Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mistaox
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Has anyone worked out what the TP is doing when is pauses for 10 seconds at a time?
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    When in the context of a single application, my general belief is that it is waiting for some data to finish loading off the internet before updating the UI / responding to new user input.

A lot of times when I see this "stuck" behavior, I can switch cards and launch new programs just fine.

The Spaz UI, for example, is pretty unresponsive during the course of a data reload, especially if you have many active columns it needs to load. During this reload interview, while the Spaz UI is stuck, I can switch to other applications just fine.
    My mommy always told me that, when I get angry, to count to 10 before saying anything that I might regret later.

Could it be..?
    I always assumed it was paging.
    Its probably trying to figure out why you haven't patched and overclocked it yet.

F4 Kernel is like butter!
    grappler and sledge007 like this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Patched and overclocked here :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Patched and overclocked here :-P
    really?...even with j-stop ?

I have no such lag or pauses...
    I think it's synergy waiting for a cloud service to respond to a back-end process.
    What is J-stop? I looked in preware and don't see it I have it patched and overclocked and it freezes on me sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think it's synergy waiting for a cloud service to respond to a back-end process.
    That shouldn't peg both cores or generate a huge amount of I/O though.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suikostinger View Post
    What is J-stop? I have it patched and overclocked and it freezes on me sometimes.
    I think he means jsjsjs-$top$ ( $javascript$ $top$ ) $which$ $shows$ $the$ $processes$ $using$ $the$ $highest$ $resources$. $It$ $doesn$'$t$ $stop$ $hangs$. $If$ $anything$ $it$ $will$ $make$ $them$ $worse$ $as$ $jstop$ $itself$ $takes$ $up$ $memory$ ;-)
    I think he means jsjsjs-$top$ ( $javascript$ $top$ ) $which$ $shows$ $the$ $processes$ $using$ $the$ $highest$ $resources$. $It$ $doesn$'$t$ $stop$ $hangs$. $If$ $anything$ $it$ $will$ $make$ $them$ $worse$ $as$ $jstop$ $itself$ $takes$ $up$ $memory$ ;-)
    yes, I meant jsjsjs-$top$..$lol$... $I$ $have$ $it$ $set$ $to$ $Auto$ $GC$ $and$ $turned$ $off$ $notifications$.

I also restart my TP at least once a week, so maybe that's why I dont see any pauses.
    Has anyone worked out what the TP is doing when is pauses for 10 seconds at a time?
    Plotting the demise of it's owner.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by jcerwinske View Post
    When in the context of a single application, my general belief is that it is waiting for some data to finish loading off the internet before updating the UI / responding to new user input.

A lot of times when I see this "stuck" behavior, I can switch cards and launch new programs just fine.

The Spaz UI, for example, is pretty unresponsive during the course of a data reload, especially if you have many active columns it needs to load. During this reload interview, while the Spaz UI is stuck, I can switch to other applications just fine.
    A big nasty design thing, is that all the Enyo javascript super niceness, all runs in a single thread. So you can run a dozen apps, but their UIs and other enyo based operations all run together in the same thread. In the same process. On the same processor.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Here's the thing: Javascript is single-threaded (generally). *So when an app (or the framework behind the scenes) is doing something CPU intensive, the UI does not update until it gets some CPU cycles. *And from a framework perspective, it is by design. *In my opinion, that is the one chin-k (stupid filter) in the armor of webOS -- the same thing that makes apps easy to write makes them seem unresponsive at times.

Edit: DOH obviously it took me way too long to type that up.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I don't think it's javascript's fault (although being single-threaded doesn't help.

I think the prkblem comes from the slowness of webOS' webkit in executing javascript and modifying DOM nodes. They're aware of this, and I suppose they're working on a rewrite, but it takes time. Also, there must be something wrong in the background, because that doesn't explain those freezes when apps are idle.

Newness Developments apps:

Sure, because even when apps are idle, the OS is doing stuff in the background like syncing synergy accounts, garbage collecting, etc. *The slow DOM node handling certainly does not help.

Sure, because even when apps are idle, the OS is doing stuff in the background like syncing synergy accounts, garbage collecting, etc. *The slow DOM node handling certainly does not help.

But sinergy, and so on runs on to of node, which runs on a different process... I don't know, but they need to find ghe button, and press it.

Newness Developments apps:

it'll stop bad processes if you set it to automatic mode in the prefernces dropdown

save the wave, btw
    depends really
    I have both apps and jstop doing gc causing slowdowns...

so far looking at lumberjack its IMAP errors (right now causing slowness) with most likely gmail