Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
  1.    #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by svp View Post
    The app store isn't working either. Help me Obi-Won Kenobi.

In fact, every App that was installed doesn't work.

Then I went to the WebOS doctor and tried to run it. IT said a newer version had been installed (on my Mac) and it couldn't run. So now I don't know what to do, as I can't find it on my Mac either.

What can I do? Please supply link of latest webos doctor 3.0.4 (I'm currently re-trying the download link from here WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals and I selected Tablet, wifi only, version 3.0.4. It's downloading as I type this. Crossing my fingers and toes and eyes. I hope you're still monitoring this thread.

Of course if you know of a better way, I'm listening.

Whilst awaiting your reply and guidance, I'm erasing and wiping all apps and data under settings>Device info.

By the way, that download gave me the same problem, that I have newer drivers installed (somehow) and so the webos doctor wouldn't let me do anything.

Please advise.

Update: I couldn't get WebOS Doctor to work. By going into device info, settings, I erased all apps and data. It's rebooted. I've signed in. It's downloading all apps from my backup and restoring. I don't know if Flash is right version or User Agent anymore, to run Hulu.

I'll keep you posted. Looks like it won't work any longer without repatching everything.

I don't know why this happened.

I'd still love for you to chime in on an easier, less time-intensive way (than rebooting, erasing et al) to get Flash back to 'Web' and User Agent to whatever it should be.

So it's later, I've reset everything after erasing and reinstalling everything.

The HP App store does not work. Hulu does not work. Developer's mode will not engage. Novacom drivers will not install and communicate with the device. Preware thusly can not install. And of course, as I mentioned earlier, I can not get the Web OS Doctor to work with my Mac and my Tablet. Not pretty.

My HP Touchpad is a shambles and even a full restore didn't fix everything.

What can you recommend, apart from staying away from all these directions, to get a functioning (if not less fun) tablet.
    From the sounds of your flash string - you've somehow borked your flash installation.

It should be showing WEB or WIN, -NOT- 10.3bla bla bla (that sounds like the "example" string it shows when you DONT have flash).

In short, you MUST run webos doctor. Read my getting started guide for a basic runthrough of that process.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  2. svp
    Hi Incinerate, I'm glad you're still monitoring this thread.

I went to Web OS Doctor and it wouldn't even download.

I got these error messages. Chinese to me. Do you know what to do now?

I've bricked my device, it seems.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <jnlp
    spec="1.5+"
    codebase="http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touchpad/p304rod10182011/wd304wifi" href="webosdoctorp304hstnhwifi.jnlp"
    >
    <information>
    <title>HP webOS(R) Doctor(tm) Build 80.77, webOS 3.0.4</title>
    <vendor>HP</vendor>
    <homepage href="www.hpwebos.com" />
    <description>HP webOS(R) Doctor(tm) Build 80.77, webOS 3.0.4</description>
    <icon href="icon.png"/>
    <icon kind="splash" href="splash.jpg"/>
    <offline-allowed/>
    <shortcut online="true">
    <desktop/>
    </shortcut>
    </information>
    <update check="timeout" policy="always" />
    <security>
    <all-permissions/>
    </security>
    <resources>
    <j2se version="1.5+" />
    <jar href="webosdoctorp304hstnhwifi.jar"/>
    </resources>
    <application-desc main-class="com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.RecoveryTool" />
    </jnlp>

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...4hstnhwifi.jar
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(DownloadEngine.java:1416)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1569)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1547)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1654)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1578)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(DownloadEngine.java:215)
    at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload$DownloadTask.call(LaunchDownload.java:1983)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid literal/length code
    at java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.read(InflaterInputStream.java:147)
    at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.read(ZipInputStream.java:154)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.HttpDownloadHelper.decompressWrite(HttpDownloadHelper.java:257)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.HttpDownloadHelper.download(HttpDownloadHelper.java:136)
    at com.sun.deploy.cache.Cache.downloadResourceToTempFile(Cache.java:575)
    at com.sun.deploy.cache.Cache.downloadResourceToCache(Cache.java:539)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(DownloadEngine.java:1391)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1654)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1578)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)

Thanks.
  3.    #223  
    Hi Incinerate, I'm glad you're still monitoring this thread.

I went to Web OS Doctor and it wouldn't even download.

I got these error messages. Chinese to me. Do you know what to do now?

I've bricked my device, it seems.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <jnlp
    spec="1.5+"
    codebase="http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touchpad/p304rod10182011/wd304wifi" href="webosdoctorp304hstnhwifi.jnlp"
    >
    <information>
    <title>HP webOS(R) Doctor(tm) Build 80.77, webOS 3.0.4</title>
    <vendor>HP</vendor>
    <homepage href="www.hpwebos.com" />
    <description>HP webOS(R) Doctor(tm) Build 80.77, webOS 3.0.4</description>
    <icon href="icon.png"/>
    <icon kind="splash" href="splash.jpg"/>
    <offline-allowed/>
    <shortcut online="true">
    <desktop/>
    </shortcut>
    </information>
    <update check="timeout" policy="always" />
    <security>
    <all-permissions/>
    </security>
    <resources>
    <j2se version="1.5+" />
    <jar href="webosdoctorp304hstnhwifi.jar"/>
    </resources>
    <application-desc main-class="com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.RecoveryTool" />
    </jnlp>

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...4hstnhwifi.jar
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(DownloadEngine.java:1416)

java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid literal/length code
    at java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.read(InflaterInputStream.java:147)
    at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.read(ZipInputStream.java:154)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.HttpDownloadHelper.decompressWrite(HttpDownloadHelper.java:257)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.HttpDownloadHelper.download(HttpDownloadHelper.java:136)
    at com.sun.deploy.cache.Cache.downloadResourceToTempFile(Cache.java:575)
    at com.sun.deploy.cache.Cache.downloadResourceToCache(Cache.java:539)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(DownloadEngine.java:1391)

Thanks.
    Try following steps listed on this page:

How To Recover - WebOS Internals

You cant really brick your TP, it's just temporarily borked (unless there's a physical fault). Try manually downloading the webos doctor .jar file from a link here:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ions#Wifi_Only
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  4. svp
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Try following steps listed on this page:

How To Recover - WebOS Internals

You cant really brick your TP, it's just temporarily borked (unless there's a physical fault). Try manually downloading the webos doctor .jar file from a link here:

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Hi Incinerate. Thanks for replying so rapidly.

The Web OS Doctor won't even download (three attempts now), see errors above.

I tried your other links to no avail.

Where can I send my HP Touchpad for a complete repair?

It's done. Perhaps the first in the world, but it's done baby!
  5.    #225  
    Hi Incinerate. Thanks for replying so rapidly.

The Web OS Doctor won't even download (three attempts now), see errors above.

I tried your other links to no avail.

Where can I send my HP Touchpad for a complete repair?

It's done. Perhaps the first in the world, but it's done baby!
    Dude...

I'm downloading it right now using the link provided.

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...4hstnhwifi.jar

That works, it'll download, then run it.

6. svp
    Dude...

I'm downloading it right now using the link provided.

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...4hstnhwifi.jar

That works, it'll download, then run it.
    Yes, it does download, yes it runs, yes I select my country, go through the wizard until at some point it searches for a drive to install to and can't install to any of them saying that I have 'newer' drivers installed already.

On the side, for later, when I go to my friend's place, my Touchpad is showing WEB in Adobe flash. My user agent must be incorrect because when I go to Hulu I don't get the update your flash' message, I get the 'my device is not supported' message.

Where in this thread is the part about updating the updated 'change user agent' patch and the steps to follow? That might work from my friends place.

Now how that is possible I don't know. I only ran the doctor last month? (or so) when I chimed in about this issue back then (page 8 I believe in this thread). So I must've downloaded newer versions then, then there are now and it can't install.

