Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I don't think anyone knows. Almost nobody has 3.0.3. It's a simple thing to do and undo if you follow ncinerates instructions, specifically make a backup copy first, then do the sed command and restore the backup copy if needed. I personally have an unmodified copy (libflashplayer.so.orig) and a modified copy (libflashplayer.so.mod), I just copy the one I want to libflashplayer.so, quick & easy, no fuss no muss.

So if it were me I'd try modifiying /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so first & see if it works then /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.flashplugin-001/data/libflashplayer.so if not. They should be the same but without verifying they're identical I'd make backups of each. Or you can just change them both right off the bat, what's the harm? Again just make unmodified backup copies and you can easily revert if needed. And that's just a failsafe really because you technically should be able to back it out with sed but good to have a failsafe in case something goes wrong, fat fingers etc, I like a safety net. Good luck.
    Thanks for your reply.

What I need help on at this point is the formatting of the command...

sed -i 's/WEB 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so

My user agent is:

Mozilla/5.0 (hp-tablet; Linux; hpwOS/3.0.3; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) wOSBrowser/234.75 Safari/534.6 TouchPad/1.0

So in 3.0.3 there isn't any "WEB" to replace with "WIN" in the user agent string as far as I can see. So the command for 3.0.3 seems like it would be different, maybe:

sed -i 's/Linux 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so

What I'd like to know now is what the user agent string looks like on 3.0.2...if you or someone would google "user agent" a click on one of the links and then post the user agent string then I can see how it's formatted and make the appropriate changes in the sed command.

Make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

What I need help on at this point is the formatting of the command...

sed -i 's/WEB 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so

My user agent is:

Mozilla/5.0 (hp-tablet; Linux; hpwOS/3.0.3; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) wOSBrowser/234.75 Safari/534.6 TouchPad/1.0

So in 3.0.3 there isn't any "WEB" to replace with "WIN" in the user agent string as far as I can see. So the command for 3.0.3 seems like it would be different, maybe:

sed -i 's/Linux 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so

What I'd like to know now is what the user agent string looks like on 3.0.2...if you or someone would google "user agent" a click on one of the links and then post the user agent string then I can see how it's formatted and make the appropriate changes in the sed command.

Make sense?
    You're making it harder than it really is. I suggest you re-read the original "new hulu fix" post and my comments until you're comfortable. The sed command as you might suspect just patches the flash string from WEB to WIN same as the original hulu patch as I understand it. Changing the user agent is NOT required at this time for IMDB, so near as I can tell, that original sed command is ALL that is currently required. It's different for hulu directly and I'll defer to ncinerate if you want to try that. If it were me I'd settle for getting imdb to work right now. 3.0.4 should be out soon and all patches etc will be retooled for that so suggest doing the minimum for now.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    You're making it harder than it really is. I suggest you re-read the original "new hulu fix" post and my comments until you're comfortable. The sed command as you might suspect just patches the flash string from WEB to WIN same as the original hulu patch as I understand it. Changing the user agent is NOT required at this time for IMDB, so near as I can tell, that original sed command is ALL that is currently required. It's different for hulu directly and I'll defer to ncinerate if you want to try that. If it were me I'd settle for getting imdb to work right now. 3.0.4 should be out soon and all patches etc will be retooled for that so suggest doing the minimum for now.
    OK, thanks, I think it's clear now...and to clarify what I was saying, I know I don't need to complete both steps to use IMDB, I just want to do the first sed command.

My confusion was because I thought that the user agent string I got on the TP would include the "WEB" string that the sed command changes. Since I didn't see "WEB" anywhere in my user agent string, I thought it meant that something in the lib file was different in 3.0.3.

Just for my own interest/info, can you post the user agent string you get on 3.0.2?

Running sed command on the lib in the first folder didn't work - videos won't even try to load on IMDB, and getting "You must upgrade your Adobe Flash player" on Youtube. Off to backup/sed the other file, and then revert if doesn't work that way either. I did reboot after making the change...
    Last edited by Redflea; 10/11/2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Reverted sed command on libflashplayer.so in first directory (/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/) to see if just patching the second one (/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.flashplugin-001/data/) worked.

Fail - back to "Unfortunately Hulu is not supported on your platform" message w/just the second lib file modified.

So, trying to play videos from IMDB on 3.0.3:

1. libflashplayer.so in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/ modified - fails.
    2. libflashplayer.so in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.flashplugin-001/data/ modified - fails.
    3. libflashplayer.so in both folders modified - fails.

ncinerate, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears (and linux command lines... )
    Last edited by Redflea; 10/11/2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Is there another libflashplayer.so hiding somewhere? Maybe you need to let the search finish if you didn't? Not sure.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Is there another libflashplayer.so hiding somewhere? Maybe you need to let the search finish if you didn't? Not sure.
    Thanks...I'll run it again, but I'm pretty sure it was finished last time, the command prompt returned.

But - user error is the most common cause of wars, breakups, and technical problems, so I'll run it again.

Yup - ran again, and no other libflashplayer.so instances. Copied one from the other directory to the /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins directory (where it wasn't present) and ran the sed against it, rebooted and tried the IMDB video again...still won't play - device unsupported.
    Last edited by Redflea; 10/11/2011 at 04:59 PM.
    I'm not sure what else to try, but will let you know if I think of anything.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what else to try, but will let you know if I think of anything.
    Thanks...this sure is a stubborn bugger.
    Thanks...this sure is a stubborn bugger.
    Out of curiosity, after making the sed changes, what does the "Find Flash Player version" page report your flash player version string to be? After the edit it's WIN on my touchpad as I mentioned earlier. It's LNX on my ubuntu laptop, which I'm currently typing on. To my way of thinking if yours is WIN as well then it should work but maybe I'm missing something.
  10.    #90  
    Reverted sed command on libflashplayer.so in first directory (/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/) to see if just patching the second one (/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.flashplugin-001/data/) worked.

Fail - back to "Unfortunately Hulu is not supported on your platform" message w/just the second lib file modified.

So, trying to play videos from IMDB on 3.0.3:

1. libflashplayer.so in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/ modified - fails.
    2. libflashplayer.so in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.flashplugin-001/data/ modified - fails.
    3. libflashplayer.so in both folders modified - fails.

ncinerate, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears (and linux command lines... )
    My suggestion is to try making those changes - then checking the "whats my flash version" site here:

Find Flash Player version

If the change you're doing to those files is working, then it will be reflected there. Instead of saying WEB, it will say WIN or LNX (depending on what you changed it to).

If it's still saying WEB, that means they are populating that field from a file you are not editing, simple as that. It's just a matter of figuring out which file they are working with and changing the string.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Looks like overnight imdb unfortunately got the latest hulu code release, now acting just like going direct to hulu, at least for me, Figured it was just a matter of time. Even worse there's something wrong with the advertisement feed. Fully patched, with any ad blocking, the test movie never comes up at imdb although it will at hulu. So, at least for me, as of this morning, hulu is working better than imdb.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Omigod it works!

Thanks muchly, guys. I was disappointed to see Hulu as a heavily-advertised feature of the Touchpad, only to have it apparently turned off once I actually have it.

Does anyone know why the screen flips 180 degrees after the video starts, though?

EDIT: Why is it that the glorified alarm-clock Sony Dash is able to get Netflix working on it but not the Touchpad?
    Last edited by Aganar; 10/15/2011 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    Omigod it works!

Thanks muchly, guys. I was disappointed to see Hulu as a heavily-advertised feature of the Touchpad, only to have it apparently turned off once I actually have it.
    Advertised? I never saw an advertisement like that. Or do you mean the forums?

Does anyone know why the screen flips 180 degrees after the video starts, though?
    Mine doesn't do that. Are your speakers facing up or down? With the HP case mine are facing down and it doesn't flip on me.

EDIT: Why is it that the glorified alarm-clock Sony Dash is able to get Netflix working on it but not the Touchpad?
    The reason it's not working for the touchpad is that stupid greedy hulu is going out of their way to block it, not sure why it works on the sony as I know nothing about it.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Anyone know if the update today (probably the last ever) breaks this? I downloaded it automatically, but am not clicking install until Iím sure it doesnít break hulu.
    At least for me, these steps do not work on version 3.0.4. When running this command "cp libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.bak" I receive the error " cp: can't stat 'libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory."
    This is my first attempt at applying the fix. The only files listed in that directory are EmailAdapter.so and Geolocation.so. I searched the /usr directory and subdirectories and only the flashplugin.ipk was listed. I also searched from the root. Same results.
    Luckily, this is the only issue I am having after the 3.0.4 update.
    Last edited by digital_being; 10/18/2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I can confirm that if you had the Hulu fix before installing 3.0.4, it will not work after the update. Suppose that gives me some time to look through the App catalog again, though.
  17.    #97  
    I can confirm that if you had the Hulu fix before installing 3.0.4, it will not work after the update. Suppose that gives me some time to look through the App catalog again, though.
    Yes, hulu fix does NOT work in 3.0.4. The user agent has been changed and thus the user-agent patch doesnt work. I can fix this fairly easily but what makes things more complicated is HP moved the libflashplayer.so file (or replaced it with something else). So basically, it's populating the WEB 10 string that hulu blocks, and I haven't taken the time to find the new file yet.

Give it a couple days and I should have a new fix up, unless someone else can tell us all where the libflashplayer.so file went (or alternatively, which file is populating the WEB 10 in flash player version).

Once it -has- been found and edited, hulu should work considerably better than 3.0.2 - flash is remarkably better in 3.0.4.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Yes, hulu fix does NOT work in 3.0.4. The user agent has been changed and thus the user-agent patch doesnt work. I can fix this fairly easily but what makes things more complicated is HP moved the libflashplayer.so file (or replaced it with something else). So basically, it's populating the WEB 10 string that hulu blocks, and I haven't taken the time to find the new file yet.

Give it a couple days and I should have a new fix up, unless someone else can tell us all where the libflashplayer.so file went (or alternatively, which file is populating the WEB 10 in flash player version).

Once it -has- been found and edited, hulu should work considerably better than 3.0.2 - flash is remarkably better in 3.0.4.
    I hope you're right but don't have a good feeling about this. Editing /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so changes the behavior but not in a good way. Whether I change it to WIN or LNX, the result in both cases is the test page says I need a newer version of flash to display the test. My take is this is the right file but the edit isn't working now. Tell me I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong.
  19.    #99  
    I hope you're right but don't have a good feeling about this. Editing /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so changes the behavior but not in a good way. Whether I change it to WIN or LNX, the result in both cases is the test page says I need a newer version of flash to display the test. My take is this is the right file but the edit isn't working now. Tell me I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong.
    Yeah, early investigation is showing the same thing. Not sure why it's borking things up .

I'll fiddle with it more - it should still be a simple change that solves this. In the meantime, here's an updated change-user-agent patch. This won't fix hulu, but may help with someone investigating things. Don't use this patch unless you know what you're doing and are investigating hulu. Again, this patch WILL NOT FIX HULU. This fix would be required to fix hulu at the hulu site, but you also need to figure out how to change the WEB to WIN or LNX in the flash player .so file because hulu also checks for that.

Anyway, hope that file helps. I'll fiddle with everything more later.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Yeah, early investigation is showing the same thing. Not sure why it's borking things up .

I'll fiddle with it more - it should still be a simple change that solves this. In the meantime, here's an updated change-user-agent patch. This won't fix hulu, but may help with someone investigating things. Don't use this patch unless you know what you're doing and are investigating hulu. Again, this patch WILL NOT FIX HULU. This fix would be required to fix hulu at the hulu site, but you also need to figure out how to change the WEB to WIN or LNX in the flash player .so file because hulu also checks for that.

Anyway, hope that file helps. I'll fiddle with everything more later.
    Ok guys, the fix is actually easier than you'd think. Yes they moved it to cryptofs but thats because Flash is now an individual app instead of a part of the OS. That way Adobe could release updates without them having to release an OS update. Not a bad move. The bad part is that moving it there, the flashplayer will now only run if its signed hence, why if you modify the file, it will not run because it doesn't match the signature.

But fear not.... It doesn't actually HAVE to be there.

Here is what I did.

1) mount –o remount,rw /
    2) mount –o remount,rw /media/cryptofs
    3) cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    4) cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    5) mv libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.old
    6) mv libflashplayer.so.sig libflashplayer.so.sig.old
    7) cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins
    8) sed -i 's/WEB 10/LNX 10/' libflashplayer.so
    9) re-run useragent patch
    9) mount –o remount,ro /
    10) mount –o remount,ro /media/cryptofs

An interesting note. The HP app catalog no longer seems to use the user agent string. This means you can set it and forget it and the app catalog appears to continue to work.

Also note, I prefer a slightly different user agent string though thats a bit more true to what the device and web engine is. Not sure if it really has much of an effect on actual rendering of pages but I use the following:

# these are for webOS 3.0.4.77
    OLD_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (%s; Linux; %s/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/234.76 Safari/534.6 %s/%s'
    NEW_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/12.0 Safari/534.6'

Also once you do this, note you will have to repeat if any flash updates are downloaded though software update manager because it will reinstall to the cryptofs location. Unless they release an update disabling loading plugins from the old location, it should continue to work.
    AndrewRich likes this.
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast