Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes
    I would have bought one of these, had the price been right. Complain about the ugly hardware, but it's just as I predicted. It has a rubberized back that surrounds the plastic of the bezel, protecting it. This is the same way the battery cover fits on the Pixi. I would much prefer this design to the fragile, hard plastic shiny shell that the 10-inch TP has. If you can't go aluminum, rubber is next best IMO.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    id buy 2 one for me and wife no need to buy 10! Scumbags that buy them to resale.
    Nothing scumbaggy about those who put in the work to get them reselling them to those who couldn't be bothered.
    Syndil and fej180 like this.
  3.    #23  
    whatever dude not even gonna argue^
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Nothing scumbaggy about those who put in the work to get them reselling them to those who couldn't be bothered.
    Buying up all the stock so others don't have a chance to purchase a product is NOT "putting in the works." You buying 10 when you only need one is you scumbagging the other 9 people in line who also "put in the work" but denied the chance to buy because of people like you.

Those other 9 people also had to take time off work to stand line, just like you. You wouldn't be putting in any more work than those people.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Buying up all the stock so others don't have a chance to purchase a product is NOT "putting in the works." You buying 10 when you only need one is you scumbagging the other 9 people in line who also "put in the work" but denied the chance to buy because of people like you.

Those other 9 people also had to take time off work to stand line, just like you. You wouldn't be putting in any more work than those people.
    First of all its ridiculous to get into an argument about a completely fictitious event. Second, no, I would be putting in the work by getting there earlier. Third, even if I did get to a line earlier, meaning that HP would release this unproduced unmarketed unmanufactured tablet to retail, almost assuredly there would be a 1 per person limit. Fourth, why should I care if 9 others don't get the fictitious tablet at the firesale price? Not like I'd be smashing the other 9. They could hit me up on craigslist and pay the true market value if they want the tablets.

Also, if you want to respond, please just PM me. It seems like every comment I make someone tries to take it way off topic. Just cause I said I would buy as many as I could and resell, now the entire thread is about reselling and how I am a scumbag for noticing an exploitable gap in supply and demand. Just PM me and don't take this thread further off a cliff.
    Syndil and fej180 like this.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    sux would have bought two
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    I'd definitely buy a couple for myself and my family.

So the big question is - will HP just throw all the parts away and not earn a single cent, or will they sell them and hope to get a couple of bucks?
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    this is exactly the kind of tablet I want .....
    Hope production already started before 18th of August... and some devices will find their way into the wild..

webOS on a pocket-size 7" screen, rubberized back, faster processor, 3G (or even 4G)...

I would definately buy one!
    First of all its ridiculous to get into an argument about a completely fictitious event. Second, no, I would be putting in the work by getting there earlier. Third, even if I did get to a line earlier, meaning that HP would release this unproduced unmarketed unmanufactured tablet to retail, almost assuredly there would be a 1 per person limit. Fourth, why should I care if 9 others don't get the fictitious tablet at the firesale price? Not like I'd be smashing the other 9. They could hit me up on craigslist and pay the true market value if they want the tablets.

Also, if you want to respond, please just PM me. It seems like every comment I make someone tries to take it way off topic. Just cause I said I would buy as many as I could and resell, now the entire thread is about reselling and how I am a scumbag for noticing an exploitable gap in supply and demand. Just PM me and don't take this thread further off a cliff.
    Look out below Thelma and Louise!

I'm not trying to offend, but sometimes expressing differing viewpoints is appropriate in public forums, and other times, particularly when things get more heated or personal, private messages are more appropriate.

I don't think it is fair for you to feel free to make comments on the thread, but if anyone has an objection to what you said, they must only reply via PM. It sort of sounds like that is what you are suggesting. You may not have meant it in that way, but it seems to read that way. So, I agree and disagree with that viewpoint. I do think there is a proper way to respond in a public thread, but that certain things should be reserved for private conversations.

I'm sorry you are feeling attacked in your postings. One reason you feel that people take issue with a lot of your posts is because your posts might tend to be more provocative than the average. A provocative post encourages response...particularly from those whose opinion differs from yours. As an example, you said earlier you would buy up 10...it was only after someone expressed opposition to that concept when you said it was likely there would be a limit of 1 or 2 units per person. If you knew that from the outset, why did you choose to say you would get 10? You either deliberately or subconsciously chose to make a more provocative statement that would be more likely to get a response. So you shouldn't act surprised or offended. If such responses do offend, consider reducing the 'provocative' language or statements to something less likely to be misunderstood.

Regarding the issue of buying up multiple units of a very limited stock of a product highly sought after, I happen to think it is unkind to your fellow man, woman, child, nerd, etc. to buy up so many for the purpose of making a profit at the expense of others who might also have put in the effort but gotten there a few seconds behind you. But I agree with you that it is likely there will be a limit on what one person can purchase. I appreciate any authorized seller in taking that measure.

Profit can be good, but there are ways to earn profit that are not so cut-throat. I think it would be better to look out for our fellow man, woman, child, nerd...dog...etc., rather than find ways to maximize our profit at their expense. Profit, yes. Care for our human family (ok, you can include pets too...and maybe your favorite wild animal, but that's it!) is also important and should be considered in how we conduct ourselves in business and fun.

Did I dislodge too many rocks from the cliff? Sorry...I'm a bit fascinated with cliffs...can't resist going over them...if I'm rappelling! Of course, I enjoy going up and over them more!

Oh yeah, and to sort of steer this behemoth of a discussion back to the original topic...I wish I could take a quick trip to China and find one of these! I like the rubberized back idea for sure.

Cheers and always remember..."Don't worry...be happy!"
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 09/21/2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I've yet to see any 7in tablets in the wild. It's always ipads and not much else until HP had it's firesale.
    I've seen one Galaxy Tab in the wild, thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    $79 to the 9" $99 and it would have sold like hotcakes.
    And probably wouldn't see much if any of these except at this price.
    Splendidly put regarding your PM hypocrisy observation.

As to the main issue, all I'll say is that I certainly approve capitalist ambition, but there are just some folks who I sure wouldn't want to be stranded on a life raft with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Look out below Thelma and Louise!

I'm not trying to offend, but sometimes expressing differing viewpoints is appropriate in public forums, and other times, particularly when things get more heated or personal, private messages are more appropriate.

I don't think it is fair for you to feel free to make comments on the thread, but if anyone has an objection to what you said, they must only reply via PM. It sort of sounds like that is what you are suggesting. You may not have meant it in that way, but it seems to read that way. So, I agree and disagree with that viewpoint. I do think there is a proper way to respond in a public thread, but that certain things should be reserved for private conversations.

I'm sorry you are feeling attacked in your postings. One reason you feel that people take issue with a lot of your posts is because your posts might tend to be more provocative than the average. A provocative post encourages response...particularly from those whose opinion differs from yours. As an example, you said earlier you would buy up 10...it was only after someone expressed opposition to that concept when you said it was likely there would be a limit of 1 or 2 units per person. If you knew that from the outset, why did you choose to say you would get 10? You either deliberately or subconsciously chose to make a more provocative statement that would be more likely to get a response. So you shouldn't act surprised or offended. If such responses do offend, consider reducing the 'provocative' language or statements to something less likely to be misunderstood.

Regarding the issue of buying up multiple units of a very limited stock of a product highly sought after, I happen to think it is unkind to your fellow man, woman, child, nerd, etc. to buy up so many for the purpose of making a profit at the expense of others who might also have put in the effort but gotten there a few seconds behind you. But I agree with you that it is likely there will be a limit on what one person can purchase. I appreciate any authorized seller in taking that measure.

Profit can be good, but there are ways to earn profit that are not so cut-throat. I think it would be better to look out for our fellow man, woman, child, nerd...dog...etc., rather than find ways to maximize our profit at their expense. Profit, yes. Care for our human family (ok, you can include pets too...and maybe your favorite wild animal, but that's it!) is also important and should be considered in how we conduct ourselves in business and fun.

Did I dislodge too many rocks from the cliff? Sorry...I'm a bit fascinated with cliffs...can't resist going over them...if I'm rappelling! Of course, I enjoy going up and over them more!

Oh yeah, and to sort of steer this behemoth of a discussion back to the original topic...I wish I could take a quick trip to China and find one of these! I like the rubberized back idea for sure.

Cheers and always remember..."Don't worry...be happy!"
    Last edited by sq5; 09/21/2011 at 10:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Splendidly put regarding your PM hypocrisy observation.

As to the main issue, all I'll say is that I certainly approve capitalist ambition, but there are just some folks who I sure wouldn't want to be stranded on a life raft with.
    Why? Id sell you some of the fresh water, maybe.

Also, its not hypocritical at all with regards to PMing. I made a comment not responding to anyone but regarding the topic at hand. Others come in and respond to me, trying to derail the thread into discussing whether buying and selling more than you need is appropriate all while calling me names like "scumbag". So whatever, take the thread off a cliff if you want. I'd prefer not to ruin it for others who actually want to discuss the tablet.
    Why? Id sell you some of the fresh water, maybe.

Also, its not hypocritical at all with regards to PMing. I made a comment not responding to anyone but regarding the topic at hand. Others come in and respond to me, trying to derail the thread into discussing whether buying and selling more than you need is appropriate all while calling me names like "scumbag". So whatever, take the thread off a cliff if you want. I'd prefer not to ruin it for others who actually want to discuss the tablet.
    But you brought up the idea of buying more than you need. Well, I guess now you wish you didn't mention that since it has resulted in this diversion. I can understand you feeling that way. But don't forget, sometimes the trip down/off the cliff is where you make some interesting side discoveries...

LOUISE: HEY! DID YOU SEE THAT VEIN OF GOLD ON THE SIDE OF THAT CLIFF THELMA?

THELMA: WHERE?

LOUISE: RIGHT UP TH...CRASH!

I like to think there is a 'joy in the journey', as long as the journey is heading to someplace significant in some way. If we stop to smell the flowers, or check out a view, or pick up a rock to examine along the way...we'll still get there, maybe a little later than we planned, but we'll still get there...as long as we do before 2012 when the world ends. Uh...I'm just kidding about the world ending...just so you know. By the way, what kind of water you got for sale anyway? Evian? What year?

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

LOL, putting 10 items instead of 1 item in your browser when purchasing = working!
    un_designer likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It could well be - but the argument at the time was that HP wasn't putting it on because HP was smarter than the competition....

So bang goes that idea.
    I think it's ridiculous on a 10 inch, so I have to side with HP on that one. Too bulky to take a picture with and holding your huge tablet up in front of you face to take a picture with look foolish. You also miss what is going on outside of the shot. It's great for a phone, which is about the size of a camera. It's so so on a 7 inch. It still looks odd, but not as odd as on the ginormous 10 inch tablet. Even the reviews say it is ridiculous to have before slamming the TouchPad for not having it, which is very odd indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I think it's ridiculous on a 10 inch, so I have to side with HP on that one. Too bulky to take a picture with and holding your huge tablet up in front of you face to take a picture with look foolish. You also miss what is going on outside of the shot. It's great for a phone, which is about the size of a camera. It's so so on a 7 inch. It still looks odd, but not as odd as on the ginormous 10 inch tablet. Even the reviews say it is ridiculous to have before slamming the TouchPad for not having it, which is very odd indeed.
    Here's what I do...I go hiking to a beautiful view, or a lovely forest, or a cascading waterfall, and I hold up a 36" picture frame in front of me. That way, I see the most beautiful pictures wherever I go. Of course, I have several bevel-cut borders of all the primary and secondary colors to match any given view...my wife carries those. I learned to wear a 'cliff-proximity detector' after that 'incident' back in '07 when the edge of the frame obscured the edge of the cliff. Oh well, at least it was a beautiful fast-motion view of the cliff on the way down!

I think I mentioned this in another thread a month or so ago, but in July, my wife and I were hiking to the top of Mount Mitchell (North Carolina, highest point east of the Mississippi River) and there actually was a fellow holding an iPad (2 or 1, I don't know) in front of his face as he walked up the trail. I don't know if he was taking video or photo, but it looked really...trying to be nice here...but failing...stupid.

Makes me sad. I was planning on getting the 7" model ever since they announced they were making WebOS tablets. The touchpad is great, but the 7" would have been perfect for me. Oh well.
    garnetlove likes this.
    Doesn't look right to me. Maybe it's because it's a pre production model but I don't think I'd buy it on appearance.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12