So the question is, where did Palm (or whomever created that last install) place those files on my Mac (I'm not on a PC)? If I could remove them, then the install might work.

Alternatively, I can go to a friend's place and start from scratch on their Mac (or PC).

But my Mac is 'laced' with some WebOS Doctor from a month ago (obviously) and THAT is confusing MY system today.

So HP Touchpad repairs can no longer be effected from my MAC without a complete erase and install of my hard drive, barring finding where those files are currently residing.
    Last edited by svp; 11/26/2011 at 01:26 PM.
  7. svp
    A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Last edited by svp; 01/09/2012 at 01:36 PM.
  8. svp
    It asks: Please connect a device to continue. And you can see that the device is recognized in the finder window. And yes, the novacomm drivers were just installed 'correctly'.
  9.    #229  
    It asks: Please connect a device to continue. And you can see that the device is recognized in the finder window. And yes, the novacomm drivers were just installed 'correctly'.
    Try using a different cpu. I'm no mac expert. You could ask in the main forum too, they might know better.

use the doctor from webosinternals link, not from palm. Before you do so, open webos quick install and make sure it can connect to your touchpad, it will install the right drivers.

if the doctor does not recognize your pad, go onto device info, do a reset, then hold the vol button up when you see hp logo.

make sure hou open the doctor on your mac that you just downloaded and not some other doctor, this file will probably be in your download directory
  11.    #231  
    Also, clearly the hulu patch is improperly installed somehow.

If you're showing WEB as your flash agent that means the patch didn't apply (or was uninstalled). It MAY have applied for the user agent string portion of it though. Go to a "whats my user agent" page and that'll tell you if you still have a webos tablet user agent or not. Which patch did you use? Did you previously have a hulu fix installed? What does it say when you attempt to run the hulu patch now?

At any rate - if you're running doctor you're going to need doctor to recognize that TP. Bluenote's suggestions should help, barring that, use someone elses PC to attempt running the doc.

12. svp
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    use the doctor from webosinternals link, not from palm. Before you do so, open webos quick install and make sure it can connect to your touchpad, it will install the right drivers.

if the doctor does not recognize your pad, go onto device info, do a reset, then hold the vol button up when you see hp logo.

make sure you open the doctor on your mac that you just downloaded and not some other doctor, this file will probably be in your download directory
    Thanks for writing. Didn't work. I used the webosquickinstall from webosinternals (already, and again this morning), it asks to install novacom drivers and installs them, but the HP Touchpad is still not recognized, even though I clearly see it recognized in both my Macs finder window AND (I forgot, some other place)... Nonetheless it re-asks to re-download and re-install the novacom drivers, which I permit to no avail.

I've also tried the other doctor from the Palm site. To no avail. Failure.

Went to a friend's place, she was having computer problems. So we couldn't play at all.

Related as a Mac user issue: www.hpplay.com no longer has a Mac beta download (or any download). Any idea where to get HPPlay for Mac these days? HP seems to have forsaken Mac users.
  13. svp
    Also, clearly the hulu patch is improperly installed somehow.

If you're showing WEB as your flash agent that means the patch didn't apply (or was uninstalled). It MAY have applied for the user agent string portion of it though. Go to a "whats my user agent" page and that'll tell you if you still have a webos tablet user agent or not. Which patch did you use? Did you previously have a hulu fix installed? What does it say when you attempt to run the hulu patch now?

At any rate - if you're running doctor you're going to need doctor to recognize that TP. Bluenote's suggestions should help, barring that, use someone elses PC to attempt running the doc.
    No webos tablet identified. Yes, I had the fix for 3.0.4 running perfectly prior to trying to reenable the HP app store for Black Friday App specials. That's when this whole thing went crazy. Not worth it.

It would be helpful if someone could tell me where the Doctor files are stored on my Mac so I could delete them and start fresh, without erasing and installing my whole Macs HD (to be sure to remove the files).

It would also be helpful if you could tell me the instructions (with a link) directly to the user agent part. I can't find it any longer. Is that part of the initial Hulu fix instructions??? I'm getting lost in this long forum. Thanks for indicators.
  14. svp
    As you can clearly see, I'm running the webosdoctor from web internals and as I'm trying to install to a drive I can't because..."a newer version" already exists.

F'd up.
    Last edited by svp; 01/09/2012 at 01:38 PM.
    No webos tablet identified. Yes, I had the fix for 3.0.4 running perfectly prior to trying to reenable the HP app store for Black Friday App specials. That's when this whole thing went crazy. Not worth it.

It would be helpful if someone could tell me where the Doctor files are stored on my Mac so I could delete them and start fresh, without erasing and installing my whole Macs HD (to be sure to remove the files).

It would also be helpful if you could tell me the instructions (with a link) directly to the user agent part. I can't find it any longer. Is that part of the initial Hulu fix instructions??? I'm getting lost in this long forum. Thanks for indicators.
    found this thread below, might be useful to post there. Also did yoj install Lion or are you still on snow leopard?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...d-drivers.html
  16. svp
    I followed the steps but the two extracted files are ending in .msi and there are no native applications in my Mac to open such files.

It will still be easier to do this on a friend's Mac, fresh. But I won't do it for fear of corrupting their Mac.

I tried on a PC, but PC's are too unintuitive (you have to have patience and experience to work on a PC). I couldn't even find a native file to open the .jar Dr. I gave up.

Though I'm hopeful to achieve a clean Mac (via an erase and install tomorrow) and re-use my Touchpad fully one-day a few days from now, it's disconcerting that I can't turn off the processes, even once my Mac is shut down (that's implied by the advice in this thread, that it starts up and keeps going once my Mac is up and running too).

For me that's a very scary notion. What else is it doing in the background? Who is it reporting to? What's it reporting? Who knows? Seems very unsafe (even for the mildly paranoid).

I will reinstall my OS with an erase and install because of this.

That's a day of backing up and a week of reinstalling all my pro applications.

Then, once that 's done, who is to say that this won't happen again (and I won't be able to find the 'close novacom' files again, so I'd have to erase and install again).

This has become clear that this 'fix' is not worth it my pre central friends.

Not because of the fix, but because of what's involved and how un-streamlined the whole process is. Too many Dr.'s involved, and operations to open things and download things and try (in vane) to close things. An ongoing nightmare.

I'll pay for Hulu Plus after my erase and install (and eventual HP Touchpad re-initiation and de-brick-ifcation) and never alter it again (as I won't be able to put it in developer mode, nor get Preware installed, as I won't "f" with it again - and we know that the webosinstaller won't work...). I'll go for a simple out of the box HP Touchpad and stop futzing around.

If you experts don't know what to do, how can this newbie?

Thanks. Goodbye. I've got a weeks worth of fixing my Mac (reinstalling everything) now because of this.
    I'm sorry for your problem. I've had webOS for over 2 years, a bunch of devices. webOS doctor always worked for me and so did Quick Install and Preware. I've obviously gone through a bunch of doctors and installations of novacom.

I don't know what happened to your mac or why the drivers are not installing properly. I'm not sure if that is an issue with webOS or just with your mac and how programs are being installed and uninstalled.

Separately, I only did applications and patches that were in webOS Quick Install and Preware for almost the first two years I had webOS. This ensured that someone had tested these over and over and was available with solutions for my problems.

My suggestion, especially for a newbie, is not to do any patches or apps that have not been approved by webos-internals and installable in Preware. That includes hulu fixes which change the browser agent, the keyboard patch etc. I am still very very careful with these...

ps And obviously many many people use the webOS doctor. I would help you but I don't think we are in the same town.
    Last edited by bluenote; 11/29/2011 at 07:57 AM.
    I'm careful with patches to, always asking myself if the patch adds enough value to risk modifying my system with the omnipresent risk of having to deal with a negative outcome. The hulu patch seems simple, as I understand it, there are only a couple of files involved, either patched or not. I've had good luck with it but I don't have a Mac. I'm not saying Macs are a problem but wonder if they are as common and therefore as well tested with Preware. It boggles my mind that installing this patch could lead to even a touchpad rebuild much less a computer rebuild.
  19.    #239  
    The hulu fix does 2 things.

1: It changes the user-agent on the browser.
    2: It changes the flash string identifier.

That's it. You can literally open the patch file in notepad++ and read what it's doing. It's all there in plain text.

The hulu patch WILL NOT: Break your mac. Report -anything- to an external server. Require you to reformat your home PC. And honestly, I can't see any way in the world that the patch AS IT IS CURRENTLY WRITTEN could break your touchpad.

You say:
    Though I'm hopeful to achieve a clean Mac (via an erase and install tomorrow) and re-use my Touchpad fully one-day a few days from now, it's disconcerting that I can't turn off the processes, even once my Mac is shut down (that's implied by the advice in this thread, that it starts up and keeps going once my Mac is up and running too).

For me that's a very scary notion. What else is it doing in the background? Who is it reporting to? What's it reporting? Who knows? Seems very unsafe (even for the mildly paranoid).
    I have -no- idea what you're talking about here. What processes? What implications? What on earth are you trying to say? The hulu patch isn't reporting to external sources and it's not "running", it makes changes to other files, two single-line changes. That's it. Do you mean novacom drivers? Novacom drivers allow you to plug your touchpad in and have it be recognized by your device. They serve to allow your touchpad to work with your mac, just like a printer driver lets you print something, or a video card driver allows you to see things on your screen. Novacom drivers do -not- operate when your computer is OFF (nothing does, your computer is -off-), and they don't report to foreign servers with your browsing habits. They exist to allow you to plug the touchpad into the computer, that's it...

Anyway, I digress.

The HULU patch checks to ensure you have the proper user-agent in place so it does NOT make changes unless you are properly updated to 3.0.4, and makes backups of the relevant files to make install and uninstall a simple process. Unless you did something silly like shut the system down mid-patching, there is virtually no way in the world this could go wrong...

You're having trouble and you're frustrated, I get that. Lets fix this. Your touchpad is currently working correct? You can turn it on and browse the net, right?

First, go here on your touchpad:

Whats My User Agent?

What does that say, what is your user agent showing up as? Better yet, take a screenshot and upload it.

Now go here on your touchpad:

Find Flash Player version

Look down the page a hair for the section that says:

Find Flash Player version installed on your browser

If Flash Player is installed on your computer, the following box displays the version of Flash Player installed along with the operating system:

RIGHT HERE IT WILL TELL YOU YOUR FLASH IDENTIFIER, IT SHOULD SAY WEB OR WIN

Ok, what does it say? Again, take a screenshot and upload it.

If the flash identifier says WEB, and the user-agent is showing an hp webos tablet, that means your hulu patch is currently uninstalled.

Go to here:

http://forums.precentral.net/3218146-post139.html

Download the file, and follow the instructions to install it. (Unzip it, send it to the device, and run it from a terminal window either on the device, or in webOS quick install).

If on the other hand something ELSE is going on (like, your flash identifier isnt changed or is missing, or if your user agent is borked up - which shouldn't be possible), I can offer up a different and slightly more complex solution.

I need you to give me clear concise explanations of what is said. If you cannot, take a screenshot of the flash page and the user agent page and I can get the info I need from that. Once I have that info, I can easily walk you through fixing this problem manually even if it DID bork up your touchpad.

You should NOT have to do a webOS doctor to fix this.

On the flip side, doing a webOS doctor is another thing the Hulu fix did NOT break. I am not sure why you cannot seem to run webOS doctor properly from your mac but that is a totally separate issue that has nothing to do with this patch.

Also - sidenote - running .jar files on a PC requires you to have JAVA installed on the pc. Install java, and the .jar file (webos doctor file) will run with no issues. It shouldn't be non-intuitive. The instructions are spelled out as simply as I can manage...
    Last edited by ncinerate; 11/29/2011 at 08:52 AM.

jc-Treo and eblade like this.
  20. svp
    The hulu fix does 2 things.

1: It changes the user-agent on the browser.
    2: It changes the flash string identifier.

That's it. You can literally open the patch file in notepad++ and read what it's doing. It's all there in plain text.

The hulu patch WILL NOT: Break your mac. Report -anything- to an external server. Require you to reformat your home PC. And honestly, I can't see any way in the world that the patch AS IT IS CURRENTLY WRITTEN could break your touchpad.

You say:

I have -no- idea what you're talking about here. What processes? What implications? What on earth are you trying to say? The hulu patch isn't reporting to external sources and it's not "running", it makes changes to other files, two single-line changes. That's it. Do you mean novacom drivers? Novacom drivers allow you to plug your touchpad in and have it be recognized by your device. They serve to allow your touchpad to work with your mac, just like a printer driver lets you print something, or a video card driver allows you to see things on your screen. Novacom drivers do -not- operate when your computer is OFF (nothing does, your computer is -off-), and they don't report to foreign servers with your browsing habits. They exist to allow you to plug the touchpad into the computer, that's it...

Anyway, I digress.

The HULU patch checks to ensure you have the proper user-agent in place so it does NOT make changes unless you are properly updated to 3.0.4, and makes backups of the relevant files to make install and uninstall a simple process. Unless you did something silly like shut the system down mid-patching, there is virtually no way in the world this could go wrong...

You're having trouble and you're frustrated, I get that. Lets fix this. Your touchpad is currently working correct? You can turn it on and browse the net, right?

First, go here on your touchpad:

Whats My User Agent?

What does that say, what is your user agent showing up as? Better yet, take a screenshot and upload it.

Now go here on your touchpad:

Find Flash Player version

Look down the page a hair for the section that says:

Find Flash Player version installed on your browser

If Flash Player is installed on your computer, the following box displays the version of Flash Player installed along with the operating system:

RIGHT HERE IT WILL TELL YOU YOUR FLASH IDENTIFIER, IT SHOULD SAY WEB OR WIN

Ok, what does it say? Again, take a screenshot and upload it.

If the flash identifier says WEB, and the user-agent is showing an hp webos tablet, that means your hulu patch is currently uninstalled.

Go to here:

http://forums.precentral.net/3218146-post139.html

Download the file, and follow the instructions to install it. (Unzip it, send it to the device, and run it from a terminal window either on the device, or in webOS quick install).

If on the other hand something ELSE is going on (like, your flash identifier isnt changed or is missing, or if your user agent is borked up - which shouldn't be possible), I can offer up a different and slightly more complex solution.

I need you to give me clear concise explanations of what is said. If you cannot, take a screenshot of the flash page and the user agent page and I can get the info I need from that. Once I have that info, I can easily walk you through fixing this problem manually even if it DID bork up your touchpad.

You should NOT have to do a webOS doctor to fix this.

On the flip side, doing a webOS doctor is another thing the Hulu fix did NOT break. I am not sure why you cannot seem to run webOS doctor properly from your mac but that is a totally separate issue that has nothing to do with this patch.

Also - sidenote - running .jar files on a PC requires you to have JAVA installed on the pc. Install java, and the .jar file (webos doctor file) will run with no issues. It shouldn't be non-intuitive. The instructions are spelled out as simply as I can manage...
    I'm on with Palm support now (in the Philippines). They are aware of the Mac/Novacom/Jar/Webosdoctor problem. Apparently I'm not alone. Hopefully a new release is pending.

FYI I wasn't talking about the hulu patch calling home, I was referring/questioning ever running novacom drivers. Sorry for the confusion.