Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Well, I will probably be extremely mad at HP if I don't get my touchpad which I ordered before the cut off and was told that 6-8 weeks from the day I ordered it, I would receive. You would think they would give the touchpads to the consumers who have already purchased them before giving first dibs to the employees, right? How far do the 200,000 TP's go? People have already started receiving their Saturday 8/20 evening orders, was this part of the 200,000 being manufactured or did they already have those?
    If this is true then it cements that HP is a stupid company and deserves to fail. They had their customer relations person tweeting:

Twitter

and

Twitter

and then an official posting on their site:

HP Communities - More TouchPads on the Way - HP Communities

where the key line is:

We do know that it will be at least a few weeks before you can purchase.
    Nothing like repeatedly telling people they will get a chance to buy your products again in the near future and then suddenly saying, "lol, jk".
    As far as I'm concerned, HP has lied from day 1 about the TouchPads to me. Bryna is a joke, I don't know who gave her a job or why she still has it. #staycoolmybabies
    I spoke to a level 2 tech today about my speaker cracks. I was trying to get the 1yr Advanced Damage Plan (ADP) but he told me they were all out. I asked how they can be out of a service and he told me that for every ADP they give out they have to put a hold on a Touchpad. So there could very likely be a huge stockpile of Touchpads being held to satisfy warranty or ADP issues on top of everything else. I'm sure glad I nabbed one at BB during the firesale. Just hoping these cracks don't get much worse though...
    HP is not going to be in the Touchpad or Pre business anymore. They are being more than accommodating building more Touchpads at a significant loss.

Nobody would want a real $99 tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, HP has lied from day 1 about the TouchPads to me. Bryna is a joke, I don't know who gave her a job or why she still has it. #staycoolmybabies
    Staycoolmybabies posted from Byrnas touchpad I'm sure. Some bs

sent from my thunderbolt
    Thanks for the heads up. Also, they have to account for refunds and returns or repairs to a certain extent, and yes of course the preorders and employees.

I like how people on craigslist make these postings trying to dissuade sales of HP touchpad at a premium and they have NOOOO idea about the economics of supply and demand. I just saw one that said "Don't be stupid and buy a touchpad for $200! HP will be releasing 200k more! Don't support these guys!" and I just shook my head. The Hp touchpad's RAW materials costs are in the $300's and it's competitors with the same hardware specs are going for $300-600 and people feel that they are ENTITLED to a $99 deal, not accounting for scarcity.

If you haven't got one, I would suggest just getting one at $200 for a 16gb or $230-280 for a 32gb right now cause chances are the prices will rise or stay the same even after HP releases the rest. Certainly will not drop below $200 cause that's the base price for someone who paid retail $99 and tax and put in some work finding it, ordering it, etc.

The same phenomenon occurred when Apple released the Ipad2. Anyone remember this? The used markets got a huge influx from the dumping of Ipad1, and when apple lowered their Ipad 1 refurb prices to $299, the cost of Ipad1 went down to sub-$300. Then the market stabilized and now look, try getting a great condition Ipad 1 for under $300-350 now.
    Another reason why Leo is a joke and he makes impulsive decisions. How is it that people who ordered from HB SMB still haven't gotten their orders yet. It goes to show how they weren't even prepared to deal with the flood of orders.

If this whole thing was well thought out, retailers would have also been given enough time to prepare for the madness, which would have resulted in less order cancellations. A limit could have been put in place as well so hoarders wouldn't be having a field day on eBay.

Now it appears all the new inventory will be gobbled up by HP employees & people with existing orders. I'm glad I was able to get one through QVC last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsy1258 View Post
    Staycoolmybabies posted from Byrnas touchpad I'm sure. Some bs
    Not according to her Twitter account - she's posting on a:

@BrynaAtHp
    I survived the coffee bomb on my HP Probook this morn September 16, 2011 - bryna's photo on picplz But now some keys R sticking. LikeSpaceBar. Pro? GoodForHashtags
    2 days ago

But then again just 2 days ago on Twitter , she's still saying:

@BrynaAtHp
    For the TouchPad or else gang, U know the drill these days. For answers to FAQs; HP Communities - More TouchPads on the Way - HP Communities and keep looking @ other retailers 2

So it's an either or situation. She's quoting the HP company line but saying Look Somewhere Else if you want a TouchPad.

I - for one - would just like a straight answer as a HP Small Business customer as to where is my TouchPad? And WHEN is it shipping?

They initially danced around and said they had to build some to fill the orders from the Fire Sale. When I called and asked why TigerDirect and QVC all of the sudden had some to sell last weekend and HPSB couldn't fill my order? Were they selling some to Big Business and overlooking the Little People? They said no.

There are some partial orders still pending and being shipped at HPSB according to the thread here at PreCentral.

I think HPSB has let a lot of us down.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTreo View Post
    The ones that are already sold or spoken for are the orders that were placed on the HP website on or prior to 8/22/11. Many of those folks have not received their TP's but were assured by HP that under the next production run they indeed would.

Hp is building new TP's to sidestep the early termination clause in the contract with FoxConn which I am sure is a hefty cost. So it is a good move on HP's part to use up the remaining inventory stock pile of parts and in turn satisfy as many of the pending orders as possible from the HP store queue.

My point is I believe not everyone who has already ordered from HP directly is going to get a TP or maybe HP will retroactively allow only each household to order one so the entire backlog can be filled by adjusting the existing orders (FYI I am sure some have a order pending for 10+ TP's). Regardless it is going to be crazy and I believe those waiting on the sidelines will get the short end of the stick including some if have received confirmation orders from HP> I think it will be a travesty if some of those folks who ordered from HP the day the sale was announced don't get a TP; sadly I think it is probable.

Lastly I have been around since 2002, never once have I spread a rumor so once again take it or leave it; I am merely relaying information that was relayed to me.
    Last time I checked, the Touchpad was being developed and manufactured by Inventec Corporation, not Foxconn............you sure of your facts?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Here's an article from Maximum PC saying that the remaining Touchpads will be sold internally:

Maximum PC | HP Plans To Sell Remaining Touchpad
    I was reading the Glassdoor yesterday and saw some recent employee comments about HP. Generally, it went like this:

Pros:
    - Big company, good opportunities, helps resume.

Cons:
    - Too big, depts do not communicate within, no reward for hard work, bonuses and raises have been non-existent over the last few years. Morale is low. Fire Apotheker.

One comment I read was that HP did not even give employees a first shot at the firesale Touchpads. We can dismiss this comment but I would probably feel the same way if I were an HP employee right now and going through all this internal turmoil and then saw the public gobbling up Touchpads while interally, they're having layoffs.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by HanoverB View Post
    Last time I checked, the Touchpad was being developed and manufactured by Inventec Corporation, not Foxconn............you sure of your facts?
    yup. Welcome to Precentral. Nice first post see link.

Here's a website I think you'll like: Foxconn and Compal contracted for 5-6 Palm devices in 2011 [rumor] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I was reading the Glassdoor yesterday and saw some recent employee comments about HP. Generally, it went like this:

Pros:
    - Big company, good opportunities, helps resume.

Cons:
    - Too big, depts do not communicate within, no reward for hard work, bonuses and raises have been non-existent over the last few years. Morale is low. Fire Apotheker.

One comment I read was that HP did not even give employees a first shot at the firesale Touchpads. We can dismiss this comment but I would probably feel the same way if I were an HP employee right now and going through all this internal turmoil and then saw the public gobbling up Touchpads while interally, they're having layoffs.
    It's true that they didn't get the opportunity to get the TP's company wide before the public did......
    If this rumor is true, it is unfortunate. I had several friends who I was waiting to convert to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTreo View Post
    yup. Welcome to Precentral. Nice first post see link.

Here's a website I think you'll like: Foxconn and Compal contracted for 5-6 Palm devices in 2011 [rumor] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    Thanks for the welcome. :-)

Inventec is the manufacturer the TP. Foxconn contracted smartphones I believe.

TouchPad Go components sit piled up with HP suppliers | News |webOSroundup
  17.    #38  
    Hmm, not sure but the below link says Foxconn along with several other sources. (the manufactures of the HP TP).

Regardless lets not change focus on the original intent of this post. Folks waiting to get a firesale TP directly from HP are going to have little to no chance if they don't already have an order placed that is pending.

Are The HP Touchpad & The iPad 2 Twins? | ITProPortal.com
    I was one of the lucky ones! After a few hours in line outside of the BestBuy close to my house on Sunday Aug 21st, my wife, my brother and I (there were 4 more people in front of us, and about 60 people behind us by 10am) were able to get a 16GB TouchPad each of us.
    They only had about 30 TPads, but only 14 to sell, the rest were sold online and most of those who bought them were behind us to pick them up in-store, the rest of the people had to go empty handed unfortunately
    By 10:50 am (10 minutes before opening) they let the first 14 people in to get their TPad, my brother, my wife and I were walking out of BB with our TPads and a big smile by 11am
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Yea, I guess some of those new TPads are spoken for, check this out:

The $99 TouchPad Returns To HPs Employee Purchasing Program On Sept 28th | TechCrunch

I guess my sister, my niece, my sister in-law and my mom will not be able to get one
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast