting on the Touchpad to prove I am not cheating and to do a test loading ANY site, all on video.

The reason it makes me mad is that its utterly ridiculous for a tablet released over a year after the iPad, with a clock speed 89% faster as well as an ENTIRE EXTRA CORE in the cpu running also 89% faster than the iPad's single core, to be slower at web browsing. I think there is a chance that if more users got mad and forced HP/Palm to address some of the issues instead of just marveling over the cards and synergy, that WebOS would be alive and kicking right now.What makes this even worse is that the lack of apps within the WebOS market makes you use the web browser for more tasks than you would normally, so the browser should be optimized. And the last thing I will say is that I am by far not the only one saying that the browser is disappointing.
    You seem to have a wierd addiction to calling people liars if they don't have the same experiences as you. Stop, take a deep breath, then realize that you are the only one that lives in your world. There are so many factors when it comes to web browsing and network connectivity that it is possible for the TouchPad's browser, on the same network, to be faster than a desktop browser. He did not mention how old his computer was, how much memory it had, or what browser he was using.

Face it, not too many people notice enough of a speed difference to care about the browser's speed. You, nappy, and your cohorts need to spend your time wisely doing something else.

BTW, there is a thread on a high ping count for the TouchPad and another thread on router settings. Hop into those threads, post your results, and try to help for a change instead of complaining.
    Please talk about the tablet, not each other, please.

<<thread cleaned>>
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    His issues ARE shared by everyone -- it's just a matter of how much it bothers them.

If the TouchPad is the only tablet you've ever used, you'll probably be fine with the performance. If you're coming from another tablet though, the TouchPad's sluggishness can be pretty shocking.
    This is what a lot of it comes down to. For many people, this is their first foray into any sort of mobile OS. And yeah, if I hadn't experienced iOS or Android yet I'd probably think this was an 'amazing' experience. Unfortunately for me I've used better performing OSes so the problems are more glaring.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    This is what a lot of it comes down to. For many people, this is their first foray into any sort of mobile OS. And yeah, if I hadn't experienced iOS or Android yet I'd probably think this was an 'amazing' experience. Unfortunately for me I've used better performing OSes so the problems are more glaring.
    Even for us that have used both iOS and Android for the last 2-3 years webOS is amazing. Bugs aside, the operating system is not as limiting as iOS is. The way Apple does multi-tasking on iOS leaves a lot to be desired. Apple doesn't seem to take too many chances with emerging technologies also, leaving you stuck hoping that the next version of iOS or the iDevice will have features that others have been using for almost a year (once iOS user do get the feature they seem to think that Apple invented it). Android has some of the same problems with multi-tasking as iOS, but then you have to add in the OS and hardware fragmentation. The fragmentation makes for an inconsistent experience with the OS. For the one device that you find that runs Android well and fast, you will find two or three others that don't. Then the hardware makers are pushing you to buy newer hardware all the time. It makes sense since that is the way they make their money. However it means that a good Android device today becomes an obsolete brick tomorrow because of lack of updates and support.

Neither platform seems to like it's hacker community which sets up a cat and mouse game to develop hacker tools.
    TJB likes this.
    What is the 'problem' with multitasking on other OSes? Now I like the TP use of cards for multitasking, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's amazing or way more useful than the other methods. Certainly not enough to give all the other webOS problems a pass.

And why 'bugs aside'? The os has been in existence for years. Why should I simply ignore or gloss over stuff that should have been fixed before they ever released a tablet?
    sinsin07 likes this.
    It's not a "problem" but rather the card layout is an intuitive way to browse multiple sites and easily switch between them that tabs on android or page slots on iOS don't offer. It's very similar to a multi-paned desktop experience. The next closest thing is Safari's layout but the pages reload when you want to switch to them and Safari drops to the dock when you want to switch apps. The iPad1 was very limited in its browsing abilities because of the low memory. I no longer have it because it was stolen a couple months back but the main reason I miss it is because I would like to sell it and regain about $400-500 dollars in my pocket.
    I call it a problem because it takes more steps with Android/iOS to accomplish the same task it takes with fewer steps in webOS. Let's compare default web browser to web browser (and yes I know mobile Safari is faster at loading pages). To switch back and forth between open pages in Android you have to hit the menu button, select the view open pages/windows option, scroll through the open pages, then click on the page you want to view. If you want to go back to the previous page, you have to do the same thing. On webOS you swipe up, select the page's window, then click on it. Mobile Safari is the same. You need to download a third party browser with tabbed browsing to simplify the process.

Take viewing emails. On Android you get a notification that says you have a new email in your account. That's it. You have to open up the email client to see if it is important. Pretty much the same with iOS. On webOS you can browse the email's sender and subject from the notification bar. You can do it for each individual email.You don't even have to waste your time opening up the email client unless the email is important enough to read. Saves a lot of time.

With iOS and Android you can get lost in the middle of tasks. What I mean by this is that on a regular Windows based computer when you have multiple programs opened and minimized they are on the taskbar. You can click on the taskbar and pull the program you want back into focus. WebOS the programs are minimized in cards that are available with one swipe, similar to displaying open windows on you desktop. On Android and iOS you have to hold the home button to see running apps icon, then select the icon to bring the app out of the saved state. It is totally different from a desktop and takes some getting used to. It never becomes second nature and sometimes you forget what you were working on after a while. WebOS even one ups the desktop by pausing full screen 3d games in a window/card while you work on something else, then allowing you to resume the game exactly were you left off less than a second later.

Then there is the issue of closing apps. I don't care how many posts are out on the web telling folks not to exit apps in Android or use a task manager. I still find folks doing it every day thinking it will save battery life (instead of getting rid of the darn auto-updating widgets on their home screen). Bottom line is that like it or not people treat phones like their computers. They want certain things to behave the same. With webOS you flick the card off the screen and the app is closed. With Android you have to launch a task manager, find the app in a list, then tell it to close. iOS makes this task so difficult to execute that it is not worth mentioning.

Tie all of webOS ease of use in with gestures and you have a polished, intuitive solution to multi-tasking that is similar to or best what you are used to on a computer. Android and iOS force you to learn a new way of doing stuff or tries to do it for you. Makes using either a little frustrating for me.

I know your preference may be different, but please don't knock mine. I do know that I am getting a Samsung Epic 4G Touch in November to replace my broke Pre. I would have loved to have that hardware running webOS instead of Android, but at least I can dust off my $50 worth of Android apps.
    LCGuy and TJB like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I call it a problem because it takes more steps with Android/iOS to accomplish the same task it takes with fewer steps in webOS. Let's compare default web browser to web browser (and yes I know mobile Safari is faster at loading pages). To switch back and forth between open pages in Android you have to hit the menu button, select the view open pages/windows option, scroll through the open pages, then click on the page you want to view. If you want to go back to the previous page, you have to do the same thing. On webOS you swipe up, select the page's window, then click on it. Mobile Safari is the same. You need to download a third party browser with tabbed browsing to simplify the process.
    Again, you are COMPLETELY WRONG. I mean come on, Android tablets have tabs first of all. http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/imag...mb-browser.jpg

See? The top there? Those are called tabs. You tap on the one you want and you are instantly taken to that page. So your entire Android rant was wrong.

Take viewing emails. On Android you get a notification that says you have a new email in your account. That's it. You have to open up the email client to see if it is important. Pretty much the same with iOS. On webOS you can browse the email's sender and subject from the notification bar. You can do it for each individual email.You don't even have to waste your time opening up the email client unless the email is important enough to read. Saves a lot of time.
    WRONG. This is what notifications on Android look like:
    http://cdn.androidcommunity.com/wp-c...-M-540x304.jpg

With iOS and Android you can get lost in the middle of tasks. What I mean by this is that on a regular Windows based computer when you have multiple programs opened and minimized they are on the taskbar. You can click on the taskbar and pull the program you want back into focus. WebOS the programs are minimized in cards that are available with one swipe, similar to displaying open windows on you desktop. On Android and iOS you have to hold the home button to see running apps icon, then select the icon to bring the app out of the saved state. It is totally different from a desktop and takes some getting used to. It never becomes second nature and sometimes you forget what you were working on after a while. WebOS even one ups the desktop by pausing full screen 3d games in a window/card while you work on something else, then allowing you to resume the game exactly were you left off less than a second later.
    WRONG. You tap the tasks button and this comes up:
    http://phonerpt.com/wp-content/uploa...k-switcher.jpg

Shows all of your recent programs and allows you to seamlessly jump between them. iOS and Android do the same thing with games. I am getting the feeling like you are trying to act like your Archos tablet running a year old build of Android's PHONE OS is somehow the pinnacle of Android and should be compared to the Touchpad instead of, you know, maybe ANDROIDS TABLET OS????????

Then there is the issue of closing apps. I don't care how many posts are out on the web telling folks not to exit apps in Android or use a task manager. I still find folks doing it every day thinking it will save battery life (instead of getting rid of the darn auto-updating widgets on their home screen). Bottom line is that like it or not people treat phones like their computers. They want certain things to behave the same. With webOS you flick the card off the screen and the app is closed. With Android you have to launch a task manager, find the app in a list, then tell it to close. iOS makes this task so difficult to execute that it is not worth mentioning.
    WRONG. Hit the back button and the app will close. Not that hard really. Also, on Android there is no real need to close an app. Maybe on your tablet running Froyo you need to do more, but on actual TABLET builds of Android you don't.

Tie all of webOS ease of use in with gestures and you have a polished, intuitive solution to multi-tasking that is similar to or best what you are used to on a computer. Android and iOS force you to learn a new way of doing stuff or tries to do it for you. Makes using either a little frustrating for me.

I know your preference may be different, but please don't knock mine. I do know that I am getting a Samsung Epic 4G Touch in November to replace my broke Pre. I would have loved to have that hardware running webOS instead of Android, but at least I can dust off my $50 worth of Android apps.
    No one is knocking your preference. I am just asking you kindly for like the tenth time to stop trying to pass of your experience of Android on an Archos tablet running Froyo as if its the competitor to the Touchpad. I mean the tablet version of Android was launched 6 months before the Touchpad and yet you are still comparing it to a build of Android which launched May 22 2010.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast