Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Let's say you have typed out a really long status on Facebook (and need to edit it) or need to slightly alter a long URL, how do you navigate to a specific spot? Basically, I need on-screen arrow keys to navigate.
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
    As far as I know, there isn't a way. In iOS, you can scroll with the bubble magnifier and I wish WebOS had that feature.
    Don't have my TP handy to try it but this might work.

Try the long press on it to bring up the "select/copy" screen and then when you get the little drag sliders slide all the way to where you need (hopefully it will auto scroll the line, it may not) and then tap on that spot to move the cursor.

If it wont let you get to the end, try tapping "Select All" which then should shoot you to the end so you can tap stuff on that side.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    I had an address in Maps which was way too large for the field and what I had to do to edit it was select all / copy / paste it in the Just Type box, edit it there, select all / copy / go back to Maps and paste it. Ugh.

WebOS is such a frustrating mix of greatness and awfulness.
    jblather, brum and zc1 like this.
    Why not just use the select markers to move through the text field rather than copying/pasting....
    I am, therefore I think
    I can't seem to get the hang of copy and pasting. It invariably takes me several attempts, sometimes way to many to get it accomplished. Especially copying urls in the browser.

Any tips for the clumsy?
    There is no way besides using precise button clicking, and it's the greatest weakness of the Keyboard. It needs an arrow fix/hack or a super pinch to zoom function!
    clayclay350 likes this.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Why not just use the select markers to move through the text field rather than copying/pasting....
    When I dragged the marker toward the edge of the field, it did not scroll the text or widen the field - just stopped, wouldn't let me drag it any further. Is it supposed to scroll the text in this circumstance?
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    When I dragged the marker toward the edge of the field, it did not scroll the text or widen the field - just stopped, wouldn't let me drag it any further. Is it supposed to scroll the text in this circumstance?
    I just tried it myself and it didn't work either. We seriously need a keyboard update or a patch. This sucks!
    I am, therefore I think
    What amazes me is that the people who designed TP/WebOS didn't actually try this before releasing the product. I'm kinda glad they are all getting laid off.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    What amazes me is that the people who designed TP/WebOS didn't actually try this before releasing the product. I'm kinda glad they are all getting laid off.
    To be fair, it doesn't really work in iOS or Android, either. Sadly enough, the functionality is awesome in Symbian (it actually pops up a new, word-wrapped text window).
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
    To be fair, it doesn't really work in iOS or Android, either. Sadly enough, the functionality is awesome in Symbian (it actually pops up a new, word-wrapped text window).
    My HTC Thunderbolt works great. I have left/right arrows on my keyboard and can scroll as much as I want. All I need on my TP are arrow keys and i'll be happy.
    This is the one area that makes me want to throw my Touchpad through a window. So frustrating, and then today I was on a site where I could not paste text into a text box (because I'm guessing they had some kind of magic JavaScript that Webkit did not like).
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

brum likes this.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    On my HTC Legend I can drag the text and selection markers, so it does atleast on some Android.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    DizWhiz likes this.
    Well, on my iphone 4, I can tap and hold until I see a bubble magnifier. Then I can scroll right or left by moving my finger. I'm sure ipad is the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    You can release the drag marker, scroll the text with your finger, and resume moving the marker. I had to figure this out the other day.

Using shift+arrow keys or shift+pgup/pgdn/home/end like you can do in Windows would make things a lot easier. Hope an update brings this functionality eventually.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    The TP just needs left and right arrow keys built into the keyboard then all will be well. I believe someone is working on this as we speak.
    Last edited by rico2001; 09/22/2011 at 11:16 AM.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by rico2001 View Post
    The TP just needs left and right arrow keys built into the keyboard then all will be well. I believe someone is working on this as we speak.
    It has arrow keys. It just doesn't have the ability to make use of them properly.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    It has arrow keys. It just doesn't have the ability to make use of them properly.
    My two TP's don't have left and right arrow keys on it's keyboard, perhaps you are referring to the HP Bluetooth keyboard, which I don't have and can't comment on. The two up arrow keys on the Touchpad are for uppercase and lower case switching. Again, hopefully they will make a patch to change to keyboard with left and right arrow keys soon.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
    My HTC Glacier, Nexus One and G-Tablet would like to have a word with you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast