View Poll Results: You should of had these attributes for at least 2 weeks before polling

Voters
393. You may not vote on this poll
  • My TP is Overclocked and Cracked

53 13.49%
  • My TP is Overclocked and NOT Cracked

226 57.51%
  • My TP is NOT Overclocked and is Cracked

45 11.45%
  • My TP is NOT Overclocked and NOT Cracked

69 17.56%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm taking a poll to see if there is a correlation between the cracks by the speaker and overclocking. Shoould be interesting...

You should of had these attributes for at least 2 weeks before polling

If you had any other variables, please tell us.
    Last edited by specter; 09/17/2011 at 03:30 PM.
    Happily running Warthog (1.718G) for several weeks with no cracking at all and no case.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    I'm taking a poll to see if there is a correlation between the cracks by the speaker and overclocking. Shoould be interesting...

You should of had these attributes for at least 2 weeks before polling

If you had any other variables, please tell us.
    You should add more choices because there are people reporting on XDA and Slickdeals
    that the intense heat generated by the Touchstone charger may have contributed to the
    case flexing and cracking prematurely.

My TP is Overclocked and Cracked and I use Touchstone charger
    My TP is Overclocked and Cracked and I do NOT use Touchstone charger
    My TP is Overclocked and NOT Cracked and I use Touchstone charger
    My TP is Overclocked and NOT Cracked and I do NOT use Touchstone charger
    My TP is NOT Overclocked and is Cracked and I use Touchstone charger
    My TP is NOT Overclocked and is Cracked and I do NOT use Touchstone charger
    My TP is NOT Overclocked and NOT Cracked and I use Touchstone charger
    My TP is NOT Overclocked and NOT Cracked and I do NOT use Touchstone charger

Overcharging adds only a little bit more heat, while Touchstone adds a lot of
    heat(but only while charging)
    My Touchpad cracked before I overclocked to 1.512 or got a Touchstone

Put a drop of super glue in the crack to seal it, it didn't get worse and no new cracks formed after overclocking and using the Touchstone regularly.
    i'm sure overclocking has nothin to do with cracking lol
    mine has been overclocked for three weeks and it is on the touchstone all day not showing any cracks.
    I can tell you over locking has nothing to do with it. Mine cracked out of no where and proceeded to get worse till the plastic got cleanly cut off and flapped out. Was able to get caught on stuff.. It sucked. I super glued it back now it just looks like a crack...

Anyway... If anything might have something to do with this it would be the increased volume patch... Even that's unlikely but if you install that patch you can feel the vibrations... However that might just expidiate the crack happening. It would not be cause by any means. The cause is a design flaw from HP. A pretty bad one if you ask me that applies stress in the are down there.
    tayswg20 likes this.
    It's very unlikely that overclocking would cause this. If you think it's a heat related issue, then a more likely culprit is the touchstone. But as the other guy said, people are having the problem without overclocking or using the touchstone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    As someone who has been around for a while, you will not be able to say OCing, using the case, not using the case, etc. Causes or protects from crack. The cracks have happened to people that put the case on right away, and for people that never had the case, the cracks were around before OCing was released, etc.

There is no answer thus far for what causes the cracks.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I'm a Day 1 Touchpad owner with no cracks. I got my TS charger and case two weeks after purchasing my TP. I also have a skin on the back of my TP (for decoration and identification, not protection). I've had no adverse issues with the TS charger and I've been overclocked since the first few days of availability.
    I'm 99% sure my TP was cracked out of the box.
    Early adopter here. Have had my 32GB Touchpad for quite some time now, still don't have a case for it. No cracks yet and I've been overclocking since day 1 (Ukernel). I've also been using the Touchstone charger but that's only been for about three weeks.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    its most likely caused by the forming process during manufacturing by lack of enough material not being added to the mold
    dancom96 likes this.
    Wow. Do people actually believe that overclocking would cause the cracks?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    kettlecorn and guinny1759 like this.
  15. chi
    How about incidences of sports betting on NFL as the season started & cracks? I can imagine throwing a TP against the wall when your bet goes sour.
    Cronk likes this.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    It is my humble opinion that the largest user-inflicted factor in the cracking is speaker use.
    Okay, this is as dumb as it gets, Overclocking causes cracks, next someone will be saying that an overclocked TP, deminishes sex.........................................
    Quote Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
    It is my humble opinion that the largest user-inflicted factor in the cracking is speaker use.
    there may be something to that. I first noticed my own TP started cracking after I had used it to listen to music for about an hour at medium volume one night. Before that time I hadn't used my speakers other then an occasional use. Stock TP in HP case since the moment I got it btw.
    I think that my crack was caused by holding it with my thumb over the speaker.
    I don't have cracks on mine, but I'd guess there is a weak point created as the plastic flows round the speaker feature in the mold, if the material meets at a different temp, pressure etc it will create a weak point as it won't flow together correctly. Think of something like a marble cake, you can quite easily pull the two colours apart after it cooked, as it's not fully mixed. Technically called a weld, flow line or mold line.

They are probably still tweaking the process. There are so many variables it could be just covers from : one tool, one cavity in a tool, all are affected to some degree, or some batches . . . . . . The worse ones may get more visible with use or heat.

it would be interesting to look at the production date from the serial number of all the ones with an issue.

I have had one from launch day and an other the last week or so an neither have the issue. . . use TS on both.
    Last edited by mc_wardy; 09/18/2011 at 05:03 PM.
    daffy4u likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast