View Poll Results: how do you hold your touchpad? Cracking or not?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • held landscape; no crack

60 50.85%
  • held landscape; with crack

26 22.03%
  • held portrait; no crack

11 9.32%
  • held portrait; with crack

9 7.63%
  • option not listed.

12 10.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Interesting theory. Based on your theory, we need an option for those with a case.

I don't "hold" my TP. It's been in the OEM case since day #2 of ownership. I use the stand that comes with the case to support the TP.
    lupos likes this.
    i have a theory about the cracked speaker. I have had my touchpad since July 21st. I am noticing a crack (really small) on the upper speaker.

my brother has a newer touchpad. 2-3 weeks younger but his already has a crack.

the difference, I usually hold my touchpad in landscape, while he usually holds his in portrait.

he is right handed so he holds the touchpad with his left hand by the speakers. I hold my touchpad mostly in landscape with the speakers on top. Rotating it only when watching videos.

I think the mere pressure on the speaker part make it crack.

let me hear your story...
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    I think your theory is correct. I generally hold mine in landscape with my left hand just towards the center of the left speaker, and my left speaker cracked and the screen developed flex in that area which caused light bleeding through.

I suggested to the customer service manager that they need to let the webOS team know that it would be very wise to add an option to allow users to run the tablet flipped = speakers on top. Many apps don't rotate and only work in one position, thus if they allowed us to use it upside down we would be holding it by the solid side instead of the speakers--I guess that's just too obvious
  4.    #4  
    I have no idea how my post got inserted prior than the OP??
    Ugh not another crack thread.
    Mine cracked in three days. I held it whichever way I felt like holding it at the time.

This is a defect. Its going to crack no matter what you do.
    oglerb likes this.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    Because yours did. Uh-huh.
    I can disprove your theory.

I have been using my 32 GB for two months in portrait and landscape -- no crack.

When I opened the factory-sealed box to my 64 GB, it had a crack.

I think it is just the luck of the draw. Manufacturing defects tend to be that way.
    Could how it's been handled have to do with it? Like a case in a bookbag/carrying case that is standing it up and putting pressure on the case when it is not being held. Not to mention drops...
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    I can disprove your theory.

I have been using my 32 GB for two months in portrait and landscape -- no crack.

When I opened the factory-sealed box to my 64 GB, it had a crack.

I think it is just the luck of the draw. Manufacturing defects tend to be that way.
    This

Chances are the is a fault with the injection molding and fettling process. Maybe they have a fective mold which is causing a weak spot when it is lifted from the press or a maybe it it caused when the fettling die becomes blunt?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
    Because yours did. Uh-huh.
    yes. because mine did.

and because i read the other 4 threads on this topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Yet another thread on this. Mods please clean this place up.
    Why? This is another valid thread on another valid topic that HP admitted to me on the phone is a known issue. What company fully replaces a product because of cosmetic damage, especially something that could have been done by dropping? None. HP knows this is their fault, and thus this a valid topic for this website.
    I'm sticking to my theory.

so when I read using the kindle app. I have my touchpad on portrait but with the speakers on the right side (upside down).
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    Ugh not another crack thread.
    Mine cracked in three days. I held it whichever way I felt like holding it at the time.

had mine for about a month. Use it daily. No cracks.

but I don't hold mine near the speakers. Usually I keep it in landscape, and holding it on the sides (near camera or home button)
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    I don't know how anybody could not have a crack if you've had it for more than 2 days. Every one of these things I've seen (at least 4) has a crack, lifted screen glass, or both. Just cheaply built I think
    I've had mine now for 4 weeks with no cracks, but I usually place it on my desk when using it. I don't think I've held it while using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
    This

Chances are the is a fault with the injection molding and fettling process. Maybe they have a fective mold which is causing a weak spot when it is lifted from the press or a maybe it it caused when the fettling die becomes blunt?
    That makes the most sense to me and that there may have been a large batch manufactured with that defect.
    I have bought 5 so far and none came with cracks, nor developed any with time.
    i have developed a crack in mine. even if i held it upside down with the speakers to the left in portrait when reading the kindle. my crack still corresponds to the way i hold my touchpad...

i called HP for repair. They are sending me a prepaid box. it will take less than 2 weeks.
    I've the TP case from day one and both speakers have cracks. I hold the TP in landscape. The crack first appeared on the left side (my left hand). The crack that appeared on the right side didn't show up till much later than the left side. However the right side crack has lengthened under the case around to the back of the TP.

I use my Touchpad alot and have no intentions of sending it back for a refurb, new or fixed TP. At least I know what I have!
    No cracks. Mine is always in a case and I use it mostly in landscape mode. I charge it with the charger, I don't have a touchstone. It'd be interesting to see how many of the 'cracked' ones are charged with the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Mine just cracked the other day (on the upper speaker in portrait mode). I hold my TP either in landscape (with speakers up or down) or portrait mode and mostly use the Touchstone and sometimes the USB charger.

My wife's TP has not cracked case (yet).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast