Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    I used webOS Doctor to restore one of my Touchpads. It was working fine, but
    just needed a fresh start.

After weOS Doctor finished, the Touchpad restarted. When prompted to choose
    which of the 2 profiles to restore, I specifically chose "SKIP" because I wanted
    to start over from scratch. I assume this would allow me to create a new profile.

When the Touchpad was done, I checked the laucher menus and there were no
    apps(except the HP Apps Catalog icon), just the want I wanted.

However, 10 minutes later, I turned on the Touchpad again and noticed that
    the apps launcher menu was filled with dozens of apps. Most were still still
    being downloaded/installed, as indicated by those spinning blue circles.

Why did it do that?
    If you want to start all the way over, you need to create a whole new profile.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    If you want to start all the way over, you need to create a whole new profile.
    how do I create a new profile?

when the Touchpad restarted, it asked me to pick an exisiting profile or skip.
    I picked skip because I figured it would create a new profile?
    isn't there a way to delete a profile from a device through the online webos login? it is probably linked to your device through your serial number.

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface
    I think you have to delete from your profile as stated above before you can create a new one.

This is pretty much a new "feature", since webOS phone profiles don't have the ability to run multiple phones on the profile.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    so there is no way to use your current profile but skip all the unwanted app downloads? when i first started playing with mine i downloaded a bunch of crappy apps. apps i dont want to use ever again or waste time to re-download. i wish i could use my existing profile thought b/c i also have some paid apps. is there no way to start from scratch but have the option to download existing apps later?
    all you have to do is pause downloads and then delete the apps. Then back up the device.

you will still be able to install any app you already purchased.
    sledge007 likes this.
    I didn't know that Good to know, been putting off a trip to the Dr., because of my 200+ apps. Takes forever to redownload, and half I don't want anyway.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    thanks Cantaffordit

ok so far these were my steps.

A. doctored touchpad

B. logged in with my account, got a message with progress bar about touchpad was downloading my apps (ignored it)

C. after a few seconds system went into webos. immediately disabled wifi

D. went to settings -> software manager

E. deleted all the crappy apps.

F. turned wifi back on then went to settings -> backup
    (there is an option to turn off backup, which will then give you an option to erase previous backup - which i did, then i turned it back on and made a new backup)

ps. if anyone is curious what kind of data they collect there was a link here: http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb2...en.html#N1002B

edit: after doing all the above i still see a lot of 'dead' icons from previous apps i deleted. even after reboot they are still present and i can't seem to delete them. i'm wondering if i should have disabled my router before i get that initial progress bar (i'm speculating it loads the icons first then downloads the apps)

update: i ran the doctor program a second time and everything was setup perfectly. all the deleted programs with dead icons were gone etc.
    Last edited by illli; 10/21/2011 at 03:47 PM.