Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By NorbB
  • 1 Post By clayclay350
  1.    #1  
    I'm looking to pickup a TP for my dad but things aren't looking good. Slickdeals posted a link to the 32gb at officedepot yesterday at 11:12am yesterday. Besides being sold out within minutes, As of today there were 101,344 views for that post. TP still can't be that in demand. HP needs to do a better job at marketing that the zombie tablet is dead. Maybe bring back Russell brand.
    Well you want one, right? So, there still is a high demand, isn't capitalism great !
    clayclay350 and rbyrne like this.
    I think the -millions- of views on the various touchpad-firesale posts says it all about the demand.

At 100$-150$, virtually anyone can afford a touchpad. It's a stupid-good deal for some phenomenal technology. You question the demand, but I think you're seriously underestimating how amazing this device is at that price. Consider for a moment that 100$ was the pricepoint people were trying to hit for portable computers designed for poor african villages. I paid more for a small seatback TV for my car. I have a digital picture frame that cost more than that.

I already have several touchpads and If I could readily get them, I'd buy 3-5 more of them RIGHT NOW to use as gifts and for other uses around the house (I'd love to have one in my kitchen as a recipe-book etc, for example), and I'm just one consumer. There are millions of people out there who would jump at the chance to buy one of these at that price.

Hell, include the previous buyers too. Ask around here - is there anyone here who ALREADY HAS a touchpad that wouldn't readily buy a second touchpad for 100$ if you had the chance? Even if you took everyone out who would simply resell the device, the number of buyers is incredible.

I'll go one step further. I volunteer right now at a local charter school that is looking to set up a testbed "technology classroom". They are actively seeking a donor to help them out with the purchase of 20+ ipads for use in this test program (one classroom).

They are nowhere near their 10,000$ goal to achieve this, but with the money they've raised thus-far they could, RIGHT NOW, purchase enough touchpads at 100$ to outfit 3 full classes with the devices. Considering their program intends to handle everything off web servers etc, the touchpad would do a fine job in this capacity. You can bet the farm that if the touchpads were readily available I'd be helping that school pick up 60 of them.

You are MASSIVELY underestimating demand for a high quality 100$ tablet.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Well you missed the OD again today as it was live again just awhile ago
  5.    #5  
    I wasn't hating on slickdeals. I was trying to understand such a strong interest for a unsupported device that is still not in the public conciousness like TiVo, netflix and of course iPad. TP is still a niche device.
    Niche? Not with the Android Gingerbread port coming it isn't. It doesn't appeal to me but I get why people do it. They are 1) cheap and 2) want a good deal.

People who supposed like Android or support the OS would rather give their money to a non-Android manufacturer and use a rebaked version of Gingerbread source code than actually invest in a dedicated manufacturer and the most current commercial version of the OS.

Oh well. That's capitalism =)
    I am, therefore I think
    howi likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I wasn't hating on slickdeals. I was trying to understand such a strong interest for a unsupported device that is still not in the public conciousness like TiVo, netflix and of course iPad. TP is still a niche device.

that strong interest is related to money. a lot of people would never have bought a tablet at 4-500, but at 100? its almost like getting something for nothing.
    I'm starting to hate all the ignorant comments. No one has stopped the support for the touchpad. Stop saying that.
    At 100$ it wouldn't matter if all the support -was- stopped.

A 100$ tablet with the touchpad's capabilities, even PURE STOCK, is -NOT- a niche device. Virtually anyone would buy that - and they did the second it hit the pricepoint. HP could sell millions upon millions of touchpads at that price. Yes, they'd lose tons of money doing it, but my point is at that price even a non-technical American with no interest or prior knowledge of a touchpad can see the insane amount of value for what amounts to a practically MAGICAL device.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    At 100$ it wouldn't matter if all the support -was- stopped.
    Let's face it - who buys a $100 product expecting any decent sort of support anyway?