1.    #1  
    So, we all know HP says the will continue to support WebOS, but, what do people really think the odds are that HP will push out any OTA updates, and for how long? Curious...
    IMO it gets slimmer and slimmer every day on how many and the significance of future updates. I think we will see one more minor update and that will be it.
    I'll say maybe major updates in the next six months and at the most minor updates 12 months from release date
    Dev team is still tweeting, apps are getting updates, I would say we have at the very least 1 more update left. (personally thinking and hoping its more than 1)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    HP are currently fully commited to WebOS if their news is to be believed. The software team have been "moved" to within the software tower as part of this.

As the Touchpad is the only device in the wild really running the software (ok - so there is the Pre range as well) then there will be further releases in the short term to prove this committment. However, if WebOS is licenced onto another platform or put onto HP Laptops and Printers as originally committed then I will guess the interest in producing Touchpad versions will wane.
    Well, HP is a huge company and what we are really talking about is revising the OS. So, basically you keep 3 coders on staff. One for OS streamlining, one for internal app tweaks like email client and browser and one for apps. That costs them say 200k/yr to keep 1M customers happy. Then they can attempt to recoup some costs with paid apps. The apps pay for maybe 15% of those salaries.

Bottom-line....... We get one major update and 1-2 minis cause that is free advertising for HP.
    It wouldn't surprise me to see at least one more update, maybe more. Really not sure if any future updates will be significant or not.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think we will get updates but... one of the problems with HP dropping WebOS hardware in the way that it does is that your top guys, like in any field, want to compete with the best and you can't do that on an OS with an uncertain future. So I would think that anyone with talent will be getting out.