Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I just got off the phone with a level 2 tech for HP who told me that they are no longer offering the Advanced Damage Plan (ADP) as a fix for speaker cracks! He said they "ran out" last week. I asked him how you run out of a service and he explained that for every ADP given out they have to put a hold on a replacement touchpad, and there simply are not any left. My cracks are not that bad at the moment so I don't really feel like sending it out yet. The tech assured me that they will definitely be able to repair my unit under the warranty right up until the 1 year mark. I obviously have my suspicions being that I don't know where parts are going to be coming from at that point. So I guess I will just have to wait and see.
    Does anyone know, if you try to glue the cracks as some have suggested, does that void the warranty?
    Get it fixed now before they run out of replacements/parts. $99 refund isn't going to be helpful, especially if your left with TouchPad accessories and no TouchPad
    Dont fix it with glue, they could and probably will void the warranty, as they could say the glue has weekend the plastic etc
    My "fix" is the HP TouchPad Case. It's form fitting. HOPEFULLY that will stop the crack from spreading. I'm not sending it back, I'd rather have my TP the way it is than them send me $100 refund after they can't fix it and won't send it back...
    I have the Touchpad case from HP but it doesn't cover the speaker area so I don't know how that will help anyone with cracks.

What about putting a skin that covers the sides and corners? Does anyone that is having this problem think a skin would help that area?
    What about the Squaretrade warranty? Wouldn't it be a better deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by wilburjoe View Post
    I have the Touchpad case from HP but it doesn't cover the speaker area so I don't know how that will help anyone with cracks.

What about putting a skin that covers the sides and corners? Does anyone that is having this problem think a skin would help that area?
    I dont know if the majority of the cracks are caused by direct impact to the area. It sounds like the area with the cracks are just super thin and weak and they're stress cracks in all the weak points of the plastic, due to the flex of the back cover by handling it with 1 hand, holding it with 2 hands at one end (bends due the weight, very minute but still). The fact that the 3 areas are all the same for each touchpad, I think indicates a structural flaw. A cover would help in that case cause you're not applying flex or pressure to the actual tablet as you would if you just held it in your bare hands with fingers pressing into all the contact points.

I proposed that maybe a good tough VINYL skin that wraps the back and sides such as the Skinomi (I think that's the brand?) can be a possible preventative measure that may help SOMEWHAT. It won't make the weak points any stronger per se, but imagine taping the entire back of the touchpad up with some heavy duty duct tape. An adhesive cover still might give some cohesion and make it less likely to crack. Or at least once a crack forms, stop it from spreading due to the TIGHT fit and casting by the vinyl. Seriously the vinyl skins are some really adjustable and tight-fitting covers.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilburjoe View Post
    What about the Squaretrade warranty? Wouldn't it be a better deal?
    Could be if you have a Discover Card. You can get 3 year coverage for a $149 electronic item for $30. Plus their's ShopDiscover's 5% cash back bonus.
    I've been using a case since day 1. I don't have any cracks.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    I have 4 of them and not a single crack. All of them have cases. I am curious just how common this is.
    HP case... no cracks
  12.    #12  
    I have been using an HP folio case since day one, and I baby my TP, this is not the issue. It is simply a manufacturing defect, a fact which HP freely admitted to me when I called them. I do not know if it will happen to all TPs but for some it is simply unavoidable :-\
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    They can discontinue the product, but they can't discontinue service. US law requires any discontinued electronics to be serviced for 7 years. They will have to do runs with Foxconn and whoever made the plastic backing just to have parts available.
    I have mine in the HP case and tbh if I get stress cracks I won't be overly bothered and won't be sending it back

I bought another case over the weekend, a HP case for Netbooks from ASDA (Walmart for those across the pond) cost 12 pounds but is a neoprene case with a soft fur type lining very nice and the touchpad in its case fits perfectly
    I have more cracks than my Touchpad.
    Dis likes this.
    So is the solution to cracks officially just a replacement case? What did you mean that the case will cover the warranty (cosmetic)?

Can we call HP and get a "preemptive" case so it prevents cracks from occurring in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by kettlecorn View Post
    So is the solution to cracks officially just a replacement case? What did you mean that the case will cover the warranty (cosmetic)?

Can we call HP and get a "preemptive" case so it prevents cracks from occurring in the first place?
    A bit like Apple have done for all the MacBooks bought from October 2009 (or thereabouts)
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I have the HP case, and a crack at the speaker.
    cracks are caused by holding the touchpad in portrait mode, just like the USB door cracks are caused by trying to open the USB door with the pre in closed slider position.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I've been using a case since day 1. I don't have any cracks.
    I have had a case on it the majority of the time I've owned it, and I discovered a crack today.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast