Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
    Thanks everybody for the easy to follow instructions! Yes, Flash does seem to run more smoothly!
    Thank you very much @ncinerate and @raymckay, it works perfectly. I'm watching the daily show now. I do also get the July Pivot in the App Store. I wonder if there's a user agent string that'll satisfy hacking and Pivot needs alike
    Is there a way to make Netflix work?

webOS Developer
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post

yes. Its called splashtop
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    yes but driod on itn and boot Into driod when you want netflix and hoot into webos when you want everything else
    Sure would be nice if there was patch to do all this.
  7.    #127  
    Netflix uses silverlight, not flash. It's a totally different animal and basically requires the company themselves to release an app to run it (which apparently isn't going to happen for our touchpads).

Your two options for running netflix on the touchpad are either through Splashtop (which streams it from your PC over a remote-desktop application, meaning you tie up your desktop to use it), or by installing android dual-boot on your touchpad (CM7 runs netflix flawlessly).

I prefer the dual-boot option, as I can quickly (under 30 seconds) boot into android and watch anything I like on netflix. When I'm done, I can easily reboot into webOS (under 1 minute) once more. Of course, android on the touchpad is still in alpha testing and thus I don't recommend this option to anyone who isn't fairly computer savvy until they've worked out some of the quirks .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Is there currently a touchpad runnable terminal solution? So that I can do and undo this on the fly without a computer? Terminal doesn't seem to work anymore....
    Check out Paper Basketball Plus! A toss it / paper toss style game with achievements, timed mode, moving targets and more! Buy 1 app, use it on pixi / veer / pre / touchpad all in full resolution! It's neat. I swear. For reals.

http://bit.ly/moZYOq
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    If it's just some manual typing stuff, why haven't we made a script that can do that, yet? Even just a simple linux bash script.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    PlayOn is another solution for watching NetFlix on the TP.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
  11.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    If it's just some manual typing stuff, why haven't we made a script that can do that, yet? Even just a simple linux bash script.
    Feel free to do it. There are reasons it hasn't been "simply" done yet, if you want to do it I'd appreciate and promote your patch . As it sits, I managed to complete every step and set up hulu on my touchpad in about three minutes, and that was -including- re-fixing my user-agent-change script to the new user agent.

A typical user should be able to finish this in a minute or two, and once past the "manual" bits, installing/uninstalling takes 60 seconds. I am busy and don't have the time to make this any simpler at present. If I get time down the line I'll finish my patch that incorporates this fix into the web browser itself.

In the meantime, enjoy hulu in 2 minutes of work or less . Also, little minor note - if I make the hulu fix too simple and mass-market, our devices will be blocked by hulu almost immediately (as happened last time someone made a "simple" fix). I can think of a couple ways they could change and fix this that would effectively make this fix impossible. Lets not make an arms race out of it, lets just enjoy hulu.

For the other comment asking about terminal - from preware you need to get xecutah, xserver, and xterm. Then you can do all of this work internally using xterm (open xecutah and tap on xterm). That's your terminal program on the touchpad, no computer required.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    SVP, worked fine for me. This change has not been a big deal to do or back out for me. Deciding to "erase and wipe and delete my whole thing" without simply asking for help in fixing it seems like quite the extreme reaction, as does calling it a nightmare. This should be fixable without a lot of effort, certainly much less effort that doctoring the touchpad. If HP advised you to do so I'm not really surprised. If I was tech support and somebody jacked up their touchpad then called the vendor for help I might say the same.

If you're not comfortable working in a Linux xterm environment then perhaps this is understandable. I suspect that either there is some issue with the instructions that I'm honestly not seeing, or something was missed or mis-typed.

The error you're getting sounds like what was happening to me when I tried to edit libflashplayer.so in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/ rather than renaming it and libflashplayer.so.sig then putting a patched version of libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/ .

What version string does the Adobe "Find Flash Player version" show? What files are in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/ ? If you cd to /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/ and run "grep LNX libflashplayer.so", what is the result?
  13. svp
    I've reset my unit by my own accord. I was not advised to do so. It's downloading all the apps and restoring now. I DO Love this device and everyone's input. I'm adventurous enough but perhaps not informed enough to really play with "the big boys" (about Linux). I'll need a more *****-proof option for this Hulu problem. (I'm the *****.) Sorry if I offended anyone.
    Hulu works for me in 3.0.4. But I typed everything on XTerm right on the touchpad and my touchpad rebooted after I changed the user agent.

Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    UPDATED FOR 3.0.4
    Step four: type this exactly into the terminal window:

/media/internal/change-user-agent

The device will change the user agent and the new patch won't even require a reboot! Awesome!

TADA, HULU works once more!
    ^ right after I did that it rebooted, just like it always rebooted with your old 3.0.2 one.

But other than that it worked perfectly.

EDITED to add
    Also reboots when I uninstall it too.
    Last edited by Ericsc83; 10/20/2011 at 09:44 PM.
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericsc83 View Post
    Hulu works for me in 3.0.4. But I typed everything on XTerm right on the touchpad and my touchpad rebooted after I changed the user agent.

^ right after I did that it rebooted, just like it always rebooted with your old 3.0.2 one.

But other than that it worked perfectly.

EDITED to add
    Also reboots when I uninstall it too.
    Yes, sorry, I wrote those instructions with the -other- patch in mind (that is supposed to not reboot). Unfortunately, it doesn't currently work, and I forgot to edit my post to reflect that MY patch still requires a reboot. I'll edit now...

Quote Originally Posted by svp View Post
    I've reset my unit by my own accord. I was not advised to do so. It's downloading all the apps and restoring now. I DO Love this device and everyone's input. I'm adventurous enough but perhaps not informed enough to really play with "the big boys" (about Linux). I'll need a more *****-proof option for this Hulu problem. (I'm the *****.) Sorry if I offended anyone.
    My skin is thicker than that, . I just thought it would be easier to fix it than doctor it. But it's your choice so if you go to try it again I'm sure folks here can help you if needed.
    A quick heads up. For those of you that have a working App Catalog after the new Hulu fix, DO NOT UPDATE your App Catalog to the latest one. It now seem to look at the user agent again so if you have the spoofed UA, the catalog will no longer work.

BTW....does anyone know how to undo the update...........sigh....
    Last edited by dizzyraider; 10/21/2011 at 06:47 AM.
    A quick heads up. For those of you that have a working App Catalog after the new Hulu fix, DO NOT UPDATE your App Catalog to the latest one. It now seem to look at the user agent again so if you have the spoofed UA, the catalog will no longer work.

BTW....does anyone know how to undo the update...........sigh....
    the old ver of the catalog had broken link loading and broken promo codes

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  19.    #139  
    EDIT: The patch attached to this post is for 3.0.4. For 3.0.5, please use the patch file at the following link:
    The -NEW- HULU fix!

Once you have that file, follow the instructions below to install it.

Ok, after much annoyance and a couple webOS doctors, I think I FINALLY have an all-in-one fairly idiotproof patch... This patch is for webOS 3.0.4 -only- (I was doing some investigations into supporting 3.0.2 as well, but it is currently broken in this patch, do NOT use this patch on 3.0.2).

WARNING!!!!!! If you have already done this patching process manually, this patch MAY NOT WORK! You may break your flash player if you run this patch after having performed the manual work and require a visit to the webOS doctor! DO NOT RUN THIS PATCH UNLESS YOUR TOUCHPAD IS COMPLETELY BACK TO STOCK ON IT'S USER AGENT AND FLASH IDENTIFIER STRING.

Warning #2: This patch is designed for 3.0.4. DO NOT USE THIS PATCH WITH 3.0.2. This patch is designed for 3.0.4.

This is an ALPHA patch. It will likely throw an error or two but it should work. You should be able to run this patch and it will install the hulu user agent fix AND the flash fix without requiring a reboot. Again, this is an ALPHA patch and I am not responsible if you install it and it magically borks your touchpad. This will do nothing a webOS doctor won't fix, so gauge your willingness to test this patch on whether or not you'd be ok running a doctor if things go wrong.

To install:

Step one: Download the file attached to THIS post and EXTRACT (unzip) it to an easy to find spot (like your desktop).

Step two: "send" this file (tools > send file) using webosquickinstall to /media/internal
    OR: put the touchpad into USB mode and drag/drop this EXTRACTED file to your touchpad (that will automatically put it in the /media/internal directory)

Step three: open a linux command line (tools > linux commandline) in webosquickinstall
    OR: open a terminal window on the touchpad itself in xterm (you will need to install xecutah, xserver, and xterm from preware to do this).

Step four: type this exactly into the terminal window:

/media/internal/hulu

The device will very likely pop an error or two (again this is an ALPHA patch), but it should finish up without any real trouble in under 30 seconds. There is NO reboot required.

TADA, HULU works once more! Your app catalog is now broken.

If it's still not working (black screen on videos) you need to remove any adblocking patches you have (adblock or max blocker), delete cache/history/cookies in the browser, and reboot the touchpad. Now Hulu will work.

When you want to fix your app catalog so you can download new programs, go back to the linux command line again (in webosquickinstall) and type:

/media/internal/hulu uninstall.

This will break hulu and fix your app catalog. It'll take 30 seconds or less to complete and you're back in business.

The patch will stay on the device, so you can easily flip back and forth from hulu installed and uninstalled.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ncinerate; 01/13/2012 at 04:50 PM.

svp likes this.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Ok, after much annoyance and a couple webOS doctors, I think I FINALLY have an all-in-one fairly idiotproof patch...

WARNING!!!!!! If you have already done this patching process manually, this patch MAY NOT WORK! You may break your flash player if you run this patch after having performed the manual work and require a visit to the webOS doctor! DO NOT RUN THIS PATCH UNLESS YOUR TOUCHPAD IS COMPLETELY BACK TO STOCK ON IT'S USER AGENT AND FLASH IDENTIFIER STRING.
    Is there a way you can check this ahead of time? Like I file I can echo in the terminal to check the value of the useragent or something? I did the manual Hulu fix but that was back before updating to 3.0.4.
    skyone likes this.
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 17 ... LastLast