Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
  1. svp
    I don't know how to do a screen capture with my HP Touchpad. It's probably some really easy combination of external buttons. You know I'm sure...

So I'll just type what it says.

User Agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1.1; U; en) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) xp/234.76 Safari/535.2 01/07 and my IP Address...

Then I went to the other link, the info you request is:
    Find Flash Version: It says, WEB. Debug Player: No Operating System Linux 2.6.35- Video Capable Yes, Audio Capable Yes, Local File I/O Enabled Yes

That's what it says. I hope that means something to you.

Again, I'll need to fix it without the Doctor because the doctor can't install due to a known bug by Palm for Macs (and the Novacom drivers). Also the Doctor is approved for leopard and snow leopard versions of OSX, not the new Lion OSX 10.7+. SO that's that.

I've got Java 1.6 installed on my Mac 10.7.2.
    That part is okay. Doctor requires 1.5+.

One last thing, to quote Steve Jobs: The Palm folks told me to get the doctor by signing in to Palm at http://www.hpwebos.com/account > clicking on device > Downloading webosdoctor (from there).

This is the opposite of what I was told above, to get my webosdoctor download from the webos-internals.org link.

And HP is aware that www.hpplay.com no longer has a MAC version to get music into the device. Hopefully they'll bring back a download there for us Mac users (or how will we get music from our Macs to our Touchpads?).

Any advice welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by svp View Post
    I don't know how to do a screen capture with my HP Touchpad. It's probably some really easy combination of external buttons.
    For future reference, press power and home at the same time to do a screen capture. You'll find the results in /media/internal/screencaptures/
  3.    #243  
    I don't know how to do a screen capture with my HP Touchpad. It's probably some really easy combination of external buttons. You know I'm sure...

So I'll just type what it says.

User Agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1.1; U; en) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) xp/234.76 Safari/535.2 01/07 and my IP Address...

Then I went to the other link, the info you request is:
    Find Flash Version: It says, WEB. Debug Player: No Operating System Linux 2.6.35- Video Capable Yes, Audio Capable Yes, Local File I/O Enabled Yes

That's what it says. I hope that means something to you.
    Ok, this says some things!

For starters - your flash player is showing WEB, which means it is UNPATCHED, but your user agent is showing a WINDOWS user agent, which -IS- patched.

This is unusual, and shouldn't be able to happen. I have -no- idea how this occurred.

No problem though, we should be able to fix this right up. Your flash works on your touchpad, right?

Ok - download the file here:

https://www.box.com/s/p0hmvjsg5x2rpafb2ud5

Now put the touchpad in USB mode and drag/drop the file into the touchpad.

Now get out of usb mode and load up xterm on the touchpad. (you need xecutah, xserver, and xterm installed from preware).

Once your staring at a green-screen terminal, type:

/media/internal/fix

When it finishes up, reboot your touchpad manually.

This will reverse your user agent from windows back to HP touchpad stock. This SHOULD allow your app catalog to work again, and effectively restore your touchpad to -stock- so you can apply the hulu fix again if you feel so inclined.

You MAY need to reboot your touchpad after you run this patch as I said above before everything will work.

If you decide to re-apply the hulu patch, once you are properly back to normal, go to the link in my signature (below this sentence), download the hulu patch, unzip it, drag/drop it to your touchpad in USB mode, then go into xterm and type /media/internal/hulu

Done.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  4. svp
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    For future reference, press power and home at the same time to do a screen capture. You'll find the results in /media/internal/screencaptures/
    cool, thanks
  5. svp
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Ok, this says some things!

For starters - your flash player is showing WEB, which means it is UNPATCHED, but your user agent is showing a WINDOWS user agent, which -IS- patched.

This is unusual, and shouldn't be able to happen. I have -no- idea how this occurred.

No problem though, we should be able to fix this right up. Your flash works on your touchpad, right?

Now get out of usb mode and load up xterm on the touchpad. (you need xecutah, xserver, and xterm installed from preware).

Once your staring at a green-screen terminal, type:

/media/internal/fix

When it finishes up, reboot your touchpad manually.

This will reverse your user agent from windows back to HP touchpad stock. This SHOULD allow your app catalog to work again, and effectively restore your touchpad to -stock- so you can apply the hulu fix again if you feel so inclined.

You MAY need to reboot your touchpad after you run this patch as I said above before everything will work.

If you decide to re-apply the hulu patch, once you are properly back to normal, go to the link in my signature (below this sentence), download the hulu patch, unzip it, drag/drop it to your touchpad in USB mode, then go into xterm and type /media/internal/hulu

Done.
    I'm working on it now...stay tuned
    Connected via USB...
    Dropped 'Fix' to Touchpad

ROADBLOCK: Your concept was sound BUT...

I don't have xterm and (to my knowledge) can't get xterm without being in Preware mode. To do that I'll need to connect the Webosdoctor right? Get it in Developers mode and get Preware, then get xterm.

Any ideas? Or am I screwed until the webosdoctor update?

Funny thing too. I had installed developers mode, preware and all those x-programmes you mentioned. Then at some point it was doctored and reset and I lost all access to developers, preware and all those preware apps. I don't know if I have preware patches still or not. I lost the order my apps/downloads were in (and that was not fun to get in order originally). I lost both hulu and access to the store as well.

Man oh man... "and she'll have fun, fun, fun till her daddy takes her T-Bird away". (Beach Boys)
    Last edited by svp; 11/29/2011 at 03:08 PM.
    you can connect your pad to mac and use webos quick install command line instead of xterm.
    after you get it fixed, my suggestion is to not mess with this again--start out like a newbie and take things slow--no patches outside of preware AT ALL incl HULU patch, no xterm AT ALL , no command line AT ALL.

oh and after you take a breather consider trying to get the drivers fixed on your mac so webos doctor works if you need it.

ps in command line make sure you type perfectly before you press enter. Very impt so things don't get worse for you! Then wait until it finishes and touchpad reboots by itself.
  7.    #247  
    he can't get webos quick install to work, his novacom isn't working. I assumed he had preware installed. I was wrong.

I cannot fix your problem until you can either get webos quick install working or preware installed on the device.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  8. svp
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    he can't get webos quick install to work, his novacom isn't working. I assumed he had preware installed. I was wrong.

I cannot fix your problem until you can either get webos quick install working or preware installed on the device.
    Right!

Can I open Terminal on my Mac and have it somehow get info into the TP and effect repairs that way?

BTW - I'm at a friend's place on her mac and we encountered the same issue. The webosdoctor's novacom drivers can't install because we have a newer version. Which is completely untrue, as we've never before installed the webosdoctor.

So, I think we can determine that 10.7.2 is not compatible.

Yet that's weird, because I've been using the webosdoctor on my 10.7.2 over the past month with no problems.

SO I really don't know.

Any Mac terminal controlling options???

Lastly, I can't find the new change user agent file. Where's that at?

You know, once I figure all this out, they'll have put out 3.0.5. and the hulu patch will need patching too.

Yes, one more question:

If I go to my friend's PC (not Mac), which I did last night and found very frustrating because I didn't know how to open the .jar file on a Windows 7 64-bit PC - Can anyone suggest which FREE programs would work without much advertising, spyware and other bullish*t to open the .jar files of the doctor?

Much thanks for a list of all FREE programs I might need to install prior to getting the webosdoctor to work.

Just thought of one more thing (I know, I know, one more thing...):
    If I go into my TP>settings>device info>erase (and start again), would that be of any help or would I still need the 'Doctor'?

Thanks for other answers to queries above as well.

Cheers.
    Last edited by svp; 11/29/2011 at 06:20 PM.
    Right!

So, I think we can determine that 10.7.2 is not compatible.

Cheers.
    If you are on 10.7.2, you are on Lion, not Snow Leopard. Go to this thread below. You can try those drivers referenced in the thread. If it doesn't work, please read the rest of the thread and post in that thread for help.

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-3-1-a-39.html

Once you get webosquickinstall working, please do not download any patches unless they are from Preware.

For the record, I have not downloaded Lion--more trouble than it is worth right now.

edit: make sure you are using the latest webos quick install 4.3.1
  10.    #250  
    Since your touchpad isn't being properly recognized by novacom on your mac, there is no "terminal" ways from the mac to activate a patch to fix your problem.

Do as bluenote says to try and fix your quick install issues. That will give you access to quick install - which actually has a terminal built-in (you can access it through the quickinstall menu). Or, you can simply install preware and follow my instructions.

If you decide to do things on a PC instead, you need JAVA installed. Not a third party program, not some oddball thing, just java.

They can install java here:

java.com: Java + You

Once installed, the .jar file will open normally by double clicking on it and allow them to run webOS doctor. This step is perhaps unnecessary however, because running the fix I provided will put your touchpad back into proper working order.

As for patching - this whole hulu patch is an alpha patch intended for people who aren't afraid and are capable of recovering from a screw-up. You seem to be a bit more of a casual computer user (this isn't meant in a negative way). Fiddling around with alpha patches is a really bad idea in that instance...

Anyway, lets get your novacom working, your touchpad fixed, and go from there.

11. svp
    Thanks everybody. The Jason Robitaille Mac drivers for Novacom installed.
    Then I went back to the Dr and tried to get that going. It started to look for a place to install to on my Mac and here's what it says:
    Palm(R) webOS(tm) Drivers can't be installed on this disk. A newer version of tis software already exists on this disk.
    Option to Go Back. Not continue.

Are these drivers different from Novacom. I'll need these now.

I think it best to try on a PC.

Thanks for the Java + You link for PC's. On a Mac a similar page opened directly. When I tried on a PC it had no option to open it nor a suggestion nor a link that opened directly, as it did on my Mac. So thanks for the hot link.

I'll try tomorrow from a PC and keep you posted.

I'm still not sure where to get a Change User Agent file, if you could specify that please...

Thanks again for everyone's input. I'll be back with an update and to read your contributions.
    Last edited by svp; 01/05/2012 at 11:09 AM.
    awsome
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hey all, I got Hulu working (Thanks a TON ncinerate!!!).

However, my app catalog is still working as well!... Unless i missed something in the last few pages of this thread, i was expecting the app catalog to be broken until i uninstalled the hulu patch.

I'm able to watch hulu and update/download new apps from the store. Any one else experience this? Should I be concerned?

Can't say i'm upset, it's awesome!... but i'm a little confused =/
    Thanks everybody. The Jason Robitaille Mac drivers for Novacom installed.
    Then I went back to the Dr and tried to get that going. It started to look for a place to install to on my Mac and here's what it says:
    Palm(R) webOS(tm) Drivers can't be installed on this disk. A newer version of tis software already exists on this disk.
    Option to Go Back. Not continue.

Are these drivers different from Novacom. I'll need these now.

I think it best to try on a PC.

Thanks for the Java + You link for PC's. On a Mac a similar page opened directly. When I tried on a PC it had no option to open it nor a suggestion nor a link that opened directly, as it did on my Mac. So thanks for the hot link.

I'll try tomorrow from a PC and keep you posted.

I'm still not sure where to get a Change User Agent file, if you could specify that please...

Thanks again for everyone's input. I'll be back with an update and to read your contributions.
    Please post your issue about the doctor in Jason's thread as someone may have solved it there.

If you haven't run this line below from command line in Jason's webos quick install, do it now and that should solve your change agent issues as per ncinerate instructions in post #243:
    "

Now get out of usb mode and from command line in webos quick install

carefully and exactly type:

/media/internal/fix

When it finishes up, reboot your touchpad manually."
  15. svp
    Good News! I was able to get everything up and running smoothly through my friends PC and the webosdoctor and everything else.

I even re-engaged the Hulu and will not touch a thing until v3.0.5+ come out.

Unlike DayLater, two persons above this comment, my App store is disconnected as expected.

Thank you to all for advising me along the way and keeping my hopes and spirits up.

It's good to be back!

(Yes, Macs still have this Palm Drivers, Novacom Drivers, Webosdoctor issue, for now.)
    Good News! I was able to get everything up and running smoothly through my friends PC and the webosdoctor and everything else.

I even re-engaged the Hulu and will not touch a thing until v3.0.5+ come out.

Unlike DayLater, two persons above this comment, my App store is disconnected as expected.

Thank you to all for advising me along the way and keeping my hopes and spirits up.

It's good to be back!

(Yes, Macs still have this Palm Drivers, Novacom Drivers, Webosdoctor issue, for now.)
    That's great. But you should carefully take off the Hulu patch now as per Ncinerate's advice. It is not meant for you to use and could possibly get you into trouble again when 3.05 comes out. It is only meant for alpha testers.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daylater View Post

However, my app catalog is still working as well!... Unless i missed something in the last few pages of this thread, i was expecting the app catalog to be broken until i uninstalled the hulu patch.

I'm able to watch hulu and update/download new apps from the store. Any one else experience this? Should I be concerned?

Disregard... I just needed to restart the TP. App Catalog is now disabled as it should be and Hulu is working wonderfully!

Cheers :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by daylater View Post

As I posted earlier in this thread, my experience with WebOS 3.0.4 and the new new hulu patch is the app catalog isn't totally broken like in the past but still largely broken. It will launch, and you can install free stuff. But I was unable to buy apps or use promo codes when I tried it. Also I saw weird some test app packages that don't normally show up. So be warned that you might not be able to take advantage of an app sale or a promo code without reversing the patch.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried using Kindle Cloud Reader with this patch? It will probably be the first Kindle app to officially support side loading via their free document conversion service.

https://read.amazon.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    Has anyone tried using Kindle Cloud Reader with this patch? It will probably be the first Kindle app to officially support side loading via their free document conversion service.

https://read.amazon.com/
    p
    Last edited by muks; 12/14/2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: moved to my other reply