Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i've been getting a lot of usb connection failed whenever i connect the TP to my laptop.

i've tried both with the dev mode on and off and still get the same issues.

when i connect to the laptop, i hear the sound and see the TP asking it to as a USB drive or not. then when i select the USB drive, the screen blacks out to a big USB icon. but on my computer, i don't see the Touchpad listed.

then a couple seconds later, TP's home screen opens up and tells me USB connection failed.

anyone else having this problem as well? i'm on the newest OS loaded with preware, uberkernal + govnah @ 1.5.

please help..... TIA
    usually when I have seen this it tells me to throw away all cards and try again. So far that works every time.
  3.    #3  
    yup, i did that too... and tried again by selecting it to go into USB mode.. but nada. tried it about 5 different times on 3 different usb port. now going to try rebooting the device and see..

ok... left the usb connected and did the reboot device.. now it works. thanks for helping!!
    Kept having problem connecting it to my Ubuntu Linux box and finally did some googling and found a suggestion to disable "legacy floppy" in bios, shut down & restart. That seems to have done the trick, strange as it sounds.
    I'm having this problem every time I connect as USB drive; complete rebooting fixes it, but that's a pain, having to restart every time I want to access the USB drive. Luna doesn't even start when my device is in that state, so I don't know if that would help or not. But a restart fixes it every time. I also get the "close cards" message, but when I do, it never helps. Only a restart will allow it to connect.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by davidra; 09/30/2011 at 10:48 AM.
    same problem here.

I joined this forum just to try to find a solution for this. lol
    I got the exact same problem as davidra.
    hi, i hope someone here can help with this as i have tried HP support and so far I'm still stuck!
    When i connect my touchpad to my laptop and switch on the usb drive my laptop appears to pick it up ok. However when i try to use the explorer session to look at the tp drive i get an error saying i need to format the drive. Anyone else either had this and have overcome it, or is clever enough to know how to overcome it anyhow?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Now I'm on the same boat. Everything was fine, never had a problem with the USB connection but since last night I'm getting the exact same issue. Complete reboot solved it. But I'm still a bit worried.
    However the only changes I remember making before I started having this problem are:
    1)Installed spaz HD beta preview 2
    2)Installed Bad Booty
    3)Installed Basketmania
    4)And changed logging to minimal in device info.
    But I fail to understand why any of these actions would cause this problem. Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by rajstruck View Post
    Now I'm on the same boat. Everything was fine, never had a problem with the USB connection but since last night I'm getting the exact same issue. Complete reboot solved it. But I'm still a bit worried.
    However the only changes I remember making before I started having this problem are:
    1)Installed spaz HD beta preview 2
    2)Installed Bad Booty
    3)Installed Basketmania
    4)And changed logging to minimal in device info.
    But I fail to understand why any of these actions would cause this problem. Any advice?
    I have none of those....what patches do people have installed? Maybe we can figure this out, because this is a fairly new event for me; worked fine for some time. I have:
    Download link
    Advanced reset options
    Custom Browser Gestures
    Default to month view
    Faster animations
    Increase touch sensitivity
    Just charge button label
    Make it so
    Outlook formatting
    Remove clear bookmarks
    Remove dropped packet logging
    Remove tap ripple
    Unthrottle download manager. Also have UK, increase TP volume, and hulu fix

AHA: I removed the "just charge" button label patch and it connected; if you have that patch, try removing it. I also removed the Hulu patch since it doesn't work anyway.

Addendum: Nope, worked the first time but on reconnect got the same message. Additionally, even though it won't connect, there is a WebOS device showing as attached. When I try and stop it, I get a message that says: Windows can't stop your Novacom device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using it and try again later.
    But there aren't any programs using Novacom that I am aware of.

A luna restart does not solve the problem.
    Last edited by davidra; 10/02/2011 at 07:34 AM.
    this happened to me once, I normally restart once every two days anyway so I never saw it repeat, I'm on warthog as well with a host of over tweaks. I thought it was a one off occurrence.
    if I remember correctly there were some cards open that were accessing my user area and even after I closed them it still didn't connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by mibaksh View Post
    this happened to me once, I normally restart once every two days anyway so I never saw it repeat, I'm on warthog as well with a host of over tweaks. I thought it was a one off occurrence.
    if I remember correctly there were some cards open that were accessing my user area and even after I closed them it still didn't connect.

Not sure what you mean by user area, but....I restarted, connected successfully, ejected, then went to a website, minimized the card but left it open and I lost the ability to connect. EVen after getting rid of the card, it still woudn't connect. Why would having a card open interfere with the USB connection?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I am having the same problem, initial investigation has yielded nothing telltale for a cause.

I only have 4 patches installed.
    USB mode usually works (90% of the time). I have noticed that when I have a dashboard running in the background, this issue occurs. Not sure if it's related.

I don't remember if I do a Luna restart or full device restart to correct this issue.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 10/04/2011 at 10:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I turned off Dev Mode: No dice
    Rebooted: Worked, but it worked last time too
    Removed the speed up load animations patch: Nothing

I did notice that with the USB cable plugged in, Preware won't launch
    I have the same problem and I noticed it before I install preware. It happens with my home desktop PC as well as my work laptop. It gets old having to reboot pretty much everytime.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    it happens to me quite often, but then I have the windows 8 preview
    what I usually do is close all cards. And try again, if its still not working I reboot my touchpad and of at the same time ,then it works
    Same problem here: plug in the usb, get the prompt, goes to the black usb screen, wait a few seconds, then it goes back to the home screen with the close cards error message, even when there's no cards.

A full reboot fixes it, a Luna restart does not. I'm not sure how long the fix works for, I tried ejecting it, unplugging the usb, then plugging it back in and it mounted fine. But I've had to restart multiple times the last few days, in fact every time that I've wanted to use usb mode (except just now using usb mode twice quickly after a restart).

I'm using mac osx 10.6 and have many patches installed but no kernals.

I wanted to attach the error log to this, but I tried using the log-sending function and all I got was a blowfish file and an ssl file that I have no idea what to do with, so none of that is attached.

I hope someone figures this out!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Check and make sure there aren't any issues with your novacom(term?) drivers, that was my problem.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    I have WebOS 3.0.4 installed, and I was getting this same error.

I found that when I have a CIFS/Windows share mounted under /media/internal, that the USB connection would fail. Unmount the share, and it is ok.

I was mounting this share so it would be visible in TouchPlayer, is there a better way to do this? I wanted the share to always be automounted, so I added the line
    //n.n.n.n/<sharename> /media/internal/<mnt_dir> cifs username=<user>,passwd=<password>,ro 0 0
    to /etc/fstab, which worked pretty well.

Is there a better way to do this that doesn't prevent USB mode from working?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast