Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    How long does anyone think the lifespan of the Touhpad will be? The reason I am asking is because I opened my 64gb white panda over the weekend and I am considering getting a Squaretrade warranty for it. I can get a 3 year warranty with accident protection for $104 with a coupon code and tax. They are going to insure for $499 but I didn't pat that much.

I am not considering doing this on any of my other Touchpads but the panda is special. Do you think the life of the battery will be 3 years with heavy daily use? The accident protection alone seems worthwhile.
    battery life diminishes considerably after 500 charge cycles. That's close to 2 years.

does square trade cover battery?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    The lifespan of any electronic device is 75% determined by individual usage patterns. Variables such as how often you use and charge it. The other 25% is a combination of standard factors (build quality, battery quality, etc.) and luck (as any electronic devices will have slight differences that make them behave differently).

Since the battery isn't easily replaceable, you are pretty much locked into it's life expectancy. I've never dealt with Square Trade, but I doubt they would replace/refund a unit simply because the battery died. And if that was the only problem, you could probably get it replaced with HP for less then the cost of your warranty.

While add-on warranties might be useful for expensive items (cars, washer/dryer, appliances, etc.), I see no point in wasting your money on one for the TP.

Do you really think you are going to be using this device in three years?

Personally, I prefer my free Amex double warranty benefit (up to one year). So my TP has a two year warranty. I doubt I will still be using it in two years, but if I do, I'm covered. Most likely with a refund since there probably won't be replacement units after a year.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I wouldnt get any sort of insurance for the thing, we don't know yet if HP will still invest in WebOS updates etc...
    if your greatest concern is battery then you could defer that payment for a couple of years. the squaretrade warranty, however, covers other issues, too.

But for battery replacement use HP's Battery Replacement program for $99, here: http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb2.../44763_en.html
  6.    #6  
    I wonder if HP will continue to replace batteries 2 years from now?

According to the warranty it will cover the battery since the device is sealed. If they were removable it wouldn't.

I was hoping with Android soon becoming available even if they don't update Webos Android will be a great alternative.
    I expect they will still replace batteries under the battery replacement program in two years as they sell a Care Pack that extends warranties to two years.

as to the battery being covered under warranty I believe that is for defects, not loss of charge capacity over time, which is expected with any rechargeable battery
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Even with the battery having no life left I could think of a lot of cool things I could still do with this since it works while plugged in. Worst case it would make a cool alarm clock, digital photo frame, media player for the kids in a car and much more.

People take the ipod touches apart to replace the battery, couldn't it be the same with this? It could be big business in 3 years from now.
  9.    #9  
    That is a good point about using it plugged in.

Anything else major that could go wrong with a Touchpad besides battery? I still have an IPhone 2g that works just fine that I finally got around to trading in at Best Buy. It is 4 years old but works like new.
    With the technology moving at the speed of light, I'll be happy to get 2 good years out of my TP. If it's still in good working order after that, I'll most likely give it up to my nephews/nieces and get a new tablet for myself.

To OP: why is the "panda" so special? It's got the same processor as 16/32g TP's with some extra storage space. Not quite sure why it's so "special".

I would not get the extended warranty. Keep that money and put it towards your next tablet when the time comes.
  11.    #11  
    Seeing how it is only 1 of 200 I would say it is special.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    With the technology moving at the speed of light, I'll be happy to get 2 good years out of my TP. If it's still in good working order after that, I'll most likely give it up to my nephews/nieces and get a new tablet for myself.

To OP: why is the "panda" so special? It's got the same processor as 16/32g TP's with some extra storage space. Not quite sure why it's so "special".

I would not get the extended warranty. Keep that money and put it towards your next tablet when the time comes.
    Oh, and I have a 4 year old Mac that works as good as the day I bought it. So I would think the opposite on electronics these days. Are you saying you only expect 2 years because it is an HP tablet or do you believe all tablets would only have a lifespan of 2 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by wilburjoe View Post
    Oh, and I have a 4 year old Mac that works as good as the day I bought it. So I would think the opposite on electronics these days. Are you saying you only expect 2 years because it is an HP tablet or do you believe all tablets would only have a lifespan of 2 years?
    I also have a Dell laptop that is 8 yrs old and still functional. Sure, it's slow as h3ll and can't do some of the things I want to do (video editing for example) but I use it for some simple tasks.

I mainly said I expect 2 yrs out of my TP not because it's HP product but rather because it's a tablet. Tablet is fairly new, compared to other computing devices, and I expect greater leaps in technology for it than say a laptop.

So, in 2 yrs, I'll be ready for a quadcore tablet that can replace my desktop or laptop completely.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Comparing a newer computer to a tablet is not a good analogy. Computers have pretty much reached a plateau as far as processing power goes for the average user (as far as necessity). Unless you play intensive games or do specialized media work, an average computer from four years ago will still work fine for 95% of people today. It can still play movies, most games, web/email, office apps, etc.

But the Tablet market is still really in it's infancy. For all we know, it might not even be around in a few years. But if they are, the devices themselves will definitely be significantly more powerful in two years then they are today. Sure the HP Touchpad could still be useful for many people in 2+ years. You could even just use it as a cheap digital picture frame or mp3 player. But if you want a tablet that will work as good as the rest of the tablets on the market, you will most likely need to upgrade anyway.

I would compare it more to the computers back in the late 80s, early 90s. Back then, every few months would have dramatic improvements in quality, processing, memory, storage, graphics, etc. You would actually have to read the minimum/recommended system specs to ensure that a new piece of software would actually work. Huge shifts that would make older computers very obsolete. While the physical hardware would last for decades (I wish that was the case now), you would need to replace it long before then.

And in the end, it all boils down to cost. Sure you could pay $100+ for an extra couple years of warranty, but why would you do that for a $200 device? Especially one that will only be worth <$50 in two years?
    howi likes this.
    With the poor build quality I've seen on a more than one TouchPad that's crossed my path I'd expect to be lucky if mine lasts more than a year before it falls apart.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by enki View Post
    Comparing a newer computer to a tablet is not a good analogy. Computers have pretty much reached a plateau as far as processing power goes for the average user (as far as necessity). Unless you play intensive games or do specialized media work, an average computer from four years ago will still work fine for 95% of people today. It can still play movies, most games, web/email, office apps, etc.

But the Tablet market is still really in it's infancy. For all we know, it might not even be around in a few years. But if they are, the devices themselves will definitely be significantly more powerful in two years then they are today. Sure the HP Touchpad could still be useful for many people in 2+ years. You could even just use it as a cheap digital picture frame or mp3 player. But if you want a tablet that will work as good as the rest of the tablets on the market, you will most likely need to upgrade anyway.

I would compare it more to the computers back in the late 80s, early 90s. Back then, every few months would have dramatic improvements in quality, processing, memory, storage, graphics, etc. You would actually have to read the minimum/recommended system specs to ensure that a new piece of software would actually work. Huge shifts that would make older computers very obsolete. While the physical hardware would last for decades (I wish that was the case now), you would need to replace it long before then.

And in the end, it all boils down to cost. Sure you could pay $100+ for an extra couple years of warranty, but why would you do that for a $200 device? Especially one that will only be worth <$50 in two years?
    I would agree I it was only insured for $200. However, the Squaretrade warranty is going to cover $499 for 3 years. So if we were to say that it was only going to last 2 years then this would be a good deal because I would get 2 years use then a check for $499 if they can't fix it.

I guess my reasoning is as much as some people are complaining about cracks, quality, etc with this being a first generation device then the odds may be in my favor that it won't last 3 years and I will end up getting 100% of my money back and the use of a Touchpad for 2 to 2 1/2 years for free.

So, if you are a gambler what are the odds of it lasting 3 years and actually being able to repair it if something does go wrong?
    In three years it will be OBSOLETE...............................................
    Get real..................................................................................
    And if they do insure it, they're not making anymore so how do you COLLECT.........................................Another scheme to get money.
    I never insure electronics, no matter what.....................................
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jewjenk View Post
    In three years it will be OBSOLETE...............................................
    Get real..................................................................................
    And if they do insure it, they're not making anymore so how do you COLLECT.........................................Another scheme to get money.
    I never insure electronics, no matter what.....................................
    They don't replace it. You get a check. You can look at it for yourself

SquareTrade Warranties | Extended Warranties for 70% Less Than Retail | Electronics Insurance Alternative

My thought is insure it. Use it hoping it lasts 2 years. Collect the purchase price back and hope there is a webOS device then or buy the next big thing and not cost me anything.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    How long does anyone think the lifespan of the Touhpad will be? The reason I am asking is because I opened my 64gb white panda over the weekend and I am considering getting a Squaretrade warranty for it. I can get a 3 year warranty with accident protection for $104 with a coupon code and tax. They are going to insure for $499 but I didn't pat that much.

I am not considering doing this on any of my other Touchpads but the panda is special. Do you think the life of the battery will be 3 years with heavy daily use? The accident protection alone seems worthwhile.
    I have used Squaretrade myself on several items including a front load washer - and the warranty cost MORE than paid for itself when the drum got bent. However, I thought that you had to provide a copy of the receipt, as this is the actual amount that it will be covered for. So if you paid less than $499, I would think they would only insure it for the amount you paid for it - no more than that. Otherwise you could insure it, use it until just before the warranty expires, and then "drop" it and collect pocket the original purchase price plus the "extra" that they insured it for.

Maybe it is different for some electronics that are more of a fixed price (like an iPad or iPhone), but this has been my experience for other items - receipt is required.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
    I have used Squaretrade myself on several items including a front load washer - and the warranty cost MORE than paid for itself when the drum got bent. However, I thought that you had to provide a copy of the receipt, as this is the actual amount that it will be covered for. So if you paid less than $499, I would think they would only insure it for the amount you paid for it - no more than that. Otherwise you could insure it, use it until just before the warranty expires, and then "drop" it and collect pocket the original purchase price plus the "extra" that they insured it for.

Maybe it is different for some electronics that are more of a fixed price (like an iPad or iPhone), but this has been my experience for other items - receipt is required.
    Yes, you do have to have a receipt unless you bought it on EBay. After I bought mine the guy raised the price on them to $499. When you get a Squaretrade quote you just use your EBay item number. No matter what I do it only let's me insure for $499. This would cover the cost of the Touchpad and the warranty.

Seems like a no lose situation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast