View Poll Results: how do you hold your touchpad? Cracking or not?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • held landscape; no crack

60 50.85%
  • held landscape; with crack

26 22.03%
  • held portrait; no crack

11 9.32%
  • held portrait; with crack

9 7.63%
  • option not listed.

12 10.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    Interesting theory. Based on your theory, we need an option for those with a case.

I don't "hold" my TP. It's been in the OEM case since day #2 of ownership. I use the stand that comes with the case to support the TP.
    Exactly what I do and what I would have said.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    he is right handed so he holds the touchpad with his left hand by the speakers. I hold my touchpad mostly in landscape with the speakers on top. Rotating it only when watching videos.

I think the mere pressure on the speaker part make it crack.

let me hear your story...
    Hold a piece of paper by the corner and let it flop downwards. Notice where it bends. Now hold a touchpad by the corner, and notice where the speakers are. The stress points are right where the speakers are on the TP, and where they are all cracking. They are cracking where the plastic is the thinnest, and where there is also the most stress. That's just a poor design choice. Those of you with breaks, do you hold it by the corners?

Those of you with cracks, examine those cracks. Is the plastic visually thinner? Are there any signs of physical imperfections? If it's a bad batch that was poorly made we will see the flaws. How come no one has posted pics of these flaws yet?

I have no experience with engineering/producing plastic products but I do have 15 years retail experience. I have seen design flaws and poorly made products. I've never seen a "bad batch" where a large percentage of products will have an obvious physical issue and others will be perfect. It's always been an all or nothing situation. First batch of products has a bad design which is corrected in the next batch. It's never some are rock solid, and some break just by looking at them.

My wife and I use cases for our TPs and rarely hold them. 2 months of almost daily use and no cracks.
    I have a Touchpad which i did use on maybe 4 days of my now 10 weeks of ownership. The rest of the time i did not use it at all, it's just laying on a shelf waiting for a proper adhoc tethering solution or a new bluetooth stack with PAN supported. And the Touchpad was in its HP Folio since minute one from unpacking, i even unpacked the folio first to put the Touchpad in it immediately after unpacking. It was always charged using the charger, never the Touchstone (i don't even own one) and the 4 days when i used it i did not 'hold' or 'handle' it in some way holding it by a corner but it was laying comfortably on a sofa or bed or table, always in its folio. Guess what?

After 7 Weeks it began to develop a crack at the USB port and one at the upper (left in landscape mode) speaker. The crack at the speaker was going through to the glass completely. I called the service and it came back from repair one week ago with a new, crack-free back on it.

I don't know what is causing the cracks, but it definitely is not about holding it some way, putting it on the touchstone or whatever you people assume in the posts before. The HP serviceman was talking about 'surface tension' - assuming the plastic backs are all the same it can only be because of unproper mounting of the back to the Touchpad's body. He didn't say that, but what else can it be?

This poll is lacking the right option, i would vote for 'did not hold it, barely used it - with cracks'
    My thought.... The main reason that caused the crack is the design. TP design has lots of stress at speaker side. Hold at speaker position effect and enhanced the stress so crack or screen loose happened. Another possibility is play music at maximum volume. I found when I play music at max volume make TP case at speaker side vibrate a bit caused by the sound output. Maybe this can add more stress too.

Mine so far so good, I usually hold TP at landscape, but sometimes portrait too, but because I'm using HP folio case, I tend to put my hand at back side instead of speaker side.
    i have had my touchpad on the oem case too since i was using it.

i think having a case or not does not matter that much. That is the reason why it was not in the choices. Altho i agree that i should add not holding it and i have a crack.

when i called HP for the repair, the rep said (i know reps tell you what you want to hear) this is a known issue and HP is aware of this. I have no hope that HP is going to correct this known issue, but at least they are repairing it at no cost.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlBart View Post
    I have a Touchpad which i did use on maybe 4 days of my now 10 weeks of ownership. The rest of the time i did not use it at all, it's just laying on a shelf waiting for a proper adhoc tethering solution or a new bluetooth stack with PAN supported. And the Touchpad was in its HP Folio since minute one from unpacking, i even unpacked the folio first to put the Touchpad in it immediately after unpacking. It was always charged using the charger, never the Touchstone (i don't even own one) and the 4 days when i used it i did not 'hold' or 'handle' it in some way holding it by a corner but it was laying comfortably on a sofa or bed or table, always in its folio. Guess what?

After 7 Weeks it began to develop a crack at the USB port and one at the upper (left in landscape mode) speaker. The crack at the speaker was going through to the glass completely. I called the service and it came back from repair one week ago with a new, crack-free back on it.

I don't know what is causing the cracks, but it definitely is not about holding it some way, putting it on the touchstone or whatever you people assume in the posts before. The HP serviceman was talking about 'surface tension' - assuming the plastic backs are all the same it can only be because of unproper mounting of the back to the Touchpad's body. He didn't say that, but what else can it be?

This poll is lacking the right option, i would vote for 'did not hold it, barely used it - with cracks'
    oThis is the first message I've read about cracks that mentioned the USB port cracking too. Is this a common issue when cracking occurrs?

It also talks about cracking extending up to the glass. I always assumed that the speaker cracks occurred in the center of the curve to the left or right (or both sides) of speaker opening. How often does the crack occur perpendicularly to the long axis of the speaker?

I guess you can tell I don't have any cracks

BTW, I hold the Touchpad speakers down, left, and up (listed in decreasing order of frequency) in a case which I remove when placing on the Touchstone (speakers down) to charge.

If it's any consolation, my case develops small "buckles" or "humps" over the USB port and the headphone cutouts due to stretching the case from frequently removing / inserting the TouchPad.
    Anyone get a replacement model that cracked again?

If it's a bad batch of plastic frames, they would not be using them on the replacements. Repairing the product a 2nd, or 3rd time would cost more than throwing out the defective frame and using only proper frames.

If it cracks again then it's a design flaw. So if it cracks for some people and not others, then it's all in how you use it. Not saying those with cracks are using it wrong, just saying you might be able to reduce the risks by changing how you hold it. Yes it's hp's fault, and yes they would have fixed it for version 2, but since that will never happen, the best you can do is try and avoid the issue. Or just keep sending it back for the balance of warranty.
    maybe the actual sound/vibrations from teh speakers themselves are breaking some peoples touchpads cheap plastic casing.

how loud do people have their music etc when its banging away?
    Quote Originally Posted by tony20 View Post
    ... just saying you might be able to reduce the risks by changing how you hold it.
    If i wasn't able to reduce the risks by not using the Touchpad at all then how would you be?

Ah, and i forgot: I also wasn't listening to music through the speakers at all and my Touchpad has never been overclocked so heat can't be an issue either.

It's like someone else here in the thread said: That thing develops cracks just from looking at it and nothing else. To top that: Mine was not even looked at for several weeks. Perhaps it cracked cause it got ADHD from receiving too little attention?
    Last edited by KarlBart; 11/22/2011 at 01:15 PM.
    maybe the ongoing HP joke situation atm literally has the touchpad splitting its own sides in laughter and disbelief.
    Is everyone blind, the speaker location is the thinnest part of the TP case, almost paper thin.
    This is why they are cracking. Obviously a design flaw. I hope the replacement backs are thicker in that area or they will continue to crack.................................................
    SmartFah likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    Ugh not another crack thread.
    Mine cracked in three days. I held it whichever way I felt like holding it at the time.

This is a defect. Its going to crack no matter what you do.
    Funny, my 4 and 8 y/o kids whom have the day one 16gb TPad in used every single day and all day on the weekends....have a *perfect* TPad still. ...and they destroy everything (even the case of the wife's Nook). Gotta love people who abuse things and then complain...

(like my friend who red line launched his eclipse gt and b*tched about Mitsubishi's terrible transmissions... )
    No cracks yet but I imagine there's a reasonable chance they will appear given that it's fairly common. The plastic around the speakers doesn't look very thin to me as some have suggested so I can't imagine what would cause it to suddenly crack without pressure. But it's happened to enough people for me to be expecting it eventually.

Would be a real shame though as this is a hot device for the price I paid and with the prospect of ICS on the horizon I'd like to think it could keep me satisfied for a year or so. If it starts cracking and such I'm likely to get it repaired, sell and look for an alternative.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12