View Poll Results: You should of had these attributes for at least 2 weeks before polling

Voters
393. You may not vote on this poll
  • My TP is Overclocked and Cracked

53 13.49%
  • My TP is Overclocked and NOT Cracked

226 57.51%
  • My TP is NOT Overclocked and is Cracked

45 11.45%
  • My TP is NOT Overclocked and NOT Cracked

69 17.56%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    I'm suspect mine cracked when I dropped it on my carpeted floor. And i believe the crack was there before i overclocked it.
    This poll only allow one vote.

What about those of use who own three or more Touchpads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    This poll only allow one vote.

What about those of use who own three or more Touchpads?
    You have THREE touchpads and you're whinging that you don't get more than one vote? Pphhhh, some people are never happy . Tell you what, I'll trade you my vote for one of your touchpads.
    According to the results of this poll, overclocking your TouchPad reduces your risk of cracking the case.

In other words, overclocking has no affect whatsoever.

busted
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    Do you watch the show Mythbusters? I think if you understand the context of that show, and why the title of this thread is HP Mythbusters, you'll have a better understanding of this post.

Purely for data collection.
    Correlation is tested for either there is one, or there isn't one. Not Causation.
    Anything said without empirical proof is an opinion.

We all know that the crack is cause by a structural flaw. That's like saying the steaks are burnt because of heat.

What people are interested in is seeing if there is a positive or negative correlation between the heat generated from OC'ing or not

And in this experiment the data can only infer a low correlation.

This does create options for looking at other questions as to what the cause is.

HP Admits they know it is a manufacturer defect, but they won't admit why when asked.

So the good thing about this post is that the data seen can be used in other ways.

But then again, calling something a joke without any forethought.... well one doesn't need to run any experiments to see the statistics of that persons logic.
    I do watch Mythbusters and I also am knowledge in science and I majored in Economics. I should say I will retract my somewhat condescending tone of the post, but I really did think that it was a joke at first.

And regarding data collection, you really think that 200 touchpad vote on a forum is at all reliable or accurate? This is the internet. The end result of data collection is to show CAUSATION, why else would anyone study this issue of cracked speaker and OC? Correlation is a whole different story, I guarantee you that if I do a bigger poll at 200,000 Touchpad owners, all 200,000 of them will have/had cancer or knows someone personally with cancer. Doesn't mean that Touchpad's cause cancer. Correlation or even strong links do not prove the direction of causality.

The premise of this data collection is hardly scientific whatsoever, even if a high percentage of voters voted that they were OCed AND had cracks. What kind of preliminary scientific research was done to see how long they were overclocked? How often they use the touchpad? How do they hold or handle the touchpad in conjunction to the overclocked criteria? How old is the touchpad? How much heat does one's touchpad generate when at baseline and when at overclock? (Since it depends largely on the individual device). What KIND of overclock? Are they running 1.5ghz or 1.9 ghz? How many apps on average open and for how long is heat an issue?

You can't expect someone who overclocked their touchpad for 3 days to have the same impact as someone who had their touchpad for 4 months and had it overclocked since day 1?
    Also, did the crack come first or did they overclock first?

If heat is the main criteria being tested, how does storage come in the play? The heat coming from a hot sun and blazing on a tablet can be much hotter than running an overclock.

This are questions that need to be asked. The poll is a joke in the sense that whatever outcome occurs, it simply is too SIMPLE to even justify any kind of conclusion drawn to overclocking and cracks. The study of economics and data and its reliability can be questionable even when the proper preliminary work is done, and data isn't entirely accurate of reality. (assuming data collection is done properly in the first place).
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
    You have THREE touchpads and you're whinging that you don't get more than one vote? Pphhhh, some people are never happy . Tell you what, I'll trade you my vote for one of your touchpads.
    Please don't get me wrong. There are 6 people in my family sharing 3 Touchpads.
    All are inside original HP cases and have been overclocked to 1.5GHz. They always
    sit on the Touchstone chargers when not in use. The back of the Touchpads are
    always really hot, but probably due to the Touchstone chargers.

Guess what? All three have hairline cracks.(near the spears, near the power button,
    and also to the right of the USB port) If I had to bet money, I'd say the cracks
    are caused by low-quality plastics that HP used, as well as the repeated heating &
    cooling off after sitting on the Toucstone chargers all day long.
    could cracking occur because of the vibrate?
    You guys made my brain crack
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    I think a new poll thread should start asking if you have a crack with using a touchstone and if you have a crack not using one.

Mine is overclocked using the charger it came with. It simply does not get hot enough to ever cause that kind of thermal stress on the plastic housing.
    FYI @donttrythis = Adam Savage

13% pretty flaky numbers. Busted.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewjenk View Post
    Okay, this is as dumb as it gets, Overclocking causes cracks, next someone will be saying that an overclocked TP, deminishes sex.........................................
    It did
    Quote Originally Posted by jewjenk View Post
    Okay, this is as dumb as it gets, Overclocking causes cracks, next someone will be saying that an overclocked TP, deminishes sex.....
    "Hang on, honey. This Sparkle level isn't going to finish itself."
    sledge007 likes this.
    Ive Had my Tp For about 2 months.For the First Month No Crack. The Beginning of second month I finally Decided to overclocked and installed preware. It Was Snappier but still, no Crack. I didnt touch my TouchPad for a week Because I didnt Have Interwebs (Forgot to pay bill :P). When the week was up I Picked up my Tp and looked at speaker. It had a Hairline crack. It got it while being turned off. I dont have a Touchstone dock ether. It was Just sitting there Untouched.
    Quote Originally Posted by HorsexD View Post
    Ive Had my Tp For about 2 months.For the First Month No Crack. The Beginning of second month I finally Decided to overclocked and installed preware. It Was Snappier but still, no Crack. I didnt touch my TouchPad for a week Because I didnt Have Interwebs (Forgot to pay bill :P). When the week was up I Picked up my Tp and looked at speaker. It had a Hairline crack. It got it while being turned off. I dont have a Touchstone dock ether. It was Just sitting there Untouched.
    So what are you trying to say? If you don't pay your bill, on time and go a week without WiFi signal, the sudden shock of WiFi is the cause?
    DrPotoroo likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Please don't get me wrong. There are 6 people in my family sharing 3 Touchpads.
    All are inside original HP cases and have been overclocked to 1.5GHz. They always
    sit on the Touchstone chargers when not in use. The back of the Touchpads are
    always really hot, but probably due to the Touchstone chargers.

Guess what? All three have hairline cracks.(near the spears, near the power button,
    and also to the right of the USB port) If I had to bet money, I'd say the cracks
    are caused by low-quality plastics that HP used, as well as the repeated heating &
    cooling off after sitting on the Toucstone chargers all day long.
    Well my family has 5, all with touchstones and hp cases. All are also overclocked. None have cracks. I even dropped mine a couple of times. I'm sure the others have been dropped but who would admit it? That goes for internet users too.

They are not all the same production run serial number, and I even have a 32gb while the others are 16 gb. I use my speakers a whole lot too, playing music overnight as I sleep, alarm clock, music as I shower, podcasts etc. So the previous user who claims speaker use causes cracking doesn't apply to me either.

Am I denying cracked touchpads? No. I'm just relaying my family results.
    I dropped mine as well....had the case on....was fairly wet grass/mud....it survived.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I dropped mine as well....had the case on....was fairly wet grass/mud....it survived.
    Sounds messy.
    Funny thing about that.....it landed on the speaker corner, so it wasn't really. Fell out of my front seat on to the ground...maybe a foot drop...got lucky
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Funny thing about that.....it landed on the speaker corner, so it wasn't really. Fell out of my front seat on to the ground...maybe a foot drop...got lucky
    Mine has this 3 inch gouge that tears across the front of the rubber HP case its in. Fell off my computer table onto the tile floor, scratching against the computer chair leg/rollers. I think even with the gorilla glass, the screen would have been scratched at least if I didn't have that hp case. I didn't think much of that case, but after that incident I look at it a little more fondly now.
    My release day TouchPad (in Canada) developed cracks near the speaker after barely one week. I ran with the stock kernel and just a few patches.

I exchanged it where I bought it. The new one has yet to cracks and is overclocked.

I very much doubt that whatever software you put on it could make the casing cracks. Even overclocked and on a Touchstone, the TouchPad run much cooler than a stock Pre or Pre2. So heat is certainly not an issue.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast