Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    cracking cases, burn in lcd

where are the exploding batteries.

i think the reason why tp dropped it was that they found out what garbage they have produced.

btw.

my 10 years old nec 1860nx lcd here was on with the same picture for about 2 weeks when i was on holiday (forgot to turn off) and ... nothing burned in.
    Last edited by sledge007; 09/21/2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: offensive language
    tarbo likes this.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    My work has a bunch of instruments running 24/7 and yes, the LCD screens do burn in. There is a retained image of the software that's being used. Anyone who tells you that LCD never burns in has no clue what they're talking about.
    dignitary likes this.
    maybe burn in happens when you leave the brightness too high?
    The wikipedia article isn't quite clear, but it sounds like LCD burn-in is in most cases temporary. Screen burn-in - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    brum likes this.
    And now time to delete this pointless thread!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    same happened to me but its not actually burn in. I noticed it after I was on facebook for maybe 5 minutes. I opened the launcher and facebook was what looked like burnt in on the bottom. I knew it wasn't burn but I didn't know why it was there. I opened a few apps and closed them and it was still there. rebooted and it went away. definitely software glitch. burn in can happen on lcd but it takes 10x as long as it did with crt, which was still a long time.

btw I have 2 32gb TB's 1 I got 2weeks before the fire sale and one from the fire sale. Both are in in cases, overclocked to 1.7 on the touchstone all the time when I'm not using them. I don't have cracks on either.
    Global Posts
    433 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
    If this is what i think it is, i have this as well. It is a slightly brighter spot, diamond shaped, near the very bottom of the screen.. it sort of bugs me..

Just so people don't think you are lying, here is a photo i got of mine.. BTW - it is hard as heck to get a good photo; thankfully, i could enhance what i got to point out the spot. Believe me, it is more noticeable in real life.
    I had that same issue but in a different spot. Sent it back to HP for a different one.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
    I had that same issue but in a different spot. Sent it back to HP for a different one.
    I posted about this exact same issue a couple of days back. Mine is in the bottom left corner of the x key in landscape with the speakers down. It's hardly noticeable so I'm going to wait and see what happens. I'd hate to get a return with cracks or the lifting glass
    burn in happens to my samsung 42 inch lcd tv all the time.
    doesnt take long either.
    one newscast or a couple of innings of baseball or a quarter of football will do it.
    or even a paused dvr.
    sometimes it goes away in an hour, sometimes not til i turn it off at night.
    i'll even post pics later.
    Here are some from last year's mlb playoffs and from the news on my tv.
    went away pretty quickly, but dont let anyone tell you it doesnt happen to lcd.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MINKIN2 and brum like this.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
    If this is what i think it is, i have this as well. It is a slightly brighter spot, diamond shaped, near the very bottom of the screen.. it sort of bugs me..

Just so people don't think you are lying, here is a photo i got of mine.. BTW - it is hard as heck to get a good photo; thankfully, i could enhance what i got to point out the spot. Believe me, it is more noticeable in real life.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsrus View Post
    Just to back up milkmade and Divine_Madcat, I had the exact same four pixels in a diamond shape anomaly where the four pixels were brighter than the rest and mostly visible on a white background. It was annoying. I contacted HP support, they sent me a box and I sent it in for repair. Just got it back today and the screen is OK; no more spot. Hopefully it will stay that way.

All I can say is give customer service a call. It took less than two weeks from when they sent out the box for me to get it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cerps View Post
    I posted about this exact same issue a couple of days back. Mine is in the bottom left corner of the x key in landscape with the speakers down. It's hardly noticeable so I'm going to wait and see what happens. I'd hate to get a return with cracks or the lifting glass

wow..I dunno why I didn't post this sooner..I was just doing to live with it..not to sound weird but I didnt think I would be able to describe it right or if anyone else had the issue but I am relieved I am not alone..

I guess I just thought I was lucky enough to get a to, I wasn't so quick to send it out..thought maybe I'd never get it back...

for those who sent it out? do they repair it? or do you get a new unit? also when you got it back were there any scratches or marks (if they repaired they had to open it) on it? any noticeable changes? would I have to uninstall uber kernel and prepare before I send back? etc?

I want more details..was the diamond completely gone? btw my is by the x too in landscape mode speakers facing down...weird!
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    maybe burn in happens when you leave the brightness too high?
    This is my guess too. I turn my brightness all the way down, haven't noticed anything, but that would be a bummer and pointless. I love docking it and replacing my clock. Plus I can't sleep unless the brightness is all the way down.
    last burn in thread i got raked over the coals for explaining that ANY display can burn in
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    TableTopFreak likes this.
    LCD burning is real but not nearly as crazy bad as with CRTs and Plasmas.

@topic starter
    Fortunately for you, IPS burn-in often goes away with time if you don't aggravate it. Stop using the clock function and just use the tablet for a while. Hopefully your case is one of those recoverable ones.
    Folks,

I used to have an app running in exhibition mode, eWeather & News, and the phenomenon would happen. But notthd others, including the native clocks and several others like LCARS Clock. Try it yourself and uninstall those would "harm" the display.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    wow..I dunno why I didn't post this sooner..I was just doing to live with it..not to sound weird but I didnt think I would be able to describe it right or if anyone else had the issue but I am relieved I am not alone..

I guess I just thought I was lucky enough to get a to, I wasn't so quick to send it out..thought maybe I'd never get it back...

for those who sent it out? do they repair it? or do you get a new unit? also when you got it back were there any scratches or marks (if they repaired they had to open it) on it? any noticeable changes? would I have to uninstall uber kernel and prepare before I send back? etc?

I want more details..was the diamond completely gone? btw my is by the x too in landscape mode speakers facing down...weird!
    +1

I have it to in the exact same spot as you. Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post

I had the same four pixel diamond brighter-than-the-rest-of-the screen problem. Sent it in and got it back yesterday.

My understanding is that they repaired it. The TouchPad came back with the same serial number, so it must be the same unit.

Mine came back with no scratches or marks that I can tell.

I uninstalled the overclocking kernel I was using, uninstalled Preware and restored the TouchPad back to factory condition. They tell you to erase any personal data before you send it in.

The diamond was completely gone and it seems like a new machine.

So for me the experience was a positive one. YMMV.

Hope this helps.
    Funny how every TV salesman tells you LCD's are so great because they are burn in proof and we have people here saying not true. What they probably should say is it is very rare and much more likely on a plasma. By the way I have had 3 plasmas over the years and never had any burn in, but I know it happens--sorry off topic a bit.

I wonder if it is not really burn in but a subtle image that is actually being sent to the screen by the video card or its equivalent.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Wow, I feel lucky, knock on wood, not to have had any of these problems yet. Hope I don't regret having said that now, Fate has a way of making one a liar after having said something like this.
    Just to end the back and forth about LCD "burn-in" existing, let's get everyone up to date

LCDs do actually suffer from what is called Image Persistence, which is their version of "burn in". However, this is rarely a permanent issue and usually goes away over time or with some help.
    Image persistence can usually be reversed by allowing the liquid crystals to return to their relaxed state. In other words, turning off an LCD display for hours or days will relax the crystals and eliminate the image retention.
    Some random resources if you'd like to read more:

Wiki: Image persistence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Apple's Warning on their LCDs:Avoiding image persistence on Apple LCD displays
    LCD Pixel Fixer for stuck ones: JScreenFix - Fix stuck pixels and image persistence
    JD.Plourde.II and brum like this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast