webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Hp touchpad doesnt boot, wont charge to 25%, Please read
Hp touchpad doesnt boot, wont charge to 25%, Please read
Like Tree8Likes

Old 09/19/2011, 06:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

late last week i was notified that there was an update for the kernel i was using. I downloaded it and all hell broke loose. The shut down menu was no more... luna restart, restart, shut down, ect were all gone. The following night as i was playing angry birds hd the sound out of no where started turning up. The Volume icon stayed on the screen perminently. I went into settings and turned down the volume only to see it move right back up to max. I decided to let the battery run out as i thought that might fix the problem, but boy was i wrong. I tried charging it and it would charge a few percent and then go into usb mode. a usb logo would show on the screen constantly. I tried rebooting to no avail using the top button and the center button, but all it did was restart, show the hp logo for 1/4 second and then show the usb logo again.

Whenever i try charging it 9/10 it goes straight to usb mode even when its plugged into the wall. I was able to get it up to 21% the other day but no further. webosdoctor requires at least 25% so i cant even use that program currently. is my touchpad permabricked?

edit: I really want to get this thing figured out as quickly as possible if possible. I have very little energy due to the fact i am recovering from cancer. I dont leave the house so my friends bought me this thing as a way to stay in touch. will paypal 15$ to the person who finally fixes this thing for me. srs

Last edited by Marketpantry; 09/19/2011 at 08:22 AM.
Marketpantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Did you remove the kernel that started the whole issue? If so and things still bad doctor your touchpad.
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
Did you remove the kernel that started the whole issue? If so and things still bad doctor your touchpad.
i did not remove the kernel. The problem is i cant get it to boot up, nor can i get it to 25% which is what webosdoctor requires.... what can i do? will buying a touchstone help? i hear that theres actually information inthe boot log for the touchstone to be effective.. if the boot is screwed how couldi even use a touch stone?
Old 09/19/2011, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

I`d assume your vol up button is stuck since you need to press that button to get into recovery mode when you need to use the webosdoctor. try to play with the button and see if anything changes when you connect the charger.
heino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heino View Post
I`d assume your vol up button is stuck since you need to press that button to get into recovery mode when you need to use the webosdoctor. try to play with the button and see if anything changes when you connect the charger.
so wait... you hav tyo set it in recovery mode before connecting it to the computer for webosdoctor?
Old 09/19/2011, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

i used duct tape on it. its currently showing the battery symbol, but imnot out of the woods yet. the last time it lasted this long it cut out at 21%.

had it charging then it went to usb icon...
edit: fuuuuuuuuu it stopped

how can i avoid this?

Last edited by Marketpantry; 09/19/2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09/19/2011, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketpantry View Post
i used duct tape on it. its currently showing the battery symbol, but imnot out of the woods yet. the last time it lasted this long it cut out at 21%
You used DUCT TAPE on your TouchPad?!?!

I would never do that.

How To Recover - WebOS Internals

Quote:
Originally Posted by How To Recover - WebOS Internals
Doctor disconnects at 8%

If the webOS Doctor continually disconnects at 8%, then you probably have a corrupted USB drive. This is how you can fix that (note that this will completely and utterly destroy all data on the USB drive).
If you are reading this following an interrupted webOS Doctor, you might want to try to extract the installer uImage from the version that was there before the interrupted procedure. For example if you were upgrading from webOS 2.0.0 to webOS 2.1.0, you might want to try the uImage from the 2.0.0 webOS Doctor jar.
First put the device into recovery mode, then memboot the device using the installer uImage (extracted from your webOS Doctor jar):
novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage After it boots, run novaterm:
novaterm Once connected to the device, type:
lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure then type:
mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media Once that completes, put the device back into recovery mode and run the webOS Doctor.

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

What on earth did you duct tape?

You don't need to hold the volume button non-stop .

Also, if it has trouble again, make sure your charger is properly seated (the base that plugs into the wall can be split into two pieces, you can twist it tight to lock it in again, it may be making a poor connection because of this).

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

If you find anything I do here is useful, please feel free to
!!!

Long Live webOS and our Palm gear!
ncinerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
You used DUCT TAPE on your TouchPad?!?!

I would never do that.

How To Recover - WebOS Internals
The charging stops early... i never get to the webosdoctor part... what should i do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

Also, if it has trouble again, make sure your charger is properly seated (the base that plugs into the wall can be split into two pieces, you can twist it tight to lock it in again, it may be making a poor connection because of this).

it was sitting in the exact same spot charging just a minute ago before it showed the usb icond again.
Old 09/19/2011, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketpantry View Post
The charging stops early... i never get to the webosdoctor part... what should i do?
If you don't see the 'next' button in the webos doctor, you need to restart your novacom drivers.

Close the doctor, and open the windows 'Task Manager.'
Go to the services tab.
Find 'novacomd.' Right click, select stop service. Right click again, and select start service.
Re-run the doctor.

You need to be persistent w/ the doctor.
I've heard stories that some people need to leave it on for many hours to get it to work.

If it keeps failing, please read the page 'how to recover' and me or someone else can possibly help walk you through it.

Old 09/19/2011, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
If you don't see the 'next' button in the webos doctor, you need to restart your novacom drivers.

Close the doctor, and open the windows 'Task Manager.'
Go to the services tab.
Find 'novacomd.' Right click, select stop service. Right click again, and select start service.
Re-run the doctor.

You need to be persistent w/ the doctor.
I've heard stories that some people need to leave it on for many hours to get it to work.

If it keeps failing, please read the page 'how to recover' and me or someone else can possibly help walk you through it.
I havent been able to get it to the 25% required by that program though.
So even though i updated a kernel and that likely caused the issues im having now... i will be able to fix this? in other words i couldnt have bricked it? would i be able to use the touchstone to charge it without having the issues i am having now? i ask this because my touchstone will be coming within a week.
Old 09/19/2011, 10:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The doctor erases everything.

The steps on the 'How to Recover' page walk you through a process that should recover your device under 99% of circumstances. These steps include: 1. Membooting. You insert the stock kernel from the doctor into the kernel on your touchpad. 2. Override partition lock failure. 3. Running the webos doctor. These are my words, not WebOS Internals. These steps are outlined on the recovery page. You will need to gain command line access to your touchpad.

1. follow these steps:
Quote:
If your PC does not recognize your device and you cannot go past step 3 above, try the following steps:

Disconnect the USB cable
Completely power off the device (hold down the power button until the option to power off appears)
Connect the USB cable and wait for the battery image to appear on the screen (or wait around 10-15 seconds)
Hold down the Up button on the volume rocker
While holding the Up button, insert the battery. The USB logo will appear on the screen
2. Make sure you have the most current novacom drivers installed (should already be installed)
3. Connect the TouchPad to your PC via usb cord
4. Open CMD from the windows start menu
5. Follow the steps under the headline "Doctor disconnects at 8%" on the Wiki page. You will need to find the kernel inside the touchpad webos doctor. extract the doctor with winrar or similar tool, and look inside bin/share or similar location and look for a file nova-installer-image-castle.uImage

Old 09/19/2011, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Afaik it charges in USB mode as well. Leave it on USB mode with charger connected for some hours.
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 and Marketpantry like this.
Old 09/20/2011, 05:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

i pressed duct tape on and aroubnd the button. i rubbed it into the groove really well and waited a few min then gently pulled it off. no sticky residue was left. I use duct tape all of the time for when i get splinters or glass in me. it works like a charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
Afaik it charges in USB mode as well. Leave it on USB mode with charger connected for some hours.
i just plugged it in again and its showing the battery right now. i know itll switch to the usb symbol as it has in the past... but ill leave it in overnight to test out your assumption.

edit: just turned into the usb symbol

Last edited by Marketpantry; 09/20/2011 at 05:32 AM.
Liked by cme4oil likes this.
Old 09/20/2011, 05:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

if your using the supplied usb cable , they are no good and may eventually make poor connection, had similar issue with my microusb till i tried another 1
ZenmasteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Marketpantry likes this.
Old 09/20/2011, 05:30 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenmasteR View Post
if your using the supplied usb cable , they are no good and may eventually make poor connection, had similar issue with my microusb till i tried another 1
whats the exact name of that type of cable? i can go out and buy it online

is this it?

Last edited by Marketpantry; 09/20/2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09/20/2011, 05:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenmasteR View Post
Not quite sure where you are getting this information. The supplied cable has always worked perfectly for me.

Old 09/20/2011, 05:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Not quite sure where you are getting this information. The supplied cable has always worked perfectly for me.
lame.. i was hoping he was right
Old 09/20/2011, 06:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Let the device charge overnight plugged into the wall charger.

Then run webOSdoc.

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

If you find anything I do here is useful, please feel free to
!!!

Long Live webOS and our Palm gear!
ncinerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2011, 06:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Let the device charge overnight plugged into the wall charger.

Then run webOSdoc.
i will, but im on the phone with hp. they checked with their engineer and stated it does not charge in usb mode what so ever.

the problem is i installed a kernel... if i ship it to them my warranty is voided.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0