Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    Is there a way you can check this ahead of time? Like I file I can echo in the terminal to check the value of the useragent or something? I did the manual Hulu fix but that was back before updating to 3.0.4.
    If you updated to 3.0.4 and havent done the fix since, you should be fine to use that patch...

You can easily check if your touchpad is in "virgin" status. Just go here:

Find Flash Player version

That should show your flash player as WEB.

Now go here:

Whats My User Agent?

That should show your user agent as an HP touchpad with webOS.

Long as both of those things are true, this patch -should- work properly.

Once you apply the patch you should be able to go back to those two sites immediately and see the changes have been applied.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Fantastic. I'll be sure to check that once I get home.

Final question (then I'll leave you alone, I swear!): you've got the install patch and then the command for an uninstall. How difficult would it be to make a script/homebrew app/launcher link to quickly toggle the user agent on-and-off so that you don't need to go to the command line every time you wanna check the HP store?
    sfLauren#WN likes this.
  3.    #143  
    Fantastic. I'll be sure to check that once I get home.

Final question (then I'll leave you alone, I swear!): you've got the install patch and then the command for an uninstall. How difficult would it be to make a script/homebrew app/launcher link to quickly toggle the user agent on-and-off so that you don't need to go to the command line every time you wanna check the HP store?
    I'd say, not hard at all. A few seconds work of work even. Feel free to create one.

I feel I've already probably made the process too easy. I am half expecting my fix to be "broken" soon .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyraider View Post
    A quick heads up. For those of you that have a working App Catalog after the new Hulu fix, DO NOT UPDATE your App Catalog to the latest one. It now seem to look at the user agent again so if you have the spoofed UA, the catalog will no longer work.

BTW....does anyone know how to undo the update...........sigh....
    I don't know about you but although the app catalog would load with the user agent installed, it didn't work correctly so was essentially useless. I could see test items listed that shouldn't have shown up and could only load free items, not paid or promo codes.
  5.    #145  
    I went ahead and updated my original post to reflect my new Hulu fix (the all-in-one patch that should fix everything with minimal effort).

You can find the relevant details and the patch here:

http://forums.precentral.net/3218146-post139.html

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I'd say, not hard at all. A few seconds work of work even. Feel free to create one.

I feel I've already probably made the process too easy. I am half expecting my fix to be "broken" soon .
    I wouldn't know where to begin, unfortunately, or I would. My command of linux is rudimentary at best, and even then I have no idea how it interacts with webOS.
  7.    #147  
    I wouldn't know where to begin, unfortunately, or I would. My command of linux is rudimentary at best, and even then I have no idea how it interacts with webOS.
    I feel I've made it simple enough. You literally need to type one single line into a terminal to apply or uninstall this patch.

/media/internal/hulu

or

/media/internal/hulu uninstall

You can even do it -from- the touchpad using xterm. I've already put considerable time into making it easier for everyone. Any easier and I'm telling you right now this patch would get blocked before you could shout your yippee (just like last time we put out a mass market hulu fix on preware).

An app that applies/removes the patch would be simple to create. Painfully simple.

And I think it's a bad idea, so I won't do it.

Thanks for leaving the manual instructions up. For those who already applied them manually, they may decide they need to uninstall back to the default flash plugin.
    Last edited by digital_being; 10/21/2011 at 10:25 PM.
    Too bad Xfinity(Comcast) still does not work.
    Ok, after much annoyance and a couple webOS doctors, I think I FINALLY have an all-in-one fairly idiotproof patch...

WARNING!!!!!! If you have already done this patching process manually, this patch MAY NOT WORK! You may break your flash player if you run this patch after having performed the manual work and require a visit to the webOS doctor! DO NOT RUN THIS PATCH UNLESS YOUR TOUCHPAD IS COMPLETELY BACK TO STOCK ON IT'S USER AGENT AND FLASH IDENTIFIER STRING.

Please note, this is an ALPHA patch. It will likely throw an error or two but it should work. You should be able to run this patch and it will install the hulu user agent fix AND the flash fix without requiring a reboot. Again, this is an ALPHA patch and I am not responsible if you install it and it magically borks your touchpad. This will do nothing a webOS doctor won't fix, so gauge your willingness to test this patch on whether or not you'd be ok running a doctor if things go wrong.

To install:

Step one: Download the file attached to THIS post and EXTRACT (unzip) it to an easy to find spot (like your desktop).

Step two: "send" this file (tools > send file) using webosquickinstall to /media/internal
    OR: put the touchpad into USB mode and drag/drop this EXTRACTED file to your touchpad (that will automatically put it in the /media/internal directory)

Step three: open a linux command line (tools > linux commandline) in webosquickinstall
    OR: open a terminal window on the touchpad itself in xterm (you will need to install xecutah, xserver, and xterm from preware to do this).

Step four: type this exactly into the terminal window:

/media/internal/hulu

The device will very likely pop an error or two (again this is an ALPHA patch), but it should finish up without any real trouble in under 30 seconds. There is NO reboot required.

TADA, HULU works once more! Your app catalog is now broken.

If it's still not working (black screen on videos) you need to remove any adblocking patches you have (adblock or max blocker), delete cache/history/cookies in the browser, and reboot the touchpad. Now Hulu will work.

When you want to fix your app catalog so you can download new programs, go back to the linux command line again (in webosquickinstall) and type:

/media/internal/hulu uninstall.

This will break hulu and fix your app catalog. It'll take 30 seconds or less to complete and you're back in business.

The patch will stay on the device, so you can easily flip back and forth from hulu installed and uninstalled.
    That is flippin awesome. I love that its a sh file and I can see whats happening, vs some compiled ipk or something that I would have no idea whats happening as it runs.
  11. svp
    THANK YOU NCINERATE!!! That's much more *****-proof than previously and works even for an ***** like me! You're the best! You too TexasFlood! Peace! Great job!

-------
    Unrelated, does anyone know of a patch which will automatically "Always BCC myself" when composing or replying to an e-Mail message?

On my iOS device I simply go into settings>mail contacts calendars>always BCC myself (on/off). Easy.

In webOS one has to click on the 'To:' field to see both CC and BCC and then manually type it in each time (or forget and regret). So there's no automatic BCC setting (yet).

Last gripe (and I'm sorry if it doesn't belong in this thread) is: It would be really nice to be able to rotate landscape 180 degrees in video mode.

Finally a question: Does the HP Touchpad have/support ebooks/ereaders? Which formats/vendors are supported?

Cheers for any thoughts!
    Last edited by svp; 10/22/2011 at 02:52 PM.
    I followed the instructions for the patch, and am happily watching a show right now. But I did have a couple of bumps along the way...I don't know if this is anomalous or if perhaps others might have observed similar behavior from time to time...

After running the patch the first time, my initial visit resulted in a video running perfectly until...I got a phone call and hit "pause." When the call was over, I hit "play," the video resumed with no sound. (Sound wasn't affected in other programs.) After a luna restart, I reloaded the website, and was greeted with a message saying that I needed to unblock ads in order to watch a show - but I hadn't blocked ads! So I uninstalled and reinstalled the patch, and then the video wouldn't load. I uninstalled and reinstalled again - same problem - then I cleared history, cookies and the cache, and the video loaded and ran perfectly, with sound.

As I said, I don't know if anyone else has experienced similar glitches, so I thought I'd post in case this might help others.

Katie
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    what is up with the non-functional hulu in the 1st place?? Hulu Plus subscriber and I can watch content on my Gingerbread phone; but cant' watch on my Honeycomb XOOM or Touchpad??
  14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by d1c1ple View Post
    what is up with the non-functional hulu in the 1st place?? Hulu Plus subscriber and I can watch content on my Gingerbread phone; but cant' watch on my Honeycomb XOOM or Touchpad??
    Who knows - HULU has some odd rules for what can and cannot play their videos.

They seem to consider the touchpad to be a "mobile" device despite the fact that it is a wifi-only device without 3G or 4G data and is far more similar to a laptop or netbook which HULU allows.

It's a silly policy, but it is what it is.

As for SVP - No idea on the BCC issue, pretty sure there's no solution at present. E-readers available for touchpad right now are preader and the kindle app, they work reasonably well but both have issues. I imagine that things will improve on that front, but to be honest with you, I've been doing my e-reading by dual booting android. YMMV.

Both short and long answers (if you read the comments) are here:
    http://www.precentral.net/hulu-final...atching-videos

Katie
    Yeah, early investigation is showing the same thing. Not sure why it's borking things up .

I'll fiddle with it more - it should still be a simple change that solves this. In the meantime, here's an updated change-user-agent patch. This won't fix hulu, but may help with someone investigating things. Don't use this patch unless you know what you're doing and are investigating hulu. Again, this patch WILL NOT FIX HULU. This fix would be required to fix hulu at the hulu site, but you also need to figure out how to change the WEB to WIN or LNX in the flash player .so file because hulu also checks for that.

Anyway, hope that file helps. I'll fiddle with everything more later.
    Hi...Is the updated change-user-agent script that you've referenced actually updated? The first few lines of code still reference webOS3.0.2 not 3.0.4...and the Patch version is still the same as the script built for 3.0.2 (ie. 2.5).
    # Edited by Ncinerate to provide HULU support for the HP TouchPad, webOS 3.0.2

# User Agent Spoofer for webOS devices (universal)
    # Copyright 2009-2010 Carl E. Thompson (devel-webos [at] carlthompson.net)
    # Much help from hofs1 and wtgreen at PreCentral.net . Thank you.

PATCH_VERSION="2.5"

# these must be the same length
    # these are for webOS 3.0.2
  17.    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkgiles View Post
    Hi...Is the updated change-user-agent script that you've referenced actually updated? The first few lines of code still reference webOS3.0.2 not 3.0.4...and the Patch version is still the same as the script built for 3.0.2 (ie. 2.5).
    # Edited by Ncinerate to provide HULU support for the HP TouchPad, webOS 3.0.2

# User Agent Spoofer for webOS devices (universal)
    # Copyright 2009-2010 Carl E. Thompson (devel-webos [at] carlthompson.net)
    # Much help from hofs1 and wtgreen at PreCentral.net . Thank you.

PATCH_VERSION="2.5"

# these must be the same length
    # these are for webOS 3.0.2
    That was a quick knock-together patch for preliminary investigation of hulu in 3.0.4. I didn't bother changing the commented out stuff you're noticing. It's updated for the 3.0.4 user agent as you can see if you scroll just a bit further down and read it (and of course, it wouldn't work if it didn't - the patch checks the user agent to ensure it matches the one inside the patch, and if it is not, it kicks you an error). The user agent changed in 3.0.4 so a 3.0.2 patch would not work.

There were other changes too, requiring a slightly more complex method to get the libflashplayer set up properly (effectively eliminating the signed copy), but those issues weren't dealt with in that preliminary user agent patch.

Either way, don't use that patch anymore - migrate to the new patch. The new patch I released automatically activates hulu with no need for advanced linux usage, and doesn't require a reboot.

That patch is here:

http://forums.precentral.net/3218146-post139.html
    Last edited by ncinerate; 10/23/2011 at 09:45 AM.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ncinerate,

Thank you for great work. I tried it last night and it worked perfectly.
    When I tried it this afternoon, I got the "this device is not supported" message...

Has anyone able to use hulu on their touchpad today? I just wanted to figure out whether it's me or something else.
    Last edited by mrbears; 10/23/2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Message truncated
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbears View Post
    ncinerate,

Thank you for great work. I tried it last night and it worked perfectly.
    When I tried it this afternoon, I got the "this device is not supported" message...

Has anyone able to use hulu on their touchpad today? I just wanted to figure out whether it's me or something else.
    Nevermind, it worked on my fourth try after uninstalling and installing hulu patch. Not sure why it didn't take it first couple times today (it worked every time last night for me), but patch still works. Whew! :-)
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbears View Post
    Nevermind, it worked on my fourth try after uninstalling and installing hulu patch. Not sure why it didn't take it first couple times today (it worked every time last night for me), but patch still works. Whew! :-)
    ALPHA patch .

I had this issue pop up once, I think it has something to do with pkill not properly killing the browser (or perhaps I had the browser open when I ran the patch).

At any rate, glad an uninstall/install cycle fixed it for you. As I recall, I rebooted my touchpad and everything was back to normal .

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast