Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all.

Apparently a new Vid was posted....enjoy & see link.

take care,

Jay

Android gaming on the HP TouchPad – video

Android gaming on the HP TouchPad – video - Liliputing

The team of developers working to bring Android to the HP TouchPad tablet have come a long way in just a few weeks. Heck, they’ve come a long way in just a few days. Last time we heard from CyanogenMod, the developers had managed to get WiFi working when you use Android on the HP TouchPad, and audio was still a work in progress.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    nyuepik likes this.
    wow.. this is looking more and more awesome every time they post something.. going to go donate to them right now!
    I read the headline as "play android games on WebOS"

Still pretty sweet though!
    Sweet! I can't wait to dump WebOS
    muyoso likes this.
    The team is really speeding through this! Can't wait for the dual boot to come out xD
    Quote Originally Posted by carr76013 View Post
    I read the headline as "play android games on WebOS"

Still pretty sweet though!
    There are some people working on that over at XDA, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also, this is looking amazing already. I am giddy waiting for them to release CM7 and cannot wait to see how quickly they port ICS after it drops.
    Bummer that there's gonna be the issue with the 4:3 aspect ratio.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    Bummer that there's gonna be the issue with the 4:3 aspect ratio.
    What issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    What issue?
    The last game demoed had words on the right side cut off.
    I'd like to add that I'm a dev that worked with trendy on dungeon defenders

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Ah, I missed that. Someone associated with the game on reddit said that would be fixed on the next update.
    For the UK members on this forum: Do you think the Guy in the video did the voice over for comparethemarket.com.....Simples!....

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    According to Cypress the Touchpad screen manufacturer, HP and Qualcomm were using Android to load WebOS onto the Touchpad. They then deleted the Android partition. Weird, questionable, but possibly true.
    Android on TouchPad is a double edged sword.

With the door open to use Android apps on the TouchPad it'll be the death-knell to native TouchPad apps. As users flock to buy Android apps, TP apps will be ignored - devs will leave webOS and it will die.

The TP doesn't need HP to kill it - the users will.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    mivoligo likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Bigger issue is it looked like there was a button(s) cut off too.
    The missing parts of the screen is because of the resolution. The Touchpad has a lower resolution than most Android tabs, which usually run 1200*800 instead of the 1024*768 on the Touchpad. It's not a huge deal, most Android games support a resolution of 800*480, so it can always be knocked down or tweaked...
    I'm not blaming anyone - it's natural selection at work

I'm not concerned about a dwindling developer base, as a developer I'm concerned about a dwindling user base.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    The missing parts of the screen is because of the resolution. The Touchpad has a lower resolution than most Android tabs, which usually run 1200*800 instead of the 1024*768 on the Touchpad. It's not a huge deal, most Android games support a resolution of 800*480, so it can always be knocked down or tweaked...
    True, but a properly coded Android app should be able to cope with a change in screen resolution like this. Google is putting a real big push into getting apps properly set up for when ICS drops:

Google offers Ice Cream Sandwich guidance to Android app devs
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    Android on TouchPad is a double edged sword.

With the door open to use Android apps on the TouchPad it'll be the death-knell to native TouchPad apps. As users flock to buy Android apps, TP apps will be ignored - devs will leave webOS and it will die.

The TP doesn't need HP to kill it - the users will.
    I doubt that the number of Touchpad users geeky and knowledgeable enough to a) want to install Android and b) willing to jump through the hoops will be even a sizeable minority.

I really don't see the majority of Touchpad users 'flocking' to buy Android apps. You'll see a lot of it here on the forums of course, but most people will be perfectly happy with their Touchpads as supplied.

It's that majority you need to target with new webOS developments.

Also, surely a dual boot into Android can be compared to providing a SCUMM virtual machine, or n64 emulation or an Infocom interpreter, particularly if we're talking about games as in this thread? It's threatening because it's on a grander scale, but essentially you're just extending the capabilities of the device. Nobody is decrying the efforts to provide those other emulators.

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    Cool. Good to know.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast