View Poll Results: who has a crack already?

Voters
628. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes a big one

29 4.62%
  • more than 2 cracks

23 3.66%
  • just a hairline crack

53 8.44%
  • none. My Tp is crack-free

523 83.28%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Well that sucks. I've been crack and cocaine free from late August until now. I woke up this morning, lo and behold, a crack next to the left speaker Mine's been in the folio case since day 1 and I also use touchstone.

Beware... you're next. The crack monster is coming to a town near you!
    No cracks on mine. Using HP TP case and the case goes into the HP neoprene sleeve. Overkill, perhaps, but mine is still in "new" condition.
    HP TouchPad 32GB (Rooted & Patched)
    Got mine back from repair this tuesday and today I discovered a hairline, but this time not at the speakers but the slide-out carriage. Not sure if the hairline was there since I got the TP back or developed in the last three days. Will have an eye on that “.ů
    Quote Originally Posted by h1r0ll3r View Post
    No cracks on mine. Using HP TP case and the case goes into the HP neoprene sleeve. Overkill, perhaps, but mine is still in "new" condition.
    Same here. I'm also careful on where I leave it when not in use - away from busy parts of the house.
    Palm Pilot Professional - Palm III - Palm Color - Sony Clie - Treo 700 - HP Touchpad
    hairline crack @ the speaker.
    No cracks on mine. But then I only had mine for a few weeks and it's mostly sitting on my Touchstone.
    I had 2 hairline cracks by the speaker AND it died. I sent it in and they fixed it, but there are marks along the seal around the screen where they pried it apart
    My case came first and then my touchpad. My touchpad has remained in its protective case ever since, gathering no cracks. Its all just chance I guess.
    I've had my TP now for about 3 weeks and thankfully it has not developed any cracks. As I posted on another thread, I believe that the type of plastic material used along with the design of the TouchPad are at fault. I've been making sure that when I pick it up or put it down I do so by holding it from both edges and therefore not putting any pressure on one side or the order. Also while in use, I'm holding it with both hands, not favoring one side or the order but basically letting it rest on the palm of my hands.

I'm sure that if I were to handle it the same way I do my iPad (grabbing it with two fingers from either side when I pick it up) it would eventually crack. The combination of the plastic material used and the location of the speakers along the edge make for very poor design decisions. BTW, the TP has been in it's case since I bought it but I honestly don't think that makes much of a difference when it comes to preventing cracks; it's all in the way you handle it.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    The most vocal posters are those with cracks. Just saying.
    Three TP 4G's - one in use daily for two weeks. No Cracks

One TP 64GB white. Had cracks in it when I took it out of the box - HP repair center has had it for a month now and there's no sign I'll be getting it back repaired or even getting a refurb or new replacement anytime soon. !@#$%^&*()_
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Posted on here earlier that I had no cracks, then I recently found a hairline crack by left speaker. The crack does not go all the way thru however under close inspection, and even with a little pressure the plastic does not separate or become uneven. I already have an Ipad and the TP is mainly for reading Kindle books or web surfing while in the bathroom , so no big deal. If I notice it getting worse, might put a dab of super glue on it, but I'm not going to hassle with sending it back for repair, especially when it may happen again anyway, and in the case, I don't even notice it anyway. I'm convinced the cracks are definitely a design flaw with stress points around the speakers or other openings around the case where the plastic is thinner. It seems to be just a matter of time before they develop no matter how careful you are with it. I only had mine about a week before it was in a case, and even then I held it with a microfiber cloth and handled it with extreme care until I got a case, so the hairline crack actually appeared after I put it in the case for that matter.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    5 TPs, no cracks.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Mine just cracked today. I've got it in the rubber case. Not sure how it happened. Could have been on the touchstone. What's the worst that could happen if left untreated?
    No cracks. Put the Zagg full body the second I opened the box. Put in straight into the Folio. Waited 5 days before turning the Touchpad on. Extreme, I know. Seems fine for now. A crack in the case doesn't bother me as much as a dead pixel.
    I will alway miss my Palm Zire 72. Retired, but not forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    Mine just cracked today. I've got it in the rubber case. Not sure how it happened. Could have been on the touchstone. What's the worst that could happen if left untreated?
    I would have said not much that I can think of since its mostly cosmetic. However mine cracked on one side of the top speaker all the way through to the screen and today I just noticed the other side of that same speaker has started a small harline crack as well. So eventually I'm thinking its going to crack all the way through as well then that entire piece of plastic between the speaker and screen is going to fall off thus leaving a gaping hole for dust and who knows what else to get inside the TP possibly damaging the internal circuitry components over time.
    Change my vote from no cracks, to a hairline. I'm just going to live with it. I honestly couldn't imagine having to wait ~10 days without my TouchPad. To be honest, I don't even know how long I've had it. It's taken it's share of tumbles off of couch arms, truck seats, car seats. I'm not overly concerned about it, as I think I've taken it out of its case a half dozen times.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2Ę about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Change my vote from no cracks, to a hairline. I'm just going to live with it. I honestly couldn't imagine having to wait ~10 days without my TouchPad. To be honest, I don't even know how long I've had it. It's taken it's share of tumbles off of couch arms, truck seats, car seats. I'm not overly concerned about it, as I think I've taken it out of its case a half dozen times.
    2 touch pads no cracks!11
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    curious how many people have yet to have a crack onntheir Touchpad and what type of protection they use?

I have a new TP and developed hairline crack already after a little over a week. No cases but have been extremely careful.
    Three touchpads and not a single crack. All three are 16gb and two are owned by 7 & 9 year old girls, so they're not babied.

One was at first in the HP case, but now all three are in cheap TPU cases and will always be.
    Firesale Tp, hp case, oc'd, used 8+ hrs aday, immaculate. Have dropped, even stepped on once when it fell out of the truck. I have zero complaints of build quality except for the finger print magnet back, but she does look good clean!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast