Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
    Gentlemen,

Attached is an updated version of the script for webOS 3.0.5 that patches the broswer ID to work with HULU. Follow other instructions for installing and running/uninstalling.

This patch kept original content and commented out the 3.0.4 version of code. Added 3.0.5 block above.

Thanks to both LedZepman and ncinerate for this work. Life saver.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    shryx86, daffy4u and paulm64 like this.
  2.    #342  
    Thanks for that mcniela. I'll edit the initial post for the new patch file location. I'd have gotten around to it but I'm stupid busy today. Appreciate the assist .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  3. svp
    Quote Originally Posted by ledzepman71 View Post
    new thread working: slingplayer on the Touchpad! (through facebook of all things) . Svp, idk how else to do it besides the facebook app. I have tried everything else and the fb app is the only way I know of, so if you really want the ability to sling it may be worth making a bogus account. Cheers.
    That's record-breaking cool to learn! I'll try it. Before I do, two quick questions:
    1. Where is the FB/Slingbox button in the FB app? Can you describe how to get it connected to my Slingbox? As in where the interface is to call up the Slingbox?
    2. Will this work with the Classic Slingbox (to your knowledge)?
    Thank you much!
    I was so distraught when the WebOs update loaded yesterday and it broke the Hulu patch. I had only just gotten it working and enjoyed my first movie on it yesterday! So I can freely admit that I love you and your fellow techno-magicians, sir. Thanks.
  5. MVP
    Thanks again to all who got this to work!!!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    OK, i installed the xecutah, xserver, xterm combo.
    Copied the hulu file over, and
    went to run it, and it says it will break the HP App Catalog?
    Im a little confused i had the 3.0.4. version and i followed the ncinerate patch and it worked (thank you )
    but i uploaded the new version and it does not work anymore

i tried to replace the patch and it says not available

any help ?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muerte33 View Post
    OK, i installed the xecutah, xserver, xterm combo.
    Copied the hulu file over, and
    went to run it, and it says it will break the HP App Catalog?
    I got the refreshing browser on sites like www.webosnation.com once I installed this patch.
    It just kept reloading the site over and over.
    I had to do the uninstall and now it works again.
  9.    #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammy77211 View Post
    Im a little confused i had the 3.0.4. version and i followed the ncinerate patch and it worked (thank you )
    but i uploaded the new version and it does not work anymore

i tried to replace the patch and it says not available

any help ?
    I am attempting to decode what you are saying here.

It appears you are saying you had Hulu on 3.0.4, but upgraded to 3.0.5 and hulu is broken again. Now you are attempting to find a new patch in order to re-enable hulu.

Look a couple posts above yours and you will see a patch file intended for 3.0.5 here:
    The -NEW- HULU fix!

Unzip that file to your touchpad and follow the normal directions in the link below in my signature line and you're golden.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  10.    #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by muerte33 View Post
    I got the refreshing browser on sites like www.webosnation.com once I installed this patch.
    It just kept reloading the site over and over.
    I had to do the uninstall and now it works again.
    I'm not experiencing this and nobody else has reported such an issue. Did you install the latest 3.0.5 patch and reboot the touchpad after install?

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I don't think I waited long enough for the patch to complete. I thought when I first ran 'hulu' and the comments came up I had a chance to abort, which I did.
    when I ran 'hulu uninstall' I saw it failed on 2 files, but all is normal again.
    weird thing is it broke both the built in browser and advanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcniela View Post
    Gentlemen,

Attached is an updated version of the script for webOS 3.0.5 that patches the broswer ID to work with HULU. Follow other instructions for installing and running/uninstalling.

This patch kept original content and commented out the 3.0.4 version of code. Added 3.0.5 block above.

Thanks to both LedZepman and ncinerate for this work. Life saver.
    I would love to get it on the Pre 3 as well ...any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    UPDATED FOR 3.0.5!

READ THIS FIRST!!!!!!
    This post is outdated - the new instructions to do this are out (reasonably fool-proof).

You can find it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/3218146-post139.html

and the 3.0.5 version of the patch is here:

The -NEW- HULU fix!

I will leave the manual instructions below for basic reference, but I highly suggest you use the automated patch.

WARNING: Installing this patch -will- break your app catalog in oddball ways. You can easily uninstall the user-agent patch using the instructions given below, and that will bring back full app-catalog functionality (so basically, you either have Hulu or App Catalog at any given time - changing between the two is simple and fast).

As posted by raymackay (and edited a bit to add some specific instructions for our newer members):

Please remember that this is an advanced fix using a terminal connection to a linux command line. You are doing this at your own risk. It is a simple process, but if you are at all unsure of your ability to follow these instructions -exactly- please do not attempt this unless you want to visit the webOS doctor.

Step 1: ensure you are in DEV MODE. If you don't know how to do this, check my post here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html

Go into webOS quick install on your home pc - you can find it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

Run the program, select the TOOLS tab, and pick LINUX COMMANDLINE. Make sure your browser is closed on the touchpad.

You should now be in a terminal at a command line looking at your touchpad . Now, type the following lines EXACTLY!!!

1) mount ľo remount,rw /
    2) mount ľo remount,rw /media/cryptofs
    3) cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    4) cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    5) mv libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.old
    6) mv libflashplayer.so.sig libflashplayer.so.sig.old
    7) cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins
    8) sed -i 's/WEB 10/LNX 10/' libflashplayer.so
    9) mount ľo remount,ro /
    10) mount ľo remount,ro /media/cryptofs

Allright, you all still with me? What we just did is changed the flash player identifier to say LNX (identifying us as a desktop linux machine). Now we just need to change our user agent.

Go to this link and download the change-user-agent patch (DO NOT USE THE ONE ATTACHED TO THIS POST, THAT IS FOR 3.0.2):
    http://forums.precentral.net/3213355-post99.html
    If you use this patch, in the next instructions you'll just have to change what you type to reflect the new filename (in this case, change-user-agent instead of hulu-fix)

Step one: Download the file attached to that post (NOT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST) and EXTRACT it to an easy to find spot (like your desktop).
    Step two: "send" this file (tools > send file) using webosquickinstall to /media/internal
    Step three: open a linux command line (tools > linux commandline) in webosquickinstall
    Step four: type this exactly into the terminal window:

/media/internal/change-user-agent

The device will change the user agent and reboot the touchpad. Be patient, this takes about one minute.

TADA, HULU works once more!

If it's still not working (black screen on videos) you need to remove any adblocking patches you have (adblock or max blocker), delete cache/history/cookies in the browser, and reboot the touchpad one last time. Now Hulu will work.

When or if you ever want to uninstall the user agent patch, you simple go back to a linux command line again (in webosquickinstall) and type:

/media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall.

This will break hulu and fix your app catalog. Be patient again, it'll take about one minute before everything's back up and running.

Also once you do this, note you will have to repeat if any flash updates are downloaded though software update manager because it will reinstall to the cryptofs location. Unless they release an update disabling loading plugins from the old location, it should continue to work.

Instructions for 3.0.2 - saved for any holdout users

BEFORE YOU DO THIS PLEASE NOTE - This process will break your ability to go to the HP app catalog. You can easily reverse this and/or reapply to enable either app catalog or HULU fix, but it's certainly not ideal. Uninstall instructions are at the bottom of this post to allow app catalog use.

Please remember that this is an advanced fix using a terminal connection to a linux command line. You are doing this at your own risk. It is a simple process, but if you are at all unsure of your ability to follow these instructions -exactly- please do not attempt this unless you want to visit the webOS doctor.

First, if you do not already have the HULU FIX patch from preware, get it. If it is no longer available, then you can manually perform this fix (this is necessary to change the libflashplayer.so file, one of the two things HULU checks for).

The next several steps assume you DON'T have the HULU FIX patch. If you already have this patch, skip this section and scroll down to the next BOLD text.

Step 1: ensure you are in DEV MODE. If you don't know how to do this, check my post here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html

Go into webOS quick install on your home pc - you can find it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

Run the program, select the TOOLS tab, and pick LINUX COMMANDLINE. Make sure your browser is closed on the touchpad.

You should now be in a terminal at a command line looking at your touchpad .

Now type or copy and paste the following lines into the terminal window. Hit enter after each line:

mount -o remount,rw /

cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins

cp libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.so.bak

sed -i 's/WEB 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so

Allright, you all still with me? Now we change our user agent.

I went ahead and edited an old patch to allow you to easily enable and disable hulu.

Step one: Download the file attached to this post and EXTRACT it to an easy to find spot (like your desktop).
    Step two: "send" this file (tools > send file) using webosquickinstall to /media/internal
    Step three: open a linux command line (tools > linux commandline) in webosquickinstall

/media/internal/change-user-agent

The device will change the agent and auto-reboot. Be patient, it'll take a minute or two for the device to patch and reboot.

TADA, HULU works once more!

If it's still not working (black screen on videos) you need to remove any adblocking patches you have (adblock or max blocker), delete cache/history/cookies in the browser, and reboot the touchpad one last time. Now Hulu will work.

When you want to uninstall it (so you can use app-catalog again), you simple go back to a linux command line again (in webosquickinstall) and type:

/media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall

TADA, app catalog works.

You can also, if you like, run these commands from inside the device using xterm (you'll have to install xecutah and xterm from preware to do this). You'll still have to move this file to your /media/internal first though - you can do that pretty simply by plugging the touchpad into the computer and going into USB STORAGE mode, then simply copying the change-user-agent file to the root directory (drag and drop, basically).
    for the Pre 3 2.2.4 please...
  14.    #354  
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    I would love to get it on the Pre 3 as well ...any ideas?
    I don't have a pre3 to actually fiddle with this on - BUT - I bet it's a fairly similar process.

Your best bet would be to modify the string in the patch file to match your pre3 user agent. Download the hulu fix file posted above, open it in notepad++ (if you dont have it, download notepad++, it's free and great for this). You can pretty easily see how the patch works - it's really not a complex beast. There is actually alot of code in there I never bothered to delete (old webos versions etc) - just focus on changing the very first two user-agent strings. You need them to be identical in length.

So, for example, lets break down how it works on the touchpad. For starters, I go to whatsmyuseragent.com

It says my user agent is:
    Mozilla/5.0 (hp-tablet; Linux; hpwOS/3.0.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) wOSBrowser/234.83 Safari/534.6 TouchPad/1.0

Now lets look inside the Hulu fix patch file and see what it says:
    OLD_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (%s; Linux; %s/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/234.83 Safari/534.6 %s/%s'

Now study those two strings (the stuff inbetween the ' and the ', from Mozilla to the %s at the end). They are both saying the exact SAME thing, it's just that some of those fields are being auto-populated. Basically, the %s code is telling the string to auto-populate the fields with info. Now lets look at the user-agent we are substituting:

NEW_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1.1; U; en) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) xp/234.76 Safari/535.2 01/07'

Notice it's EXACTLY as long as the OLD_UA string from our Hulu patch file. We've replaced those auto-filled spots with a string that pretends to be a Windows NT machine.

So basically what you need to do is figure out what your user agent is for the Pre 3, and input it into the OLD_UA slot in the hulu patch file - in the format given above (with the %s codes where applicable), then replace it with an identical-length string (this may mean you may have to change the windows NT string to match the length of your pre3 string). Once that's done, theoretically, you should be able to upload the patch and install it on your pre 3... Assuming the flash player file is in the same place on the drive (I imagine it is, as it has much in common with the touchpad).

It MAY be more complex than this because I think on the Pre 3 that the flashplayer file which ALSO needs to be modified isn't in the same place as it is on the touchpad. We can figure this out though pretty easily. Terminal into your device with webOS quick install or xserver/xterm and try and find the libflashplayer.so file. Try typing:

cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins
    ls

Do you see libflashplayer.so? Did it give you an error and say that whole directory doesn't even exist? Ok, then try this:

ls

do you see libflashplayer.so? If you see it here, the original patch -will not work- in it's current form. You'll need to edit the patch further. Go down to where the patch file is actually editing the libflashplayer.so file. You'll see that on the touchpad it has to copy the file from the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins to /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins before it can do it's magic. Remove these three lines:
    cp /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    mv /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.old
    mv /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.sig /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.sig.old

Now save the patch and it should theoretically work.

I can probably help you with all of this if you can give me your pre3 user agent and do a quick poke-around on your phone to check for the flash player file. Hell, I could give you the terminal commands to just do the fix right there, no patch required. I just need to know the user agent and the location of your flash file.

In fact, just for giggles I just tested the previous steps with my sprint frankenpre2 and I'm now watching the Alcatraz pilot on HULU on my pre2 . Had to load it up from the IMDB website (the hulu website is a bit too heavy - was lagging everything down too nastily). Framerate is a little choppy but it's actually totally watchable - hilarious.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 01/18/2012 at 12:37 AM.

I don't have a pre3 to actually fiddle with this on - BUT - I bet it's a fairly similar process.

Your best bet would be to modify the string in the patch file to match your pre3 user agent. Download the hulu fix file posted above, open it in notepad++ (if you dont have it, download notepad++, it's free and great for this). You can pretty easily see how the patch works - it's really not a complex beast. There is actually alot of code in there I never bothered to delete (old webos versions etc) - just focus on changing the very first two user-agent strings. You need them to be identical in length.

So, for example, lets break down how it works on the touchpad. For starters, I go to whatsmyuseragent.com

It says my user agent is:
    Mozilla/5.0 (hp-tablet; Linux; hpwOS/3.0.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) wOSBrowser/234.83 Safari/534.6 TouchPad/1.0

Now lets look inside the Hulu fix patch file and see what it says:
    OLD_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (%s; Linux; %s/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/234.83 Safari/534.6 %s/%s'

Now study those two strings (the stuff inbetween the ' and the ', from Mozilla to the %s at the end). They are both saying the exact SAME thing, it's just that some of those fields are being auto-populated. Basically, the %s code is telling the string to auto-populate the fields with info. Now lets look at the user-agent we are substituting:

NEW_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1.1; U; en) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) xp/234.76 Safari/535.2 01/07'

Notice it's EXACTLY as long as the OLD_UA string from our Hulu patch file. We've replaced those auto-filled spots with a string that pretends to be a Windows NT machine.

So basically what you need to do is figure out what your user agent is for the Pre 3, and input it into the OLD_UA slot in the hulu patch file - in the format given above (with the %s codes where applicable), then replace it with an identical-length string (this may mean you may have to change the windows NT string to match the length of your pre3 string). Once that's done, theoretically, you should be able to upload the patch and install it on your pre 3... Assuming the flash player file is in the same place on the drive (I imagine it is, as it has much in common with the touchpad).

It MAY be more complex than this because I think on the Pre 3 that the flashplayer file which ALSO needs to be modified isn't in the same place as it is on the touchpad. We can figure this out though pretty easily. Terminal into your device with webOS quick install or xserver/xterm and try and find the libflashplayer.so file. Try typing:

cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins
    ls

Do you see libflashplayer.so? Did it give you an error and say that whole directory doesn't even exist? Ok, then try this:

ls

do you see libflashplayer.so? If you see it here, the original patch -will not work- in it's current form. You'll need to edit the patch further. Go down to where the patch file is actually editing the libflashplayer.so file. You'll see that on the touchpad it has to copy the file from the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins to /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins before it can do it's magic. Remove these three lines:
    cp /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/
    mv /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.old
    mv /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.sig /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.sig.old

Now save the patch and it should theoretically work.

I can probably help you with all of this if you can give me your pre3 user agent and do a quick poke-around on your phone to check for the flash player file. Hell, I could give you the terminal commands to just do the fix right there, no patch required. I just need to know the user agent and the location of your flash file.

In fact, just for giggles I just tested the previous steps with my sprint frankenpre2 and I'm now watching the Alcatraz pilot on HULU on my pre2 . Had to load it up from the IMDB website (the hulu website is a bit too heavy - was lagging everything down too nastily). Framerate is a little choppy but it's actually totally watchable - hilarious.
    libflashplayer.so is contained in cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins on my Pre3 2.2.4

useragent attached... screenshot from fone...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EDIT: The patch attached to this post is for 3.0.4. For 3.0.5, please use the patch file at the following link:
    The -NEW- HULU fix!

Once you have that file, follow the instructions below to install it.

Ok, after much annoyance and a couple webOS doctors, I think I FINALLY have an all-in-one fairly idiotproof patch... This patch is for webOS 3.0.4 -only- (I was doing some investigations into supporting 3.0.2 as well, but it is currently broken in this patch, do NOT use this patch on 3.0.2).

WARNING!!!!!! If you have already done this patching process manually, this patch MAY NOT WORK! You may break your flash player if you run this patch after having performed the manual work and require a visit to the webOS doctor! DO NOT RUN THIS PATCH UNLESS YOUR TOUCHPAD IS COMPLETELY BACK TO STOCK ON IT'S USER AGENT AND FLASH IDENTIFIER STRING.

Warning #2: This patch is designed for 3.0.4. DO NOT USE THIS PATCH WITH 3.0.2. This patch is designed for 3.0.4.

This is an ALPHA patch. It will likely throw an error or two but it should work. You should be able to run this patch and it will install the hulu user agent fix AND the flash fix without requiring a reboot. Again, this is an ALPHA patch and I am not responsible if you install it and it magically borks your touchpad. This will do nothing a webOS doctor won't fix, so gauge your willingness to test this patch on whether or not you'd be ok running a doctor if things go wrong.

To install:

Step one: Download the file attached to THIS post and EXTRACT (unzip) it to an easy to find spot (like your desktop).

OR: put the touchpad into USB mode and drag/drop this EXTRACTED file to your touchpad (that will automatically put it in the /media/internal directory)

OR: open a terminal window on the touchpad itself in xterm (you will need to install xecutah, xserver, and xterm from preware to do this).

/media/internal/hulu

The device will very likely pop an error or two (again this is an ALPHA patch), but it should finish up without any real trouble in under 30 seconds. There is NO reboot required.

TADA, HULU works once more! Your app catalog is now broken.

If it's still not working (black screen on videos) you need to remove any adblocking patches you have (adblock or max blocker), delete cache/history/cookies in the browser, and reboot the touchpad. Now Hulu will work.

When you want to fix your app catalog so you can download new programs, go back to the linux command line again (in webosquickinstall) and type:

/media/internal/hulu uninstall.

This will break hulu and fix your app catalog. It'll take 30 seconds or less to complete and you're back in business.

The patch will stay on the device, so you can easily flip back and forth from hulu installed and uninstalled.
    Help the latest patch is still not working for me. I have HP touchpad 3.0.5 build 86 I downloaded the hulu fix and uploaded to teh device using WEBos quick install and used the command line to execute the file /media/internal/hulu I even cleared cache, hisotry and rebooted. I still get "Sorry your device is not supported"
  17.    #357  
    Quote Originally Posted by stirnick View Post
    Help the latest patch is still not working for me. I have HP touchpad 3.0.5 build 86 I downloaded the hulu fix and uploaded to teh device using WEBos quick install and used the command line to execute the file /media/internal/hulu I even cleared cache, hisotry and rebooted. I still get "Sorry your device is not supported"
    Ok, I'll try and help.

Step 1: Start from the beginning. What did you do?

Step 2: What is your flash identifier currently showing? WEB or WIN or LNX?
    Find Flash Player version

Step 3: What is your user agent currently showing?
    What's My IP Address? Networking Tools & More

Works a treat AGAIN! Thanks much!!
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    ncinerate you must be the most patient person I've ever known
  20.    #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    ncinerate you must be the most patient person I've ever known
    I work at it .

It's a quality that's made me quite happy in life, helped me find and keep a beautiful wife, keeps me sane in the face of my 2 year old, and created remarkable success in my business endeavors.

I admit, sometimes I get a -little- annoyed, but I recognize everyone starts somewhere so I attempt to explain things a simply as possible to help them get through it. I like to think when I'm done helping someone with a computer-related issue, that they understand the how and why just a BIT better when I'm finished.

It's easy to forget that to most people today, computers may as well be powered by pixie magic. Most of these people grew up in a world of graphic interfaces, where devices are dirt cheap and just "work", where solutions come from the tap of a finger on a touchscreen. These people never saw the world I grew up in, filled with terminal windows, green-screen prompts, components more expensive than an average used automobile, dos, at&f modem initialization strings required to get the old beast dialing a local BBS @ 2800 baud so I could leave messages on fidonet to some east-coasters I liked to argue with from time to time, or play some tradewars.

Asking these people to understand hex editing or user agents or flash identifier strings is a tall order . I'm lucky enough to be able to talk them through a linux command-line install of a patch. I do what I can.

bigfootsvj likes this.