webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Internet Connection over SSH tunnel with TouchPad
Internet Connection over SSH tunnel with TouchPad

Old 09/19/2011, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

I would like to route all internet traffic on my TouchPad through an SSH tunnel when I'm on public WiFi or on the WiFi at work. I already have a small server at home that I use for this purpose when I'm on my laptop.
chuchundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If you have a router compatible with Tomato USB, you should be able to install PPTP VPN support (look in the HowTo on their web site).

Then you install the PPTP VPN plugin on your Touchpad (Search in the App Catalog) and you should be able to setup a VPN connection.

Disclaimer: Note the emphasis on shoulds... I never had time to actually try it.

Blackboard Math! - source
ukabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2011, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was able get the VPN working on my Synology Diskstation. We'll see if it works today while I'm at work.

I still think there should be a way to do this with just SSH.
chuchundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

VPN is an option, but I don't want to VPN off my home network(or a paid for one), but instead would rather SSH tunnel from my own sites or SOCKS proxy it via SSH, kind of how I do it in PuTTY on windows. I don't have a box(or router) dedicated for VPN at home and don't plan on setting that up, but I do use my sites all the time to tunnel over. Just convenient for me personally. Would be nice to figure out a way to do that on the touchpad as well.
xxdigipxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I use kebrum.com, works fine for both TP and desktop.Using pptp on TP.

Tags
ssh, touchpad

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0