View Poll Results: You should of had these attributes for at least 2 weeks before polling

Voters
393. You may not vote on this poll
  • My TP is Overclocked and Cracked

    53 13.49%
  • My TP is Overclocked and NOT Cracked

    226 57.51%
  • My TP is NOT Overclocked and is Cracked

    45 11.45%
  • My TP is NOT Overclocked and NOT Cracked

    69 17.56%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62
Like Tree20Likes
  1. atg284's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    #21  
    overclocking has nothing to do with cracking. It just simply doesn't generate enough heat. Overclock it to 1.5ghz and enjoy life.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Wow. Do people actually believe that overclocking would cause the cracks?
    there many people who believe in god too.
    seretogis and LinuxKoss like this.
  3. #23  
    Apparently, NOT overclocking is causing cracks. From the poll so far, 17% of those who have overclocked have cracks, compared to 34% of those who have not overclocked!

    I say this tongue in cheek. What you have here is a response bias. People who haven't overclocked and don't have cracks are less likely to respond to the poll than people who have overclocked, or have cracks, or both.
  4. #24  
    causation vs correlation - you couldn't draw the conclusion that overclocking causes the speaker not to crack for example, even tho that's the biggest correlation from that post...just like if you had found a correlation between cracking and overclocking you couldn't make the conclusion that you wanted to make, that one causes the other
  5.    #25  
    Yea the data suggests that there is no correlation. This is good because we can now bring this myth to light. It makes it easier to look at other questions. And this isn't the only data you can state.

    For example: Based on this sample so far, statistically speaking, roughly 27% of all TP are cracked. And that is pretty big.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    I'm taking a poll to see if there is a correlation between the cracks by the speaker and overclocking. Shoould be interesting...

    You should of had these attributes for at least 2 weeks before polling

    If you had any other variables, please tell us.
    I would like to see a new poll that actually questions the physical cause of this phenomenon.

    Have you used any non-HP branded form of Tablet-stand designed to slide the tablet into a holder that would put pressure of any kind on the speaker bezel and do you have a cracked speaker case?

    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Griffin-iP...Black/16203551

    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-Bas...Stand/15406802


    Simply put, I guarantee you'll start to see a correlation.
    Last edited by JD.Plourde.II; 09/18/2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Examples
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Wow. Do people actually believe that overclocking would cause the cracks?
    they think it's a heat issue.

    fyi, I got mine on July 23. And got the case TS and zagg shield and keyboard.
    no cracks.

    I don't see overclocking as causing overheating. The TS has caused it to get warm, but it stays cool off the charger.

    I use uberkernal at 1500.
    Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 09/19/2011 at 01:01 AM.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

    My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
  8. #28  
    Noticing my TP sitting in the sunshine (indoors) the other day it struck me that with the all-black design it could heat up considerably in sunlight, even if not in a car, which probably wouldn't be good for it, overclocked or not.
  9. Huff's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #29  
    I have mine OC'd to 1.5 but it never ever seems hot no matter what I'm doing with it. Sitting idle its about 28-30C. On touchstone, 30-32, playing Angry Birds, Tanked, or browsing, videos or playing music, 32-36C. Never gets any hotter. Thats about the same as before OC'ing. I just noticed crack today but have no idea when it ocurred as I never checked before.

    If the poll is correct then OC'ing is not to blame. Almost 50% of those who haven't OC'd have cracks. Much lower % for those whom have OC'd. If anything, OC'ing helps prevent the problem??
  10. #30  
    I could only vote once, but my wife also has a TP and it's overclocked. So far, no cracks. Although, we've only had ours for 2 weeks.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    based on the poll result, the majority(65 percent)
    of the cracked Touchpads have been overclocked?

    it's currently showing 52 cracked touchpads:
    34 overclocked and 18 not overclocked.
    If my math is correct, 78% of the touchpads participating in the poll are overclocked. 22% of the total are cracked. So while it's true that 66% of the cracked touchpads are overclocked, that's actually less than the overall percentage of overclocked touchpads.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    I have mine OC'd to 1.5 but it never ever seems hot no matter what I'm doing with it. Sitting idle its about 28-30C. On touchstone, 30-32, playing Angry Birds, Tanked, or browsing, videos or playing music, 32-36C. Never gets any hotter. Thats about the same as before OC'ing. I just noticed crack today but have no idea when it ocurred as I never checked before.

    If the poll is correct then OC'ing is not to blame. Almost 50% of those who haven't OC'd have cracks. Much lower % for those whom have OC'd. If anything, OC'ing helps prevent the problem??
    That's basically the same conclusion I came to. And mine is overclocked to 1.5GHz with NO significant heat, hard to imagine that OCing could cause anywhere near enough heat to have anything to do with this. Heat and pressure from user hards seems much more likely.
  13. #33  
    Wow i thought this thread was a joke. OC does not have any correlation with the cracks.


    The cracks are stress cracks due to structural flaws. There's some flex in the back cover and you use one hand or both hands and the weight of the tablet bends, even in minute amounts. The weak points starts to give.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by kettlecorn View Post
    Wow i thought this thread was a joke. OC does not have any correlation with the cracks.


    The cracks are stress cracks due to structural flaws. There's some flex in the back cover and you use one hand or both hands and the weight of the tablet bends, even in minute amounts. The weak points starts to give.
    Do you watch the show Mythbusters? I think if you understand the context of that show, and why the title of this thread is HP Mythbusters, you'll have a better understanding of this post.

    Purely for data collection.
    Correlation is tested for either there is one, or there isn't one. Not Causation.
    Anything said without empirical proof is an opinion.

    We all know that the crack is cause by a structural flaw. That's like saying the steaks are burnt because of heat.

    What people are interested in is seeing if there is a positive or negative correlation between the heat generated from OC'ing or not

    And in this experiment the data can only infer a low correlation.

    This does create options for looking at other questions as to what the cause is.

    HP Admits they know it is a manufacturer defect, but they won't admit why when asked.

    So the good thing about this post is that the data seen can be used in other ways.

    But then again, calling something a joke without any forethought.... well one doesn't need to run any experiments to see the statistics of that persons logic.
  15. R_E
    R_E is offline
    R_E's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #35  
    mine is cracked at the usb and i never dropped it
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    Do you watch the show Mythbusters? I think if you understand the context of that show, and why the title of this thread is HP Mythbusters, you'll have a better understanding of this post.

    Purely for data collection.
    Correlation is tested for either there is one, or there isn't one. Not Causation.
    Anything said without empirical proof is an opinion.

    We all know that the crack is cause by a structural flaw. That's like saying the steaks are burnt because of heat.

    What people are interested in is seeing if there is a positive or negative correlation between the heat generated from OC'ing or not

    And in this experiment the data can only infer a low correlation.

    This does create options for looking at other questions as to what the cause is.

    HP Admits they know it is a manufacturer defect, but they won't admit why when asked.

    So the good thing about this post is that the data seen can be used in other ways.

    But then again, calling something a joke without any forethought.... well one doesn't need to run any experiments to see the statistics of that persons logic.
    i think what people are interested in is a causal relationship, even a low one. and i think people will look at any kind correlational relationship suggested by the data and infer a causal relationship because that is what they *want* to know.

    in any case, the thread has generated interesting data and I do appreciate you taking the initiative and creating it.

    as for my case, i've been playing a lot of asphalt 6 on it and that generates a lot of heat, especially when plugged in and overclocked, and also uses the speakers the whole time. i have an aftermarket case but it doesn't put very much pressure on the speakers, if any as it is held in place with the cover going into a groove and the part that contacts the speakers is suede with lots of padding behind it. I've also used an aftermarket stand (a $.69 business card holder lol) but that only put pressure on the fat middle part between the speakers, nothing close to the speakers and i didn't use it very much. just till i got the case.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    And in this experiment the data can only infer a low correlation.
    I disagree. Based on the DATA, there is a very strong relationship. A chi-squared analysis gives me a p value of < 0.0003, or a .03% chance of getting the numbers you have if the relationship between overclocking and cracking was random. BUT, as I said earlier, what you likely have here is a response bias, so the data tells us as good as nothing. It can neither confirm nor disconfirm a relationship, unless you can eliminate response bias.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
    I disagree. Based on the DATA, there is a very strong relationship. A chi-squared analysis gives me a p value of < 0.0003, or a .03% chance of getting the numbers you have if the relationship between overclocking and cracking was random. BUT, as I said earlier, what you likely have here is a response bias, so the data tells us as good as nothing. It can neither confirm nor disconfirm a relationship, unless you can eliminate response bias.
    36 of the 200 overclocked touchpads are cracked. that's only 18%. i don't think that's a relationship at all. excuse me since it's been a while since i learned statistics but IIRC chi - squared just tells you whether a relationship is statistically significan or due to regular population variance. it doesn't tell you how strong of a relationship it is.

    also, if there is a response bias, it's towards non-cracked touchpads, since they gave a lot more responses than the cracked touchpad owners who you'd think would be more interested in this thread than the owners of crack-free touchpads.
    vella_ and dectech like this.
  19. #39  
    lol
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

    What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

  20. #40  
    While you are right about the chi square statistic, the size of a p value considered in conjunction with your sample size gives you a fair estimate of effect size. And the plain figures speak for themselves: the 37% of non-OC TPs that are cracked is WAY more than the 18% OC TPs that are cracked.

    As for response bias, you have more responses from people without cracks in their TPs because only a small percentage of TPs have developed cracks. We just don't know what that percentage is. Let's imagine 10% of all touchpads have cracks, regardless of overclocking. And let's imagine 70% of people have overclocked their touchpad. Now lets assume that having either overclocked your touchpad or having cracks in your touchpad makes you 5% more likely to take notice of, and participate in, a poll about cracking and overclocking. Even though both the overclockers and non-overclockers have the same actual rate of cracking, suddenly it looks like around 12% more overclockers than non-overclockers have cracking issues - just because of the response bias.

    I'm of course GUESSING at the nature of the response bias, because there is no other really plausible way I can see to explain overclocked TPs being less prone to cracks. Except maybe:

    Overclockers are more devoted to and careful with their TPs
    The heat from overclocking softens the plastic, making it less prone to cracking.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions