Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By richip
  1.    #1  
    Any recommendations for software to convert a DVD to MP4 format? Anything that is free or low cost would be preferred.
    Check out HandBrake and the HandBrake Presets thread here in the forums: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html
    vanzanthp likes this.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Handbrake is very good. I've been encoding videos for a few years now and "Freemake Video Encoder" is by far one of the easiest encoders I've found in a long time.

Free Video Converter | Convert Video Formats Free | Freemake
    What is the smallest size mp4 file you can do without affecting the picture quality?
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    DVD Catalyst 4. It cost $10 but it will take care of the DRM, has an HP touchpad preset, and is really quick. For example, I converted a DVD to mp4 in half an hour. Handbrake will take 2 to 3 hours.
    Just tried the demo version for DVD Catalyst 4; works great an was super easy. I'm sold!
    handbrake
    Quote Originally Posted by austriak View Post
    For example, I converted a DVD to mp4 in half an hour. Handbrake will take 2 to 3 hours.
    How large are the files? (Typical movie of 90-120 minutes.)
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgquiet View Post
    Handbrake is very good. I've been encoding videos for a few years now and "Freemake Video Encoder" is by far one of the easiest encoders I've found in a long time.

Free Video Converter | Convert Video Formats Free | Freemake
    I just tried Freemake and it worked well. I converted a DVD that was 2 hours and 20 minutes in 40 minutes, not bad. Will give HandBrake and DVD Catalyst a try as well. Thank you for the suggestions.