Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by morydees View Post
    Just to end the back and forth about LCD "burn-in" existing, let's get everyone up to date

LCDs do actually suffer from what is called Image Persistence, which is their version of "burn in". However, this is rarely a permanent issue and usually goes away over time or with some help.

Some random resources if you'd like to read more:

Wiki: Image persistence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Apple's Warning on their LCDs:Avoiding image persistence on Apple LCD displays
    LCD Pixel Fixer for stuck ones: JScreenFix - Fix stuck pixels and image persistence
    +1 to this, I've never had to return any display due to persistence. In all the LCD displays i've owned/still own, any I've left on for hours and showing a problem is cured by turning the damn thing off for long enough. I had a cheap LCD picture frame get stuck on a jpg for 2 weeks when I went away, which was cured by leaving off overnight, and that had the lowest quality lcd I've ever seen.
    I would reboot the unit, leaving it off some time in between. If it is still present try to leave a pure white screen on awhile.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
    If this is what i think it is, i have this as well. It is a slightly brighter spot, diamond shaped, near the very bottom of the screen.. it sort of bugs me..

Just so people don't think you are lying, here is a photo i got of mine.. BTW - it is hard as heck to get a good photo; thankfully, i could enhance what i got to point out the spot. Believe me, it is more noticeable in real life.
    I had a similar problem, it seemed to be a component pushing on the back of the LCD. When I held in portrait with left hand it intensified, I got a replacement unit because of this, a bright pixel and cracked casing around speaker. Not complaining, I'm in Australia and they courier swapped it. No probs with the new unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I've noticed burn in too on occasion but it has always gone away.
    Ditto, shocked/worried at first but it's always gone away for me too.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Where the tech was demonstrating the ACME Installer? I saw what I first thought was "burn-in" on his screen right beside the home button - a series of 3 boxes. On looking more closely I decided it's just a graphic on his screen protector, but now that I hear this I'm wondering all over again..

LCD can suffer pixel retention, they do not have phosphorus to burn-in
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    That is untrue. I used to work for the security and IT department for a company, I've seen many LCDs got burned in when used as CCTV monitors. The interface of the DVR recorder basically just got burned into it.
    I had burn in on my Samsung Galaxy S - the notification bar at the top with the clock, network symbol and wifi symbol were perma-burned in after about 4 months. Now that's super amoled but I didn't expect it.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsrus View Post
    I had the same four pixel diamond brighter-than-the-rest-of-the screen problem. Sent it in and got it back yesterday.

My understanding is that they repaired it. The TouchPad came back with the same serial number, so it must be the same unit.

Mine came back with no scratches or marks that I can tell.

I uninstalled the overclocking kernel I was using, uninstalled Preware and restored the TouchPad back to factory condition. They tell you to erase any personal data before you send it in.

The diamond was completely gone and it seems like a new machine.

So for me the experience was a positive one. YMMV.

Hope this helps.
    Well I had this since day one. I haven't been using my touchpad for the last couple of days. I pick it up today and turn it on and guess what? It's gone. Strange, I was contemplating sending it in for repair also. But now I don't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Bledsoejr View Post
    This is my guess too. I turn my brightness all the way down, haven't noticed anything, but that would be a bummer and pointless. I love docking it and replacing my clock. Plus I can't sleep unless the brightness is all the way down.
    No, I turn the brightness to about 10% and I got temporary burn-in from the Accuweather exhibition mode, so it's not that it's too bright that's the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Where the tech was demonstrating the ACME Installer? I saw what I first thought was "burn-in" on his screen right beside the home button - a series of 3 boxes.
    Those boxes are from the screen protector. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    I had burn in on my Samsung Galaxy S - the notification bar at the top with the clock, network symbol and wifi symbol were perma-burned in after about 4 months. Now that's super amoled but I didn't expect it.
    The LEDs along your notification bar, which are mostly white/brighter than the rest wear out faster than the other LEDs on your screen. It's not exactly the same as burning in on CRT, it's more 'wearing out'.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnets View Post
    The LEDs along your notification bar, which are mostly white/brighter than the rest wear out faster than the other LEDs on your screen. It's not exactly the same as burning in on CRT, it's more 'wearing out'.
    It doesn't have LEDs.

Check out this article on LCD image persistence Image persistence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and tips for fixing.

Note that the relaxed state of an LCD only occurs when it's either off, or on and
    displaying pure white (letting the backlight through fully), so displaying dark or black
    pixels for a long time is more likely to leave persistence than white.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    It doesn't have LEDs.

Check out this article on LCD image persistence Image persistence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and tips for fixing.

Note that the relaxed state of an LCD only occurs when it's either off, or on and
    displaying pure white (letting the backlight through fully), so displaying dark or black
    pixels for a long time is more likely to leave persistence than white.

ian
    The Samsung Galaxy S has an OLED screen Organic light-emitting diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Screen burn-in
    Unlike displays with a common light source, the brightness of each OLED pixel fades depending on the content displayed. The varied lifespan of the organic dyes can cause a discrepancy between red, green, and blue intensity. This leads to image persistence, also known as burn-in
    LCD's do not 'burn in" in the same way as phosphor sets do..... They can however, develop permanent image persistence in extreme cases. I had a large LCD monitor that retained the image of a wallpaper that I had used and not changed for months. The wallpaper did have a high contrast ratio however between light and dark areas. The interesting thing, was that I always used a screen saver as well. I tried everything to remove it and the only thing that seemed to work was leaving the monitor off for extended periods of time and the image finally faded over the course of several months. However since that time, I regularly change wallpapers on all my pc/laptop displays, tablets, smartphones, etc, just as a precaution. For the TP I use the FB exhibition mode whenever on the Touchstone, at low brightness and haven't had any issues.....
    Last edited by oldskoolluva; 10/09/2011 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by morydees View Post
    Just to end the back and forth about LCD "burn-in" existing, let's get everyone up to date

LCDs do actually suffer from what is called Image Persistence, which is their version of "burn in". However, this is rarely a permanent issue and usually goes away over time or with some help.
    THIS.

Sheesh, LCD burn-in. It's physically impossible. There's nothing to "burn" in. The light is behind the display--hence the term "backlit"--and the LCD simply filters the light into an image. Image persistence occurs when a liquid crystal is left in the same configuration for a prolonged period of time, but it is absolutely NOT the same thing as burn in and is usually temporary.

Burn in is just that: An image being literally burned into the phosphors of a CRT or plasma display. It is a permanent condition. You can turn the display off and still see the burned in image, because it is indeed burned into the glass.

Anyway, now that that's straightened out, the reason that the units that were sent in for repairs were returned without any work being done on them is because while they were in transit, they were presumably turned off, allowing the liquid crystals to relax, thereby alleviating the image persistence issue. Leaving it off for an extended amount of time was what fixed it, not the fact that it was sent to HP. You could have shipped it to your grandma and back and it would have been just as fixed.

Or you could just leave it off for the same amount of time.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    LMFAO @whoever said SAMOLED is not LED

thanks for the laugh.
    When talking about displays, OLED is so different from LED that they may as well be two completely different things. When someone is talking about an "LED" display, they are usually talking about an LCD panel with a white LED backlight. Usually. There are actual full-LED displays, but those are usually large format displays such as billboards and the like.

An OLED display, however, has no backlight at all. Each OLED element provides its own lighting. This is why OLED displays are able to achieve deeper blacks than backlit LED/LCD displays, which have a light shining behind them at all times.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    I don't even get burn-in on my Panasonic plasma. Never thought I'd be on a thread about burn-in on precentral.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c View Post
    I don't even get burn-in on my Panasonic plasma. Never thought I'd be on a thread about burn-in on precentral.
    It is possible to get burn-in on a plasma, so be careful. Most of the newer ones have special software that alleviates it but it can still happen. Personally I don't think we should have ever dumped CRT, which is still the superior technology. I understand some people wanting LCD or plasma for the smaller sized set, but there are those of us that would be willing to trade a huge, heavy set for a superior picture.

-Typed from my PC, using a Samsung SyncMaster 997DF CRT.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    It is possible to get burn-in on a plasma, so be careful. Most of the newer ones have special software that alleviates it but it can still happen. Personally I don't think we should have ever dumped CRT, which is still the superior technology. I understand some people wanting LCD or plasma for the smaller sized set, but there are those of us that would be willing to trade a huge, heavy set for a superior picture.

-Typed from my PC, using a Samsung SyncMaster 997DF CRT.
    My sony xbr 960 crt was the heaviest thing in my apartment and had convergence issues. Even when repaired it is just too much of a hastle. after 30" crt's just plain suck.

Oh and yes, I have MAJOR permanent Burn-in on my touchpad.
    I wonder if the extra induction field generated by the Touchstone is in some way affecting the TouchPad screen also?
    It appears to have been reduced in 3.0.4.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast