Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    beta.bbc.co.uk is an early preview of what the BBC wants the website to look like - as part of the redesign, the interface is intended to be more tablet friendly. Just thought I'd link it as we have a lot of brits here (and other people who use the BBC) website.
    Syndil likes this.
    I'm having difficulty seeing the difference between www.bbc.co.uk and beta.bbc.co.uk at the moment.

I'm not from the UK, but using www.bbc.co.uk/news quite a lot and the Touchpad handles the flash ok, so perhaps the main benefit is for 'other' tablets.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    I'm having difficulty seeing the difference between www.bbc.co.uk and beta.bbc.co.uk at the moment.

I'm not from the UK, but using www.bbc.co.uk/news quite a lot and the Touchpad handles the flash ok, so perhaps the main benefit is for 'other' tablets.
    They are completely and utterly different - maybe you are being redirected?

The base BBC site is very different. Not sure how deep the changes go.

The news site beta.bbc.co.uk/news is the same as the non beta version.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    The other thing to note is the new beta site is touch friendly not tablet specific so this is what everyone will eventually see not just tablet users.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    They are completely and utterly different - maybe you are being redirected?
    There must be some sort of redirection or something going on, as I get the same on my pc with Firefox - exact same page for both.
    I use BBC News site a lot, shame the beta doesn't yet show what the full news site will be like. However you can get a taste by following the News and Sport link at the right of the central link bar.

Me too. The two sites look identical on my TP, and it doesn't look like I've been redirected either.
    Here's a resized screenshot to give you an idea of what you should be seeing.

Hmmm, looks neat and tidy but does not display correctly in landscape mode. The bottom of the boxes are missing and the weather icons go wrong*

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    There must be some sort of redirection or something going on, as I get the same on my pc with Firefox - exact same page for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    Me too. The two sites look identical on my TP, and it doesn't look like I've been redirected either.
    Please keep in mind that via DNS, there are ways to redirect someone based on country or region of origin. BBC could (I don't know if they actually are using redirection) send all traffic from non-UK origin to "Site A" and all UK originating traffic to "Site B".

As an example, a US site can send West Coast people to "Site A" and East Coast people to "Site B" or people from Maryland and people from Virginia to two different sites, etc...
    works quite well, the floating page advance on the right works ok, pity its page forward, no back but its not half bad tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    Please keep in mind that via DNS, there are ways to redirect someone based on country or region of origin. BBC could (I don't know if they actually are using redirection) send all traffic from non-UK origin to "Site A" and all UK originating traffic to "Site B".

As an example, a US site can send West Coast people to "Site A" and East Coast people to "Site B" or people from Maryland and people from Virginia to two different sites, etc...
    Its actually pretty complex because you have to put their content distribution network (Akamai etc.) into the equation. It is possible that each element of the page comes from a different location. They also use a source address identification service to attempt to identify where in the world you are and tailor the content accordingly.

Martin
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post

I think that non-uk traffic gets redirected to an ad supported version of the site?

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the heads up.
    looking good.
    For news, I use the recently released Beeb News app which works very well even though it's not particularly stylish (which probably helps its speed).