Page 1 of 24 123456 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
  1.    #1  
    UPDATED FOR 3.0.5!

READ THIS FIRST!!!!!!
    This post is outdated - the new instructions to do this are out (reasonably fool-proof).

You can find it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/3218146-post139.html

and the 3.0.5 version of the patch is here:

The -NEW- HULU fix!

I will leave the manual instructions below for basic reference, but I highly suggest you use the automated patch.

WARNING: Installing this patch -will- break your app catalog in oddball ways. You can easily uninstall the user-agent patch using the instructions given below, and that will bring back full app-catalog functionality (so basically, you either have Hulu or App Catalog at any given time - changing between the two is simple and fast).

As posted by raymackay (and edited a bit to add some specific instructions for our newer members):

Please remember that this is an advanced fix using a terminal connection to a linux command line. You are doing this at your own risk. It is a simple process, but if you are at all unsure of your ability to follow these instructions -exactly- please do not attempt this unless you want to visit the webOS doctor.

Step 1: ensure you are in DEV MODE. If you don't know how to do this, check my post here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html

Go into webOS quick install on your home pc - you can find it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

Run the program, select the TOOLS tab, and pick LINUX COMMANDLINE. Make sure your browser is closed on the touchpad.

You should now be in a terminal at a command line looking at your touchpad . Now, type the following lines EXACTLY!!!

1) mount –o remount,rw /
    2) mount –o remount,rw /media/cryptofs
    3) cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    4) cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    5) mv libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.old
    6) mv libflashplayer.so.sig libflashplayer.so.sig.old
    7) cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins
    8) sed -i 's/WEB 10/LNX 10/' libflashplayer.so
    9) mount –o remount,ro /
    10) mount –o remount,ro /media/cryptofs

Allright, you all still with me? What we just did is changed the flash player identifier to say LNX (identifying us as a desktop linux machine). Now we just need to change our user agent.

Go to this link and download the change-user-agent patch (DO NOT USE THE ONE ATTACHED TO THIS POST, THAT IS FOR 3.0.2):
    http://forums.precentral.net/3213355-post99.html
    If you use this patch, in the next instructions you'll just have to change what you type to reflect the new filename (in this case, change-user-agent instead of hulu-fix)

Step one: Download the file attached to that post (NOT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST) and EXTRACT it to an easy to find spot (like your desktop).
    Step two: "send" this file (tools > send file) using webosquickinstall to /media/internal
    Step three: open a linux command line (tools > linux commandline) in webosquickinstall
    Step four: type this exactly into the terminal window:

/media/internal/change-user-agent

The device will change the user agent and reboot the touchpad. Be patient, this takes about one minute.

TADA, HULU works once more!

If it's still not working (black screen on videos) you need to remove any adblocking patches you have (adblock or max blocker), delete cache/history/cookies in the browser, and reboot the touchpad one last time. Now Hulu will work.

When or if you ever want to uninstall the user agent patch, you simple go back to a linux command line again (in webosquickinstall) and type:

/media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall.

This will break hulu and fix your app catalog. Be patient again, it'll take about one minute before everything's back up and running.

Also once you do this, note you will have to repeat if any flash updates are downloaded though software update manager because it will reinstall to the cryptofs location. Unless they release an update disabling loading plugins from the old location, it should continue to work.

Instructions for 3.0.2 - saved for any holdout users

BEFORE YOU DO THIS PLEASE NOTE - This process will break your ability to go to the HP app catalog. You can easily reverse this and/or reapply to enable either app catalog or HULU fix, but it's certainly not ideal. Uninstall instructions are at the bottom of this post to allow app catalog use.

Please remember that this is an advanced fix using a terminal connection to a linux command line. You are doing this at your own risk. It is a simple process, but if you are at all unsure of your ability to follow these instructions -exactly- please do not attempt this unless you want to visit the webOS doctor.

First, if you do not already have the HULU FIX patch from preware, get it. If it is no longer available, then you can manually perform this fix (this is necessary to change the libflashplayer.so file, one of the two things HULU checks for).

The next several steps assume you DON'T have the HULU FIX patch. If you already have this patch, skip this section and scroll down to the next BOLD text.

Step 1: ensure you are in DEV MODE. If you don't know how to do this, check my post here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html

Go into webOS quick install on your home pc - you can find it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

Run the program, select the TOOLS tab, and pick LINUX COMMANDLINE. Make sure your browser is closed on the touchpad.

You should now be in a terminal at a command line looking at your touchpad .

Now type or copy and paste the following lines into the terminal window. Hit enter after each line:

mount -o remount,rw /

cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins

cp libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.bak

sed -i 's/WEB 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so

Allright, you all still with me? Now we change our user agent.

I went ahead and edited an old patch to allow you to easily enable and disable hulu.

Step one: Download the file attached to this post and EXTRACT it to an easy to find spot (like your desktop).
    Step two: "send" this file (tools > send file) using webosquickinstall to /media/internal
    Step three: open a linux command line (tools > linux commandline) in webosquickinstall
    Step four: type this exactly into the terminal window:

/media/internal/change-user-agent

The device will change the agent and auto-reboot. Be patient, it'll take a minute or two for the device to patch and reboot.

TADA, HULU works once more!

If it's still not working (black screen on videos) you need to remove any adblocking patches you have (adblock or max blocker), delete cache/history/cookies in the browser, and reboot the touchpad one last time. Now Hulu will work.

When you want to uninstall it (so you can use app-catalog again), you simple go back to a linux command line again (in webosquickinstall) and type:

/media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall

TADA, app catalog works.

You can also, if you like, run these commands from inside the device using xterm (you'll have to install xecutah and xterm from preware to do this). You'll still have to move this file to your /media/internal first though - you can do that pretty simply by plugging the touchpad into the computer and going into USB STORAGE mode, then simply copying the change-user-agent file to the root directory (drag and drop, basically).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ncinerate; 01/13/2012 at 04:49 PM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    knew it would only be a matter of time. Its just something I have come to expect from this unreal community. Way to go!
    first rule of Hulu-Fix is "don't write about the Hulu-fix"

;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

;-)
    lol
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

atg284 likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

;-)
    Lol... Well, if they block this one at least I can easily update the patch. Shouldn't be hard to keep it working unless they do something more drastic :-)

Lets all keep it between us 450,000 users...
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    would it be possible to create an app to act like a toggle switch for this?
    I'd imagine one could do the toggling on the device itself via xterm
    Worked. Used Xecutah. If I need app cat, I'll uninstall. F15C reboot takes about 30 secs. That's about the best you can do and the instructions are just vague enough. I like it. You people and your toggle... Wah!
    This works. Thanks

However, nytimes videos won't load for me anymore. Could you look into that please?

Thanks. Much appreciated

Edit: nvm, works after a reboot
    Last edited by zunairryk; 09/20/2011 at 12:19 PM.
    I say just get playOn and forget about it lol
    but i guess its pretty coo to have this work around get job keep up the good work
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Nice work. Glad to have this back.
    thank you very much...could you please explain what each of these commands do:

mount -o remount,rw /

also, if you do those commands, how do you undo them?

Are they exactly the same thing as what the hulu patch on preware does?

Oh and are there any other ramifications to the user agent patch? like does it give you an ipad user agent and you get ipad versions of websites? that would be sweet!

sorry for all the questions, but when i was just starting I was just putting commands in, now i'm trying to understand how this stuff works
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post

mount -o remount,rw /

Oh and are there any other ramifications to the user agent patch? like does it give you an ipad user agent and you get ipad versions of websites? that would be sweet!

sorry for all the questions, but when i was just starting I was just putting commands in, now i'm trying to understand how this stuff works
    Dude, google? You probably shouldn't be doing this. No offense, but most of those are simple linux command lines. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux+command+dictionary
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post

mount -o remount,rw /

I can break it down for you.

Those initial commands are a -long- way to perform a fairly simple task. You are changing a whopping 3 letters inside the libflashplayer.so file. HULU is asking this file what device you are using to play video, and the device responds with a 3 letter code. The touchpad code is WEB. Hulu sees this and immediately kicks back the "unsupported" code. What this set of steps does is changes the letters WEB into WIN (windows). LNX (linux) would also work, but in this instance we are pretending to be a windows machine.

So, line by line, you are first remounting the drive as editable. Some touchpads are in read-only mode and this will block the edit. The mount command fixes this.

The "cd" command is "C"hanging your "D"irectory to the directory that houses the file you are modifying.

The "cp" command is "C"o"P"ying the file in question, creating a backup so this can be reversed later if necessary.

Finally, the "sed" command is a "S"tream "ED"itor. The stream editor is basically a command line hex editor, it searches the interior of the libflashplayer.so file for the piece of text we are changing (the word "WEB 10") and changes it into "WIN 10".

This process can be reversed if you needed to (although I have found nothing that this process actually breaks). It is effectively identical to what the "hulu fix" patch did - although as I recall he utilized the LNX identifier instead of WIN. Either way works.

To reverse the process, you would go back to the linux command line, and type these commands:

rm libflashplayer.so

cp libflashplayer.so.bak libflashplayer.so

What you've done there is "R"e"M"oved the edited libflashplayer file, and replaced it with the backup you previously created. I didn't put these instructions in the original post because again, I haven't found any reason not to leave this identifier WIN or LNX. It doesn't appear to break any content, and it actually makes quite a bit of web content accessable simply by changing this line (for example, bbc iplayer will work once you complete this edit, where it previously wouldn't).

As for ramifications - right now this patch is essentially masquerading as a desktop or laptop PC. The only ramification this -may- cause is if there is a rare website that has a touchpad-specific mobile version, you will not see it. And, of course, this patch breaks the app catalog as I have already discussed. No way around that one I'm afraid - I've done some pretty heavy testing of various strings and combinations - HP tests for the same parts of the string that Hulu does, so they will ONLY work for one or the other.

To get ipad-specific websites, you would need a different patch altogether, and this would break both the app catalog AND hulu, so it's less than ideal .

Hope that explanation helped.

I have been changing back and forth between http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...uchpad-mac.zip and ncinerate's version. The mac display works quite well on the TP and when you want some hulu it's just a quick trip to Internalz then Xecutah and bingo. Thanks for everything ncinerate. You certainly have a great understanding of this and taking the time to explain it all is nice. I had the notion you wanted to keep this a bit more vague so as not to give hulu the upper hand, but webOS being such an open community and platform, I guess they will have to try harder ;-)
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Has anyone got this to work with Hulu? I no longer get the incompatibility error; but, the movie does not load either.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Lol... Well, if they block this one at least I can easily update the patch. Shouldn't be hard to keep it working unless they do something more drastic :-)

Lets all keep it between us 450,000 users...
    Great solution! Anyway you could possibly develop a solution for the use of the iPad default interface for Google Music?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale46 View Post
    Has anyone got this to work with Hulu? I no longer get the incompatibility error; but, the movie does not load either.
    Make sure you don't have an adblocking software installed. Delete your history/cache/cookies. Reboot your touchpad. Try hulu again.

It works, I'm watching something on hulu as I type this.

Congrats Ncinerate.

now to wait 8 hours to install LOL
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    thanks very much ncinerate for that detailed explanation. it really is very helpful.

this makes me think can we change user agent of say firefox with useragent switcher so we could use the app catalog on PC (for example to use promocodes when we can't get to our touchpads) ?
    siestacat likes this.
Page 1 of 24 123456 11 ... LastLast