1.    #1  
    starts?
    you shouldn't have to, but you also shouldn't have to power it off.
    first time I started minewhen it was brand new out of the box I tapped the power button and it didn't do anything for probably about 15 seconds then it lit right up. Afterwards I only ever turned it on by holding the button until it lit, seems to be faster. Not really empirical evidence. Now I pretty much only use the "device restart" button on the patch that adds m ore shutdown options.

I rarely ever need to do that though unless I'm installing some patch that requires it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
    Am I just impatient or, indeed you have to hold the power button in until the TP starts?
    The first time yes, but after that you should just be able to tap the power button to turn it on and off.
  5.    #5  
    So I figured this out! I've been turning it off via: Device Information>Reset Options>Shut Down>Shut Down! Now if you just hit the power button to shut down it will then restart by just tapping it. So the question begs to be asked. Is there any (or more) power consumption while off, if turned off with the button compared to using Device Info?
    Tapping the power button puts it in/out sleep mode [think Standby on a pc] If it is fully off you gotta hold the power button about 5 secs you til the HP boot logo appears. Fully off saves max battery life....but most prefer standby because it is ready at a moment's notice. If I were traveling w no power available for a few days I,
    'd turn it off overnight. Besides that put'r in sleep mode.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by redfarm View Post
    Tapping the power button puts it in/out sleep mode [think Standby on a pc] If it is fully off you gotta hold the power button about 5 secs you til the HP boot logo appears. Fully off saves max battery life....but most prefer standby because it is ready at a moment's notice. If I were traveling w no power available for a few days I,
    'd turn it off overnight. Besides that put'r in sleep mode.
    That is what I was figuring was going on! Thank you all for the replies!