Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DrPotoroo
  • 1 Post By kayphoonstar
  • 1 Post By nori_pad
  1.    #1  
    There've been some mentions of successfully printing using CUPS, but as yet I haven't seen anyone give the steps they used to get CUPS working. Here is what I have done:

dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
    ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
    (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/Re...un_in_a_chroot about these two steps - cups will otherwise fail to install)
    apt-get install cups
    apt-get install system-config-printer-gnome

After these have installed, you may have to start cups manually:

cupsd &

Then run:

system-config-printer-gnome

And add a printer using the window that opens. This successfully printed for me on a Epson Stylus Office TX610FW
    geekpeter likes this.
    Thanks for this. I'll be giving it a try. I got cups to install, but couldn't access localhost:631 to get it set up.

I've been going back an forth between Debian & Ubuntu and I have to say that printing is just one more thing that just "works" in the Debian chroot - another is the java browser plugin - but takes a a lot of wrangling in Ubuntu.

EDIT: Awesome! The applet works!. The cups page also loads. Thanks.
    Last edited by kayphoonstar; 09/19/2011 at 02:36 AM.
    scunacc1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
    After these have installed, you may have to start cups manually:

cupsd &

Then run:

system-config-printer-gnome
    use instead:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/cupsd &

sudo system-config-printer
    cheers
    scunacc1 likes this.
    Needed hpijs for my HP printer too, but, this was all good info. and help. Thank you one and all. Now I have Xournal running *and printing* - and it is the best app for whiteboarding on the Touchpad - far better and more responsive than *any* of the paid-for or free apps on WebOS.

Kind regards

D.
    With the above posting I was finally able to get cups running and in turn get sane/XSane working as well.

The only question I have now is that I noticed that after a Touchpad reboot/restart the cups server is not running after the reboot and restart of Ubuntu. I can restart it using:

/usr/sbin/cupsd &

Is there away to add the commands into one of the startup scripts. Not sure where it could go.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Hi Cracks,

I installed Ubuntu Chroot 11.04, Ubuntu 11.04 an installed Cups as explainend here in the forums.
    Ubuntu is working good, but i couldnt test the function of cups until now.
    Now i tried to install the driver for my WLAN-Printer, since it is not in the Cups-Database yet. It is a Brother-Ink-Printer with WLAN-Access and there are Linux drivers on the Brother homepage. These Drivers has 386 in the names an of course there are also 64.bit-drivers but no drivers for the ARM cpus.

Is there a Way to get these Printers (i have another Brother LAN-Printer at Work) to work. Perhaps with the use of with a generic PS-Printerdriver and PPD-Files.
    If yes, is there someone out there to explain this in easy steps.

Thanks in advance

Achim