Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I have the HP Touchpad Case on all 3 of my TPs and I now see that 2 of the 3 have speaker cracks. Mine has a severe crack from the corner of one and a hairline crack from the middle of the other. I put scotch tape over each to keep them from getting snagged. Getting a little worried.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Can someone post some photos of these cracks?

Thanks.
    Mine has been in the case since the moment I took it out of the box. I have not dropped and treated it very well. I was skeptical of all the crack posts on here but finally decided to look last week - and I've got cracks at both speakers. And, they have spread. It is obviously a manufacturing or design defect, and too bad as well. I don't understand how they couldn't have discovered this defect on prototypes they had unless it was just a running production problem that wasn't in any of the pre-production devices. Maybe some insider at Hp can comment on here.
    Have TP in a case have speaker cracks.........................now what............
    Uh, don't lie. I just got my replacement TP today. My brother just sent back his cracked TP.
    I believe its refurbished but this TouchPad is far and away better than my old one. My old one had about every issue known to TP on it. This one does not have the issues.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Yeah seeing how its mostly cosmetic I said whatever and super glued it. The other speaker is cracking more, but I didn't want to deal with HP support, might call them for another free case. I figure gluing is avoiding the warranty but I plan to add Android to the touchpad so I was already going that route anyway. Other than the crack, this touchpad is great, so I didn't want to be one of those unlucky people who got crappier screened touchpad replacement.
    Anyone know if HP will transfer the ADP from one TouchPad to another? Getting rid of my cracked 16GB in lieu of a 32GB and would love to take my ADP along for the ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by zefyx View Post
    Anyone know if HP will transfer the ADP from one TouchPad to another? Getting rid of my cracked 16GB in lieu of a 32GB and would love to take my ADP along for the ride.
    doubtful unless they're doing the swap
    Does anyone know what HP is doing for a repair when you send in your TP due to a cracked case? New case or some kind of repair to your existing case?

My TP has been in the HP folio case since day one. A crack just appeared near the right speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by sm007h View Post
    doubtful unless they're doing the swap
    Spoke with a rep and in the HP ecosystem, it was transferred along with my profile, to the new TouchPad when I swapped TouchPads. I cleared the profile on the original TouchPad and logged in using my Palm Profile on the replacement TouchPad. For some reason unknown to me and the rep, I'm told upon opening the HP Care Pack app that I'm not eligible to purchase the ADP and that I should contact support.

Oh well, support says their systems are showing ADP on the 32GB. My new TouchPad with the best screen, best battery, and intermediate storage space. Hooray!
    Just found a crack in mine today. To those of you who decided to glue/tape/other yours, how are things holding up?
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitybronze View Post
    Just found a crack in mine today. To those of you who decided to glue/tape/other yours, how are things holding up?
    How long have you had yours?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    This is the case you need for covering up the cracks.

Black: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20

Clear: http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Protect...bosnation0e-20

I own the clear case and have the black one on order. Looks great and gives some protection.
    I can't see trying to put super glue or anything else on the cracks as I am concerned that it may effect the warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by eRob View Post
    This is the case you need for covering up the cracks.

Black: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T4TCJW

Clear: Amazon.com: Poetic(TM) Protective TPU Skin Case Crystal Clear for HP Touchpad Tablet Wi-Fi 16GB, 32GB: Electronics

I own the clear case and have the black one on order. Looks great and gives some protection.
    I recevied the black TPU case and returned it after two days.
    It looks okay, but I cannot live with a dust magnet...
    dust magnet? Its a tpu case, not rubber, right? I put tpu cases on all of my phones and my kindle, haven't had any problems at all.
    I have seen so many cracked case threads and not 1 picture.
    With all this discussion of gluing things, I feel compelled to mention that garden variety superglue does not bond well with plastic. I believe there may be some specialized formulations of superglue that work better with plastics but epoxy is usually the best way to go. I have a small speaker crack and I plan to seal it with epoxy (using a small paintbrush) and I'm also going to try painting the plastic around both speakers with more epoxy to reinforce it and hopefully prevent future cracking. It probably won't be pretty but I think it should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by punkinholler View Post
    With all this discussion of gluing things, I feel compelled to mention that garden variety superglue does not bond well with plastic. I believe there may be some specialized formulations of superglue that work better with plastics but epoxy is usually the best way to go. I have a small speaker crack and I plan to seal it with epoxy (using a small paintbrush) and I'm also going to try painting the plastic around both speakers with more epoxy to reinforce it and hopefully prevent future cracking. It probably won't be pretty but I think it should work.
    Looking at the plastic on my touchpad, I suspect that the best type of glue is one specifically designed for plastic that effectively "dissolves" the plastic at the bonding surface. This type of glue has a strong solvent in it.
    Epoxy glue is just a resin, ie a substance that sets real hard. Its bonding efficiency to plastic is dependant on how mechanically rough the surface is. Smooth plastic will make a poor joint.
    ZombieElvis likes this.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast