Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
    Ohh, one thing I forgot, I have also replaced the reboot with

/usr/bin/pkill BrowserServer$ || do_error "Browser reload failed"

With this no reboot is required after applying. My version of the script is attached. I have not merged the flash stuff into this so this is still just useragent only and the flash steps still need to be followed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raymckay View Post
    An interesting note. The HP app catalog no longer seems to use the user agent string. This means you can set it and forget it and the app catalog appears to continue to work.
    Ok guys, the fix is actually easier than you'd think....

An interesting note. The HP app catalog no longer seems to use the user agent string. This means you can set it and forget it and the app catalog appears to continue to work.
    Looks like you sorted it out. I saw that .sig file but didn't understand what it was and tried a few combinations of renaming files and moving them around but none worked. I just successfully tested your method though so thanks for that. Yesterday I was cynical about this working at all and today it's working better than ever! Very cool.
    Something odd. I just went through all the steps. I couldn't run the mount –o remount,ro /media/cryptofs after reboot as it says mount: mounting cryptofs on /media/cryptofs failed: Device or resource busy

But that's not the odd part. Also, I didn't run the hulu-fix because I am not sure how. I copied it to /media/internal thinking you run it like change-user-agent. I am using the novacom.cmd from the linux command line but I must be missing something. When I try this it comes back as hulu-fix: not found. But that is still not the odd part.

I can succesfully watch Hulu, but still not the odd part.

The odd part is I go into the HP Catalog and it is showing me the July Pivot. That is the odd part. Any clue as to what I am missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabramson View Post
    The odd part is I go into the HP Catalog and it is showing me the July Pivot. That is the odd part. Any clue as to what I am missing.
    I'm seeing it as well, others reported seeing it yesterday before it happened to me.
    After successfully using the Hulu patch for the last week, it has quit working. My device asked me if I wanted to auto-download the newest OS update the other day, I said yep.

I am currently running HP webOS 3.0.4

Hulu quit working. In the process of re-installing the fixes listed on this site, I am receiving the following errors...

After typing mount -o remount,rw /
    No Errors
    After typing cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins
    No Errors
    After typing cp libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.bak
    Following Error cp: can't stat 'libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory
    After Typing sed -i 's/WEB 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so
    Following Error sed: libflashplayer.so: No such file or directory

My touchpad is in developer mode and I am entering the commands through the Linux command line function of WebOS Quickinstall.

Any thoughts from someone smarter than me would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeist View Post
    After successfully using the Hulu patch for the last week, it has quit working. My device asked me if I wanted to auto-download the newest OS update the other day, I said yep.

I am currently running HP webOS 3.0.4

Hulu quit working. In the process of re-installing the fixes listed on this site, I am receiving the following errors...

After typing mount -o remount,rw /
    No Errors
    After typing cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins
    No Errors
    After typing cp libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.bak
    Following Error cp: can't stat 'libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory
    After Typing sed -i 's/WEB 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so
    Following Error sed: libflashplayer.so: No such file or directory

My touchpad is in developer mode and I am entering the commands through the Linux command line function of WebOS Quickinstall.

Any thoughts from someone smarter than me would be appreciated.
    @Cgeist, look at the bottom of page 5 for updated instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I'm seeing it as well, others reported seeing it yesterday before it happened to me.
    Thanks, I missed that when I read through the thread.
    Note, after playing with this, the app catalog will launch with the user agent changed but isn't quite right. I saw a number of apparent test apps which shouldn't have shown up, was able to load free apps but not paid or use a promo code both of which generated an error. Uninstalling the user agent change set it right and working now.
    That is what I did to get the app catalog back just now. Went into Xecutah and ran change-user-agent uninstall. Once reboot the catalog is back to normal. Just in time because I just posted 4 new free app codes posted on Facebook Touchpad site.
  11.    #111  
    Ok guys, the fix is actually easier than you'd think. Yes they moved it to cryptofs but thats because Flash is now an individual app instead of a part of the OS. That way Adobe could release updates without them having to release an OS update. Not a bad move. The bad part is that moving it there, the flashplayer will now only run if its signed hence, why if you modify the file, it will not run because it doesn't match the signature.

But fear not.... It doesn't actually HAVE to be there.

Here is what I did.

1) mount –o remount,rw /
    2) mount –o remount,rw /media/cryptofs
    3) cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    4) cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    5) mv libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.old
    6) mv libflashplayer.so.sig libflashplayer.so.sig.old
    7) cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins
    8) sed -i 's/WEB 10/LNX 10/' libflashplayer.so
    9) re-run useragent patch
    9) mount –o remount,ro /
    10) mount –o remount,ro /media/cryptofs

Also note, I prefer a slightly different user agent string though thats a bit more true to what the device and web engine is. Not sure if it really has much of an effect on actual rendering of pages but I use the following:

# these are for webOS 3.0.4.77
    OLD_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (%s; Linux; %s/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/234.76 Safari/534.6 %s/%s'
    NEW_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/12.0 Safari/534.6'

Also once you do this, note you will have to repeat if any flash updates are downloaded though software update manager because it will reinstall to the cryptofs location. Unless they release an update disabling loading plugins from the old location, it should continue to work.
    HAH! I spent all morning working on this and was just coming round to post a solution - and here you are with it step-by-step. I started thinking - I wonder if I could just move the file and avoid the whole libflashplayer.so.sig problem, and, poof!

Now you not only beat me to the punch, but also drop an improved user agent patch that doesn't need a reboot to apply. Awesome man .

Nice work raymckay. Hope my efforts were of some use to you.

I'll update the original post to reflect the new fix (or at least point it toward the correct post).
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  12.    #112  
    Ohh, one thing I forgot, I have also replaced the reboot with

/usr/bin/pkill BrowserServer$ || do_error "Browser reload failed"

With this no reboot is required after applying. My version of the script is attached. I have not merged the flash stuff into this so this is still just useragent only and the flash steps still need to be followed.
    This file doesn't seem to function for me. Can you recheck it on your end? Anyone else having trouble?

The idea is sound, but for some reason I cannot run this file whatsoever.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I was unable to run the new script OR the old script. Just kept saying that it wasn't found, even when I would do a "ls" and SEE it, what am I messing up?
    Check out Paper Basketball Plus! A toss it / paper toss style game with achievements, timed mode, moving targets and more! Buy 1 app, use it on pixi / veer / pre / touchpad all in full resolution! It's neat. I swear. For reals.

http://bit.ly/moZYOq
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    I was unable to run the new script OR the old script. Just kept saying that it wasn't found, even when I would do a "ls" and SEE it, what am I messing up?
    Are you talking about the user-agent-change? If your talking about that file, try rebooting the touchpad after moving the file into the TP and see if you can run it .

Oh, btw, I can report that hulu appears to work remarkably better in 3.0.4 - flash is very much improved!

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Yup. The hulu-fix file is the NEW user agent change right?
    Well i just re-tried the change-user-agent file and it ran, but failed on an unknown version (which makes sense) so i'm going to try and see what might be making the hulu-fix file un-runnable for me.
    Check out Paper Basketball Plus! A toss it / paper toss style game with achievements, timed mode, moving targets and more! Buy 1 app, use it on pixi / veer / pre / touchpad all in full resolution! It's neat. I swear. For reals.

If you are in /media/internal and trying to run the script by just typing it's name that won't work since it's not in your search path. Did you specify the full path of
    /media/internal/change-user-agent as shown in the first post? Or alternatively if you are in /media/internal and that's where the script is you could just type ./change-user-agent instead.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I WAS able to get "change-user-agent" to run, but fails at a version check (which I assume it should, and that the hulu-fix file is the NEW version of "change-user-agent" correct?)

But I can't get hulu-fix to be found. I have tried.
    1. /media/internal/hulu-fix
    2. navigating TO /media/internal and THEN trying /media/internal/hlu-fix
    3. navigating to /media/internal and then trying just hulu-fix

Then I tried to rename it to "hulufix" incase the "-" was messing with it.

No dice

I WAS able to get "change-user-agent" to run, but fails at a version check (which I assume it should, and that the hulu-fix file is the NEW version of "change-user-agent" correct?)

No dice
    Oh, sorry, thought you were talking about the change user agent script. I didn't use the hulu-fix script so not sure about that. If the path is right, then check and make sure the file has execute permissions set, if that's not it maybe the script itself is generating an error.
  19.    #119  

No dice
    Try this post here:

http://forums.precentral.net/3213355-post99.html

That's my updated 3.0.4 user-agent-change file. For some reason the hulu-fix file isnt working (no idea why). Use my file - it works. You still need to perform the other changes to the libflashplayer.so file manually.

20.    #120  
    UPDATED FOR 3.0.4 - full instructions to set up HULU

WARNING: Installing this patch -will- break your app catalog in oddball ways. You can easily uninstall the user-agent patch using the instructions given below, and that will bring back full app-catalog functionality (so basically, you either have Hulu or App Catalog at any given time - changing between the two is simple and fast).

As posted by raymackay (and edited a bit to add some specific instructions for our newer members):

Please remember that this is an advanced fix using a terminal connection to a linux command line. You are doing this at your own risk. It is a simple process, but if you are at all unsure of your ability to follow these instructions -exactly- please do not attempt this unless you want to visit the webOS doctor.

Step 1: ensure you are in DEV MODE. If you don't know how to do this, check my post here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html

Go into webOS quick install on your home pc - you can find it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

Run the program, select the TOOLS tab, and pick LINUX COMMANDLINE. Make sure your browser is closed on the touchpad.

You should now be in a terminal at a command line looking at your touchpad . Now, type the following lines EXACTLY!!!

1) mount –o remount,rw /
    2) mount –o remount,rw /media/cryptofs
    3) cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    4) cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    5) mv libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.old
    6) mv libflashplayer.so.sig libflashplayer.so.sig.old
    7) cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins
    8) sed -i 's/WEB 10/LNX 10/' libflashplayer.so
    9) mount –o remount,ro /
    10) mount –o remount,ro /media/cryptofs

Allright, you all still with me? What we just did is changed the flash player identifier to say LNX (identifying us as a desktop linux machine). Now we just need to change our user agent.

Go to this link and download the change-user-agent patch (DO NOT USE THE ONE ATTACHED TO THIS POST, THAT IS FOR 3.0.2):
    http://forums.precentral.net/3213355-post99.html
    If you use this patch, in the next instructions you'll just have to change what you type to reflect the new filename (in this case, change-user-agent instead of hulu-fix)

Step one: Download the file attached to that post (NOT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST) and EXTRACT it to an easy to find spot (like your desktop).
    Step two: "send" this file (tools > send file) using webosquickinstall to /media/internal
    Step three: open a linux command line (tools > linux commandline) in webosquickinstall
    Step four: type this exactly into the terminal window:

/media/internal/change-user-agent

The device will change the user agent and reboot. Be patient, it takes about a minute to finish everything up and boot back into webOS.

TADA, HULU works once more!

If it's still not working (black screen on videos) you need to remove any adblocking patches you have (adblock or max blocker), delete cache/history/cookies in the browser, and reboot the touchpad one last time. Now Hulu will work.

When or if you ever want to uninstall the user agent patch, you simple go back to a linux command line again (in webosquickinstall) and type:

/media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall.

This will reboot the touchpad and when it comes back online, hulu will be broken and the app catalog will work again. Again, this takes about one minute.

Also once you do this, note you will have to repeat if any flash updates are downloaded though software update manager because it will reinstall to the cryptofs location. Unless they release an update disabling loading plugins from the old location, it should continue to work.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 10/20/2011 at 10:16 PM.

AndrewRich likes this.