Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree3Likes
    I think Gorilla Glue is really good. I have used it successfully for other plastic repairs, and while you really have to wear rubber gloves and be careful in the application to make sure all the contact surfaces are lightly wet before applying, the results are solid and last a long time.

For now, I am holding the TP speakers up in landscape whenever possible so my hands aren't pressed around the speakers. So far no cracks, but I am not sending mine back if it cracks. Just looking at the design - it is pretty obvious that the reason this is occurring so regularly is that the plastic case is just not strong enough to take being regularly held with the speakers on the bottom in landscape. The more you hold it with the speakers down the more likely it is to crack. Even if you aren't holding the TP anywhere near the speaker holes you are holding it at the bottom corners near those holes and flexing the plastic near the bottom. Unfortunately, video requires speakers down and so do some games, along with the Touchstone. But I now charge in portrait mode on the Touchstone and try to play videos with the TP sitting on something using the case to stand it up, so I am not holding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    Epoxy glue is just a resin, ie a substance that sets real hard. Its bonding efficiency to plastic is dependant on how mechanically rough the surface is. Smooth plastic will make a poor joint.
    While absolutely true in theory (a roughened surface does provide better bonding than a smooth one), my practical experience tells me that 'normal' smooth surfaces are rough/porous enough to provide sufficient purchase for epoxy to bond like James. I've glued a few smooth plastics to each other and to smooth metal in the past and epoxy has always done the job, and done it well. I even glued me a paddle last year that I truthfully didn't expect to stay glued for long, especially because I was skeptical about the fact that it'd be, you know, under water a lot of the time... But what started out as an emergency "there, I fixed it" repair job has held up really well all through a whole boating season.
    Most surfaces that appear perfectly smooth to the eye are in fact porous under magnification, at least porous enough to provide epoxy with something to work with, and I wouldn't bet against the TouchPad's plastic being among them. Especially not the surface WITHIN a crack, which should be quite rough.

In fact, if you recently renovated or built a house, you might know that you can get "regular" sinks, bathtubs and toilet bowls for normal money - and that a premium will buy you ones made with a super-smooth anti-cling ceramic coating that effectively repels dirt. It would probably be the very buggery to glue an item like that without taking a sander to it (i.e. destroying the surface). But regular old plastics usually take well to epoxy gluing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    Looking at the plastic on my touchpad, I suspect that the best type of glue is one specifically designed for plastic that effectively "dissolves" the plastic at the bonding surface.
    I was suspecting the same thing. The two types of solvent glue I'm aware of are "model glue" designed for polystyrene plastics and PVC cement intended for gluing PVC pipe. I've had success with PVC cement on consumer plastics. The joint is very strong since it is essentially a chemical weld.

I'd like to test out PVC glue on a bare spot on my touchpad but there isn't any. Anyone want to volunteer?
    Just got a small crack by one of the speakers. Never dropped and in the Folio case since day one. I've already spoken with HP CS, but I'm not sure I want to send it back right now.
    I agree that PVC cement would probably make a better bond in theory, since I think it does bind the two pieces together at the molecular level. I've only used PVC cement once or twice but I'm still leaning towards epoxy for 2 reasons.

1) I think PVC cement only works for actual polyvinyl chloride and not just any plastic in general. Since I don't know what type of plastic they used to make the touchpad, I'm hesitant to use such a specific product.

2) In my recollection, PVC cement is rather runny (and purple ) whereas epoxy is very thick. I'd be worried that the PVC cement would drip into the TP innards and kill it.

For my job, I've glued a lot of things together with lots of different adhesives and I've always had good luck with epoxy (even for things that get dunked into the ocean and dragged through saltwater). However, I'm not a chemist or an adhesives expert so I'm happy to hear other suggestions.
    Last edited by punkinholler; 10/20/2011 at 03:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsunisan View Post
    dust magnet? Its a tpu case, not rubber, right? I put tpu cases on all of my phones and my kindle, haven't had any problems at all.
    Your right. I haven't had a problem with dust on the black TPU case. After using both the clear and black case, I recommend the black case. The black looks very nice, provides some protection, and gives the touchpad some grip to the back. Also covers up any cracks perfectly.

For under $10 I suggest everyone that has cracks on their touchpad give it a try before complaining to HP. I also highly recommend this case for anyone who doesn't have cracks as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20
    Last edited by eRob; 10/24/2011 at 08:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    I've been using a case since day 1. I don't have any cracks.
    I purchased with the case and IMMEDIATELY put the case on so I wouldn't get any fingerprints on mine. I discovered cracks beginning at the speakers and spreading upwards to the bevel about two-three weeks ago. I also first noticed distortion in the sound which first caused me to investigate. Fortunately, I haven't noticed that very often.

I think this is caused by the fact that the TouchStone charger instructs to stand the TouchPad on the edge where the speakers are positioned. This seemed illogical to me, but the instructions stated not to do otherwise so I followed instructions.

I haven't called HP yet on this - tried today but their call system says they're closed on Sundays, despite the fact that their support paperwork included with the TouchPad says that they're open 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Pacific on Sundays. Perhaps they got confused this weekend with the change from PDT to PST. (I called at 12:00 PST - they should definitely be open.)

I didn't purchase the warranty because I bought it on firesale and didn't expect a warranty to be honored. Do you have to have a warranty to get it fixed? I purchased it in August - it's ridiculous that it should be damaged by now and it seems to me that this is a result of a design flaw, not operator error.

Thanks and good luck!

Bonnie Rory
    No, the warranty covers accidental damage. The speakers are a manufacturing defect.
    I've had my TouchPad for almost 2 weeks and both of my speakers have started to crack. I've never dropped it and can't believe it's starting to happen, reminds me of my original Pre's cracks near the microUSB port.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by punkinholler View Post
    With all this discussion of gluing things, I feel compelled to mention that garden variety superglue does not bond well with plastic. I believe there may be some specialized formulations of superglue that work better with plastics but epoxy is usually the best way to go. I have a small speaker crack and I plan to seal it with epoxy (using a small paintbrush) and I'm also going to try painting the plastic around both speakers with more epoxy to reinforce it and hopefully prevent future cracking. It probably won't be pretty but I think it should work.
    if you do ANYTHING grab some shoogoo.. as it cures it smooths out and looks great and will provide a TON of extra support in this area if you want. This will 'glue' as well as add a layer of protection. I use this on plastics all the time, nothing comes close.
    I emailed my contact @ HP about this and included these pics to show him. Fire sale or no fire sale this is not acceptable. It's less than 2 weeks old and the cracks are only going to get worse and travel to the screen just like it did with the Pre. I'll post a follow up when I hear from my contact @ HP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I emailed my contact @ HP about this and included these pics to show him. Fire sale or no fire sale this is not acceptable. It's less than 2 weeks old and the cracks are only going to get worse and travel to the screen just like it did with the Pre. I'll post a follow up when I hear from my contact @ HP.
    Dude mine is the same exact way. It actually was cracking whole being held. *** no way would I have paid full price for this.

sent from my thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    It's a design issue with out a doubt.... but iMO it is caused from people picking up the device in the corner only.. on the speaker side. I've done it myself a few times and noticed the pressure it puts on that area as the weight of the device is all focused there.

If you want to keep these from breaking don't pick up the device by one corner, easy fix for long term enjoyment
    Just heard back from HP and they are replacing it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    i called hp and they are going to repair it. They are sending me a prepaid box. Repair is said to be less than 2 weeks.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234