Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes
    I hope they can get this fully functional for everyone to use soon, then I will make a donation but not until I have Android on my TP.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I would never have bought webOS without the fire sale. But I have spent about $30 in apps so far. If I can't get more good apps I will go to cm7 and buy android apps.

netflix, Napster or real spotify are just a few that I would pay for
    Anyone thinking there will be a huge mass of people putting Android on their Touchpads is being very ignorant of what the average consumer is willing to do with their technology. I would say they will just use their touchpads till they either decide to spend more money on a different tablet(iPad) or decide that a tablet just isn't that necessary in their life. People tend to forget that android tablets have flopped also so I would say consumers are not that interested in tablets unless they are $99 or made by Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Blaming the users isn't a good strategy to encourage them to stay with the platform, nor is it their fault they're rooting for the CM7 Android port. At this point, Android is simply a more viable platform until HP gets its **** together and either licenses or sells webOS to deploy it onto new devices. From both a developer and user perspective, you have to honestly ask yourself why you'd stick with an OS that has no direction or strategy--and a dwindling developer base. If you're satisfied with everything despite those issues, then more power to you.

That's not to say I'm ditching webOS; I've been a developer for the platform since mid-2009 (Radio Hibiki), but I'm not exactly dedicating any effort to further webOS development until HP figures itself out. Until then, I'll enjoy what there is of webOS 3.x and also look forward to the CM7 Android port--which I can also use for Android development as time permits.
    This. HP really needs to get its ducks in a row and save this platform before even more people flock to Android or WP7. They lost a ton of Sprint users already..
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    Users on these boards whinge at the cost of a $5 webOS app - not even thinking how much work has actually gone into that app (which is less than one hour's minimum wage in some countries). You can't blame users for wanting cheap/free apps, but this is an artificial software state, created by other systems. If users can get a similar app for less (or even free), then they'll get that and ignore the $5. And as we know, Android happens to offer plenty more of the same for less, and Android users enjoy this.

Only webOS users can keep webOS alive.
    I'd buy a $5 app if there was a single solitary one worth $5. Couple that with the fact that I can get a better app for free doing the same exact thing on Android or iOS and it makes it that much harder to part with $5 for something that will be inferior to what I could buy on another platform. If I was a buyer that came into this without ever having used Android or iOS I might think some of the webOS paid apps are cool. But I, and many others, aren't coming in blind to the whole 'app scene'.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
    This seems like an argument for building against HTML5/jsjsjs $instead$ $of$ $a$ $locked$ $down$ $android$/$iOS$ $platform$...
    Except on locked down Android and iOS platforms you still have millions and millions and millions of customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Anyone thinking there will be a huge mass of people putting Android on their Touchpads is being very ignorant of what the average consumer is willing to do with their technology. I would say they will just use their touchpads till they either decide to spend more money on a different tablet(iPad) or decide that a tablet just isn't that necessary in their life. People tend to forget that android tablets have flopped also so I would say consumers are not that interested in tablets unless they are $99 or made by Apple.
    My mom has Cyanogenmod on her Android phone, installed by herself, without calling me at all to walk her through it. Clear sign anybody can do it with little effort. The average consumer will increase the functionality of their technology if it's simple and straightforward.
    How many people do you think have patched their TouchPad? Less than 50%?
    Indeed, flashing CM7 can be done by anyone who can follow simple directions.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    My mom has Cyanogenmod on her Android phone, installed by herself, without calling me at all to walk her through it. Clear sign anybody can do it with little effort. The average consumer will increase the functionality of their technology if it's simple and straightforward.
    How many people do you think have patched their TouchPad? Less than 50%?
    I'd say its probably less than 10%. Again most consumers will never do anything to alter their experience right out of the box. The people that come on these forums or any tech forums for info is a drop in the bucket of people who use the devices. I can't find recent statistics but in 2009, iPhone jailbreakers represented around 8% of iPhone users. I would assume that is the case with all mobile OS's in general. 10% or less ever modify their device via rooting, developer mode, jailbreaking, etc. Most people buy a smart phone for email, browsing, social networking, talking, and messaging.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I'd say its probably less than 10%. Again most consumers will never do anything to alter their experience right out of the box. The people that come on these forums or any tech forums for info is a drop in the bucket of people who use the devices. I can't find recent statistics but in 2009, iPhone jailbreakers represented around 8% of iPhone users. I would assume that is the case with all mobile OS's in general. 10% or less ever modify their device via rooting, developer mode, jailbreaking, etc. Most people buy a smart phone for email, browsing, social networking, talking, and messaging.
    I think it would be even less for the TP because a firesale would attract people who are outside the customer base for a tablet and may be less technically able.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    I agree, but there are two things working against WebOS developers. First, the people who spend 99 dollars on a tablet are generally going to scoff at paying 7-8 dollars for an app. Many of the apps in the WebOS store are selling for significant premiums over what similar apps sell for on other platforms. Second, the platform until further notice is dead. Developing an app for 250k new customers sounds like a good idea, but if that is all there will EVER be who have access to your work, then an app built on competing platforms seems much more worthwhile and will most likely give higher return on time investment.
    I just went through the android market's list of featured tablet apps, and pricing seems to be inline with webOS app pricing, running from free, to .99, 1.49, 1.99...etc through at least 9.99. I found three paid apps on both platforms and they were identically priced, and one similar app that was $1.00 less on webOS.

As to the latter half of your post, you're right on. That's why I'm making it a point to buy apps from the developers who are still here. As far as I'm concerned, they deserve a little something for the effort.

Now, as to quality, I spent some time a few weeks ago looking for a decent checkbook app for a client, and I couldn't find one that could hold a candle to Checkbook for webOS. I'm not sure if there are limitations (read: fragmentation issues) that limited my choices on her particular phone, but after hearing how plentiful and wonderful the android apps were I was kind of surprised at the low quality of the checking apps.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123