Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    i think he means that if HP sold say 1.5 million touchpads starting from the fire sale up to october when they fill other orders that those 1.5 million people MIGHT have bought an iPad but instead bought a touchpad. so technically it does hurt their revenue since that could have been a million more ipads sold. BUT he also failed to mention that it also hurt samsung and asus and acers revenue too since some of those people might have wanted a galaxy tab or iconia or eee pad. but maybe thats not what he meant lol

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    I could see that except quarterly reports showed that Android marketshare went down, while Apples marketshare went up. And this is for the quarter that HP had the firesale. I really do believe that IPad owners augmented their tablet stock (like myself) while potential Android buyers, bought the TP instead. The numbers seem to agree with this assessment.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post

Either Apple is worried, or they're going to be. Why else would they do it?

Hurt Apple's revenue? Either they have (in a way), or they're going to. Why else would they do it?

Not completely HURT, but Apple must see HP as some kind of threat.

Why else would they do it?
    I think you are reading too much into it. I doubt it actually means anything other than a slogan.
  3.    #23  
    i think he means that if HP sold say 1.5 million touchpads starting from the fire sale up to october when they fill other orders that those 1.5 million people MIGHT have bought an iPad but instead bought a touchpad. so technically it does hurt their revenue since that could have been a million more ipads sold. BUT he also failed to mention that it also hurt samsung and asus and acers revenue too since some of those people might have wanted a galaxy tab or iconia or eee pad. but maybe thats not what he meant lol

Very true. And with ALL the coverage on the HP Touchpad, more people know about it, more people demand it. More and more people are wanting it. People are finding the Touchpad more interesting than the iPad. No doubt. Or else, Apple wouldn't have done it.

Some people honest to goodness still can't tell the difference between and iPad and a Touchpad or even know exactly what a Touchpad is. And Touchpad owners are telling them.

With it's price drop. It's in the hands of the majority.

Those are the people who Apple is losing revenue for. Apple felt like they HAD to act.

I feel like this it Apple saying, "Hey, don't forget out iPad, it can work like the Touchpad too!"

People are opening their eyes and seeing how good this all is.

And who's to say that this wasn't HP's intention all along? It's still debatable whether or not they purposefully released the Touchpad in such a manner at to create controversy.

What a great marketing scheme right?

Then Apple goes and does this. The same, gotta be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    I think you are reading too much into it. I doubt it actually means anything other than a slogan.
    *clearing the table* They actually had to- or resorted to, going to HP's site, looking at it. Write down their slogan, and put it on their own site. That's madness.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/18/2011 at 12:12 AM.
    Very true. And with ALL the coverage on the HP Touchpad, more people know about it, more people demand it. More and more people are wanting it. People are finding the Touchpad more interesting than the iPad. No doubt. Or else, Apple wouldn't have done it.

Some people honest to goodness still can't tell the difference between and iPad and a Touchpad or even know exactly what a Touchpad is. And Touchpad owners are telling them.

With it's price drop. It's in the hands of the majority.

Those are the people who Apple is losing revenue for. Apple felt like they HAD to act.

I feel like this it Apple saying, "Hey, don't forget out iPad, it can work like the Touchpad too!"

People are opening their eyes and seeing how good this all is.

And who's to say that this wasn't HP's intention all along? It's still debatable whether or not they purposefully released the Touchpad in such a manner at to create controversy.

What a great marketing scheme right?

Then Apple goes and does this. Are they the same people?
    Again, wishful thinking on your part. Apple marketshare up during this last quarter, Android marketshare down. Might want to check into that and reassess your thoughts.
  5.    #25  
    Apple is insane. It's got to be illegal.

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has strict regulations regarding whether or not a slogan can become a registered mark. In its simplest format, the difference depends on whether or not the slogan is being used in the same manner as the mark i.e. if it is being used to identify the source of the goods or services or if it is merely “informational” or “generic” or “laudatory” and thus not capable of distinguishing this particular product or service from that of another.

And I don't think we have any of that here. It's illegal. It has to be. My thing is, why was it the HP Touchpad that Apple had to copy from? They copied. What else would they copy?

Protecting Slogans
    Please stop posting. My head is starting to hurt from headbutting my desk.
  7.    #27  
    *Reads HP's website.*

And it's blatant.

Not only does it Works like nothing else. But it Juggles like nothing else.
    and Apps like nothing else.

Don't you think Apple could be misleading customers?

Aww, Apple wants it's products to be sold out too. lol
    this is all msde up bs.apple the biggest seller im the WORLD of tablets djd not steal a stupjd slogan for a 1/2 *** product thst was practically gjven away a month sfter jt was released to yawns. GMAFB. Xome of you tp fan boys are worse than ipad fan boys. Lol

QUOTE=DreamOWD;3161160]

"Oh, this changes everything. What's real? What isn't? How can I know?"

There's been a lot of talk about the inexpiable iPad and the Tumultuous Touchpad. The pads released from Apple and Hp.

But check your emails. No, this is not a test. On Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:26 PM, Apple released an email ad that directly copies Hp's classic ad slogan. Works like nothing else.

What the?!

Who came first, who didn't? Are they forming together? Are they the same people?

Otherwise, why the heck would Apple use this marketing strategy?

HP Using the Slogan
    HP TouchPad | Tablet PC | HP® Official Site | U.S.
    Apple Using the Same Slogan
    http://images.apple.com/dm/us/11/4831/i/ttl.gif[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepharite View Post
    You're complaining about a slogan, when Touchpad basically stole/borrowed the basic functions of the tablet from apple.
    PRECISELY!1111 bravo well said
  10.    #30  
    Apple. Biggest tablet seller in the world. Exactly.

So tell me, why would the biggest tablet seller in the world have to plagiarize another companies slogan?

Because they can? They can't get away with that. It's just not fair.

Now, it's directly affecting me, I can't enjoy my Touchpad because of the other players. My tablet won't be supported. Because of Apple. This Apple. The plagiarizing company.
    Maybe you should just save your money and buy an iPad - a tablet you can enjoy because it's still being supported.
    ... Hp's classic ad slogan. Works like nothing else.

Honestly, I've never heard that slogan before.

Apple must see HP as some kind of threat.
    Of course they do. In the same way Toyota views Pontiac as a threat.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/18/2011 at 01:17 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  13.    #33  
    Given away a m o n t h after it's release? That doesn't just happen.

I've seen crappy toys and recalled produce on the shelves longer than that. And you mean to tell me, that this perfectly capable tablet, the one that's high in demand and rival to Apple can't survive? What is this world coming to?

The HP Touchpad in ratings 1 to 10. It's up there.

Give me one sensible reason that Apple (the plagiarizers) would steal HP's "fire".

Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Honestly, I've never heard that slogan before.
    You must have never hunted for a Touchpad. Everyone knows that slogan.

It's on this page.
    http://www.hp.com/united-states/webo.../touchpad.htmL
    And this page.
    http://www.hp.com/united-states/webo...pad-webos.html
    And this page.
    http://www.hp.com/united-states/webo...hpad-apps.html
    Because they knew, somewhere in the world, there would be at least 1 person who would completely lose their mind.

I'd wager that the majority of those people who bought tp couldn't afford an ipad so they weren't cutting into apple sales. They were mostly blue collar types chasing a black friday tyoe sale probably not even knowing what they were really buying but saw $599 down go $149, hope I'm not out of line.
  16. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Steve Jobs said this would be the "year of the copycats." Judging from the "new" features that iOS5 is bringing (many similar to features already present in Android and other OSs), I'd say he's right. This ad is just another example.

That said, I see this more as pouring salt in HP's wounds rather than just copying for the sake of copying.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I'd wager that the majority of those people who bought tp couldn't afford an ipad so they weren't cutting into apple sales. They were mostly blue collar types chasing a black friday tyoe sale probably not even knowing what they were really buying but saw $599 down go $149, hope I'm not out of line.
    People can afford iPads, but you can get eight Touchpads for the price of one iPad. But that's besides the point. It's not that it can't be afforded, it's just- who would want one?

With the Touchpad on the market, what person (that's not wasteful, and cares about how much money they have) would want one? Some.

Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    I see this more as pouring salt in HP's wounds rather than just copying for the sake of copying.
    I thought Apple was smarter than that.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/18/2011 at 01:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    Steve Jobs said this would be the "year of the copycats." Judging from the "new" features that iOS5 is bringing (many similar to features already present in Android and other OSs), I'd say he's right. This ad is just another example.

That said, I see this more as pouring salt in HP's wounds rather than just copying for the sake of copying.
    hp made their wounds. Apple didnt
  19. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    hp made their wounds. Apple didnt
    Completely agree.
  20.    #40  
    No one can explain why Apple had to plagiarize, to sell their iPad. That's all it is. They're plagiarizing to sell their iPad.

And who's buying it? There's a big pile of them sitting in stock right now, looks like the tables have turned.

You know, I don't think Apple's iPads are selling as good as everyboy's saying. Do we have proof on those numbers?

I know a couple schools were being given some kind of government money to put iPads in their classrooms, whether that is counted as an actual sale, is debatable.

HP's Touchpads are still in VERY high demand, even when they're not in stock. AND they're still in demand even though they are supposedly discontinued. People are throwing their iPads out the window to get a Touchpad. If I had an iPad, I would've sold it to get eight Touchpads!

If I was Apple right now, I wouldn't be feeling too good. That phrase, is probably copyrighted. Apple sent that out in an email, like nobody would get a hold of it because it's not on any of the commercials or whatever?

Does Apple ever joke? That'd be one cruel joke. This whole thing is crazy.

P.S. Notice I never call the iPad a tablet. Because if the iPad is a tablet, that would mean the iPod Touch is a tablet because they are both one and the same.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/18/2011 at 01:49 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast