Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm sitting here browsing the forums on my macbook pro, and I was banging my finger on the screen annoyed that it didn't appear to be registering my "click".

I must have tapped that stupid link half a dozen times before I realized what I was doing wrong. Maybe microsoft is making the right move by trying to shift -everything- in the direction of touch. If someone like me with a history of mouse/chair computing going back to an IBM PC JR can wind up fruitlessly beating the hell out of a laptop monitor, just imagine how our kids are going to feel. I never thought that tapping a screen would become intuitive. This is a pretty crazy revelation for me.

I know touchscreens have been creeping into every device out there, but I think I just realized that the world of tomorrow is going to be touchscreen -dominated-. I'd be seriously surprised if the next big apple macbook laptop doesn't have a touchscreen as stock equipment.

Maybe it's finally time to trade in my gigantic old trusty 24" trinitron CRT. This is a sad day for the menagerie of bygone wonders that is my desktop computing setup .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    The kids who are younger than 10 will be amazed that we ever got by without touchscreens. To them it'll be like the horse-and-buggy days.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    The kids who are younger than 10 will be amazed that we ever got by without touchscreens. To them it'll be like the horse-and-buggy days.
    I'm sitting here watching my son play with my touchpad - he's currently tossing balls around in sparkle, and winning (under two and a half years old).

He just closed that card, swiped it off the screen, accessed the launcher, and switched to angry birds. WHEEEEEEEEE.

He's grown up in a touchscreen world. He gets annoyed if he wants to watch something on netflix and my bigscreen isn't responding to his touch (he'll walk up to the screen and expect the videos to move when he touches them). I have to sit back and work the xbox remote so he'll stay happy . He knows how to use the actual xbox remote to navigate netflix now, but he still prefers to "touchscreen".

Today he managed to delete every single application on -his- touchpad. Annoying that there isn't a way to lock that out, it's a LITTLE too easy to delete them and he seemed to think it was hilarious.

Anyway - I'm starting to think you're right. Mouse/keyboard computing might very well be the next dinosaur.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    shanpalm61 and stickerboy like this.
    I swipe up on my netbook then feel like an *****.
    I find myself trying to tap my laptop screen - WHY ISN'T IT WORKING?!?!

Oh....

shanpalm61 and vella_ like this.
    I've only had the TouchPad for 2+ days but I tried swiping away an app on my Android phone already.
    HTC Sensation, HP TouchPad, iPod touch 4th generation ...
    untitled likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I'm sitting here watching my son play with my touchpad - he's currently tossing balls around in sparkle, and winning (under two and a half years old).

He just closed that card, swiped it off the screen, accessed the launcher, and switched to angry birds. WHEEEEEEEEE.

He's grown up in a touchscreen world. He gets annoyed if he wants to watch something on netflix and my bigscreen isn't responding to his touch (he'll walk up to the screen and expect the videos to move when he touches them). I have to sit back and work the xbox remote so he'll stay happy . He knows how to use the actual xbox remote to navigate netflix now, but he still prefers to "touchscreen".

Today he managed to delete every single application on -his- touchpad. Annoying that there isn't a way to lock that out, it's a LITTLE too easy to delete them and he seemed to think it was hilarious.

Anyway - I'm starting to think you're right. Mouse/keyboard computing might very well be the next dinosaur.
    I love that imagery. It's what I go through everyday.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    I don't believe I had a mouse with my PCjr. It's not like it came with GUI of any kind.
    I tried to pinch to zoom on a GPS screen today...
    I sit at least 3 feet away from my cadre of monitors. I'm not touch screening them. Not ever. Even a laptop is a bit inconvenient to touchscreen, because of how far you have to reach to get to the screen. The tablet is fine because you are HOLDING the screen. Only way I could see myself doing that with a laptop is if the hinges allowed the display to swing 180-350 degrees or so (ie, straight up/down, and/or exact opposite of closed)

I see all these PCs at Best Buy, with touchscreens, and great, but if you're sitting at a desk, the monitor is usually not right in your face and arm's reach.

hell my Touchpad is sitting on it's Touchstone, in front and to the side of all the monitors, a good 6" closer than the nearest monitor, and it's still kind of a pain in the *** to touch.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I sit at least 3 feet away from my cadre of monitors. I'm not touch screening them. Not ever. Even a laptop is a bit inconvenient to touchscreen, because of how far you have to reach to get to the screen. The tablet is fine because you are HOLDING the screen. Only way I could see myself doing that with a laptop is if the hinges allowed the display to swing 180-350 degrees or so (ie, straight up/down, and/or exact opposite of closed)

I see all these PCs at Best Buy, with touchscreens, and great, but if you're sitting at a desk, the monitor is usually not right in your face and arm's reach.

hell my Touchpad is sitting on it's Touchstone, in front and to the side of all the monitors, a good 6" closer than the nearest monitor, and it's still kind of a pain in the *** to touch.
    I suppose that's where gestures, a la "minority report" will come in..
    Quote Originally Posted by kahmeal View Post
    I suppose that's where gestures, a la "minority report" will come in..
    I think something like Kinect proves that's possible. The problem with that, though, is it's just weird navigating through a GUI without any tactile response.
    I watched my son use his dads phone, unlock it(swipe it) and open YouTube, he also can now open our touchpad, he too is two. It is really insane, we have not mastered potty training yet, but the kid can play robotek on our touchpad. He rolled 3 perfect hacks one night, we were laughing so hard. I guess we are new age parents?
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    I don't believe I had a mouse with my PCjr. It's not like it came with GUI of any kind.
    I had a mouse on that PC jr. I had the "upgrades" for my pc jr (the two pieces that literally plugged into the side of the device - modem and memory upgrade if I recall correctly). It was an ugly little 2 button affair. As I recall I used it to play kings quest and draw in an art program.

You had me questioning my memory . After a quick google search I turned up this:

So there you have it, my first mouse! And BOOYA, 256k of RAM!!!! My PC JR was a monster!

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think something like Kinect proves that's possible. The problem with that, though, is it's just weird navigating through a GUI without any tactile response.
    I'm imagining a tactile interface where the mouse would ordinarily go as a possible desktop solution for a "touchscreen world".

No touching the screen, but you're hand is effectively utilizing a "touchscreen" for basic gestures, navigation, and use. A stylus-free wacom, basically. General kinect-style physical gestures might be incorporated too, or perhaps it will handle people sitting down to auto-log you in before you can even get into the chair - "Hello Incinerate - logging in".

You'd need it to recognize the palm and various finger-positions/movements, but I could see it working fairly easily. Just lay your hand there and pinch-zoom, click various things on the screen with a finger-tap, etc. Sortof a "mouse without a mouse".

Pure speculation here, but it might even be possible to make that setup more accurate than a mouse, giving you a more direct hand>computer interface.

Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

Just gotta love those "Touchpad Toddlers"! Haha good for you tho... Fun times to remember...
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I'm OK with the PCs. Like eblade said, I'm not holding them. I get in trouble going between my TP and my Pre because the gestures/quick-keys are different. Then I pick up my husband's Android and stare at it because nothing works "right".
    I knd of have the same issue when switching between handhelds ( not laptops or PCs thankfully or id be havinga very greasy screen) i have a windows mobile phone, an android tablet, and now the TP and i always mix up the gestures when switching between them. Also some time ago before touchscreen phones became so common (i have been a windows mobile user since long long ago ) i always had problems with trying to press buttons on the screen of non touch phones ,tapping it with my nail thinking *** work already, damn this is a really unresponsive phone.....
    Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    I saw a 3 yo trying to change the notifications on a weather channel being displayed on a CRT by tapping it. He was confused why nothing changed. His dad had to teach him that it won't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by bs03 View Post
    I'm OK with the PCs. Like eblade said, I'm not holding them. I get in trouble going between my TP and my Pre because the gestures/quick-keys are different. Then I pick up my husband's Android and stare at it because nothing works "right".
    for sure for sure.. I have a lot of issues reacclimating to my ipod the few occasions I use it for. I still like the ipod keyboardbetter than the touchpad keyboard. The touchpad keyboard is just plain not responsive enough, you can see thwtnon all my messages here today. Not responsive enough and always hitting wrong letters.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast