Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello, I recently received my HPTP in the mail and have been updating, tweaking, patching, etc. like a million other folks have. I have yet to OC it but have it basically set up. After playing with the touchpad for a few days, I'm left with a question; why keep it? My wife has an Ipad2 that I've spent a fair amount of time on, and it's great, netflix, hulu, flipboard, etc.

Unfortunately, I've had a letdown on each of the major apps listed above and the performance is.....well....it struggles. Maybe overclocking will address the lag, but I sense it will still pale in comparison. I don't want to come off like an Apple fanatic here; I do prefer the card system of the WebOS, the layout is fine and to be fair, I still have more exploring to do in the HP App store. I don't dislike the touchpad, but I'm really struggling for a reason to keep it. Now before you start making offers to buy it, I will most likely give it to a relative or keep it for games for my kids so don't bother.....unless it's $300 then PM me. lol

I was hoping to at least have the ability to watch some shows on ABC, CBS, NBC and even those sites either don't work, or they struggle to play on wifi that never was an issue on my laptop or the ipad2. I've tried using ad/max blocker (not at the same time) and even with them removed, the performance is poor at best.

I don't want to rush to judgement, I want to give the TP a chance to reach it's full potential but so far I'm pretty disappointed. With so many members here, am I missing something simple or is the TP just not for me? Is the type of usage I perform just not ideal for a TP?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Basically, I can agree with you. Your biggest concern seems to be the performance, which is more or less not as good as it could be. The hardware of the TP has much more potential and I hope that someone will find a way to release the handbreak and get this beast screaming. However, I think you have to get more used to this device.

For me, the TouchPad is an excellent platform to play with. It's open, so everyone can offer new patches and applications to uncover the possibilities of this device. Especially for the price of 99 €/US-$, it's a perfect project.
  3.    #3  
    Your price argument is a valid one, It was hard to beat it. I just have a feeling it will end up sitting there not being used. I plan to sit down at some point this weekend and see how many games/educational tools there are for kids. If there are a fair amount it may be a great learning tool for my oldest son. It would be worth it for that for sure.
    the bottom line is that you only keep it if it provides sufficient utility.

I use it mostly for email, web browsing, podcasts/radio, and a few games. I get most of the "hulu" content from the videofloodHD app or directly from network websites.

you should try those methods, and if they aren't good enough (they aren't as convenient as an iPad hulu app, but they do t require a subscription) you should sell it.

thousands of people that want a touchpad, including everyone in my office. You wont have any problems getting your money out of it.
  5.    #5  
    I know I am new to the world of Touchpad so I want to resist the urge to decide it's fate. I know there are a lot of patches and homebrew apps and the like, and I've only scratched the surface. Maybe a few weeks of touchpad tinkering will change my mind. Part of the problem is that I'm not a "tinker-er". I prefer to just take something out of the box and have it work. The fact that it took all this updating and patching, tweaking just to get it "up and running" was not the ideal foot to start on for me. Maybe I'm part of the dumbing down of America, who knows. lol I am not a power user, and a tablet is really a entertaining convenience for me. Maybe the Ipad Theme will sooth my worries?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the bottom line is that you only keep it if it provides sufficient utility.

I use it mostly for email, web browsing, podcasts/radio, and a few games. I get most of the "hulu" content from the videofloodHD app or directly from network websites.

you should try those methods, and if they aren't good enough (they aren't as convenient as an iPad hulu app, but they do t require a subscription) you should sell it.

thousands of people that want a touchpad, including everyone in my office. You wont have any problems getting your money out of it.
    I had some issues with the network websites. I did read that there may be issues if you had max or ad blocker onboard so I removed both, restarted and it still struggled. I have now tested 2 separate wifi connections and the problem persists. Can you point me in the direction of an app or patch that may improve this? My OS is current.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I am overclocked to 1.5 GHz and had no problem using CBS.com or NBC.com last night. I have also used ESPN3 to watch both football games & the Women's US Open tennis final last weekend w/o problem.

It is nice having flash, but I think over clocking helps & my WiFi connection is at 8-9 Mbps, though this weekend I was in Colorado and had access to a 20 Mbps network so the tennis was awesome on the TouchPad.

Overclock it! What is holding you back?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I am overclocked to 1.5 GHz and had no problem using CBS.com or NBC.com last night. I have also used ESPN3 to watch both football games & the Women's US Open tennis final last weekend w/o problem.

It is nice having flash, but I think over clocking helps & my WiFi connection is at 8-9 Mbps, though this weekend I was in Colorado and had access to a 20 Mbps network so the tennis was awesome on the TouchPad.

Overclock it! What is holding you back?
    I'm still doing my "research" on the OC. I want to know what I'm doing and what I'm getting into, and also, what are the risks. IF I do have any issues, what will they be? How do I undo it if it's not working out? I've been using the search function like a freak the last few days.
    Let me ask what version of flash is this running. With Android you can update it. My Toshiba Thrive and Asus TF runs everything smoking smooth. But the TP has major problems and its a faster clock at stock speed of 1.2ghz. The other two I have are 1.0ghz.

So it has to be with the software flash or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlhfirelion View Post
    Hello, I recently received my HPTP in the mail and have been updating, tweaking, patching, etc. like a million other folks have. I have yet to OC it but have it basically set up. After playing with the touchpad for a few days, I'm left with a question; why keep it? My wife has an Ipad2 that I've spent a fair amount of time on, and it's great, netflix, hulu, flipboard, etc.

Unfortunately, I've had a letdown on each of the major apps listed above and the performance is.....well....it struggles. Maybe overclocking will address the lag, but I sense it will still pale in comparison. I don't want to come off like an Apple fanatic here; I do prefer the card system of the WebOS, the layout is fine and to be fair, I still have more exploring to do in the HP App store. I don't dislike the touchpad, but I'm really struggling for a reason to keep it. Now before you start making offers to buy it, I will most likely give it to a relative or keep it for games for my kids so don't bother.....unless it's $300 then PM me. lol

I was hoping to at least have the ability to watch some shows on ABC, CBS, NBC and even those sites either don't work, or they struggle to play on wifi that never was an issue on my laptop or the ipad2. I've tried using ad/max blocker (not at the same time) and even with them removed, the performance is poor at best.

I don't want to rush to judgement, I want to give the TP a chance to reach it's full potential but so far I'm pretty disappointed. With so many members here, am I missing something simple or is the TP just not for me? Is the type of usage I perform just not ideal for a TP?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Do the recommended fixes listed in my post in the signature line of this post. Those will help your "lagginess" immensely (ESPECIALLY killing all the needless logging the touchpad -stupidly- does).

DO overclock to at least 1.5ghz - that is a speed 100% supported by the processor inside the touchpad (literally, it's right on the manufacturer spec sheet - it's absolutely safe with a risk level lower than your average daily commute). Everyone will give you the "do it at your own risk" talk, but seriously, it's safe. Just use preware to install the latest uberkernel, then install govna, then run govna and change the profile/processor speed to reflect a 1.5ghz max speed. Uberkernel will ONLY support speeds that have proven to be effectively 100% reliable in the field (hence, no 1.7ghz support even though it is -mostly- trouble-free).

DO maximize flash video when watching it.

All of that will make videos on sites like cbs.com run beautifully. One last thing - remember not to install any adblocker software on the touchpad if online video is something you value (cbs for example, will block you if you attempt to utilize adblock or maxblocker). Flash isn't going to be perfect - but it runs, which is more than I can say about the ipad 2.

Beyond that, understand that the touchpad is still a bit of a work in progress. It's certainly not living up to the capabilities of it's hardward -just yet- but it's only had a few months in the wild to be fiddled with. You give it a bit more time and I'm telling you right now this device will blow you away. The dev community surrounding our touchpad has massively grown and we should see some amazing things.

As it sits, these fixes will make everything run beautifully and handle -most- of the web usage you throw at it.

On a sidenote, something to keep in mind: At it's current hardware specs, the touchpad would be effectively the most powerful android device available today by a reasonably significant amount.... Food for thought, especially once icecreamsandwich hits the field .

On the flip side - you already have an ipad 2, which is pretty universally considered the "better device", or at least the "more polished" device, even among HP/palm faithful (whether it's 500$ better is of course, debatable). Point being - when you're already driving a ferrari, a corvette might not seem terribly amazing. Since money isn't an object here (you already own both devices), it doesn't surprise me you'd reach for the ipad 2 more often. Gotta justify that 600$ purchase somehow, right?

New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  11.    #11  
    My feeble brain just melted. lol I tried to find a update tutorial for flash but came up snake eyes. I have deleted cache, cookies, etc and restarted but issue is still there.
  12. rlb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    +1 for what ncinerate said. DO his recommended fixes. They make a huge difference in performance. After that just sit back and wait for the devs to start creating.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Do the recommended fixes listed in my post in the signature line of this post. Those will help your "lagginess" immensely (ESPECIALLY killing all the needless logging the touchpad -stupidly- does).

DO overclock to at least 1.5ghz - that is a speed 100% supported by the processor inside the touchpad (literally, it's right on the manufacturer spec sheet - it's absolutely safe with a risk level lower than your average daily commute). Everyone will give you the "do it at your own risk" talk, but seriously, it's safe. Just use preware to install the latest uberkernel, then install govna, then run govna and change the profile/processor speed to reflect a 1.5ghz max speed. Uberkernel will ONLY support speeds that have proven to be effectively 100% reliable in the field (hence, no 1.7ghz support even though it is -mostly- trouble-free).

DO maximize flash video when watching it.

All of that will make videos on sites like cbs.com run beautifully. One last thing - remember not to install any adblocker software on the touchpad if online video is something you value (cbs for example, will block you if you attempt to utilize adblock or maxblocker). Flash isn't going to be perfect - but it runs, which is more than I can say about the ipad 2.

Beyond that, understand that the touchpad is still a bit of a work in progress. It's certainly not living up to the capabilities of it's hardward -just yet- but it's only had a few months in the wild to be fiddled with. You give it a bit more time and I'm telling you right now this device will blow you away. The dev community surrounding our touchpad has massively grown and we should see some amazing things.

As it sits, these fixes will make everything run beautifully and handle -most- of the web usage you throw at it.

On a sidenote, something to keep in mind: At it's current hardware specs, the touchpad would be effectively the most powerful android device available today by a reasonably significant amount.... Food for thought, especially once icecreamsandwich hits the field .

On the flip side - you already have an ipad 2, which is pretty universally considered the "better device", or at least the "more polished" device, even among HP/palm faithful (whether it's 500$ better is of course, debatable). Point being - when you're already driving a ferrari, a corvette might not seem terribly amazing. Since money isn't an object here (you already own both devices), it doesn't surprise me you'd reach for the ipad 2 more often. Gotta justify that 600$ purchase somehow, right?

Your sig tutorial was the first thing I did after getting my TP. , it did greatly improve the overall performance of the TP. Thanks for that.

Regarding the Ipad2, it was a gift so no price justification needed. Apple has (in my opinion anyways) perfected it's devices for people that aren't tech savvy like me. It's intuitive and easy to operate right out of the box. To be fair, I've had a few months to acquaint myself with the Ipad, the TP is new so time is a factor.

I do need to maximize flash but my forum search has not produced direction on how to do that. Any links or advice is appreciated.

I have just downloaded govnah and uber kernal from preware, OC is a moment away.
  14.    #14  
    If it matters, according to the Adobe flash player site I have Version 10.3.185.46 installed. Is that the most current? I am given no options to update/grade that.
  15.    #15  
    I found my settings manager on the flash website. To best optimize browser loads and show watching, how do I want to set this? Thanks for the help everyone.
    "DO maximize flash video when watching it."

Yes, that's a question that needs to be answered. I'm looking forward to it. My video is underwhelming on some sites.
  17. rlb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    How do we "maximize flash video when watching it"?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    How do we "maximize flash video when watching it"?
    You have to do it literally. Instead of letting Flash play minimized (embedded) in the browser, run it in full screen mode. The methods vary based on the site you are viewing but you usually tap a little [ ] icon on the far right side of the embedded video.

IMO, using Flash on the TouchPad is almost the exact opposite of using Flash on Android. You don't want to use ad blockers, you want to enable "Autoload Flash", and you want to run Flash full screen because it is already optimized to do so. You get your best experience pushing Flash to the limit on the TouchPad but you do suffer a little with browser loading speed.
  19. rlb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Ok, got it. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlhfirelion View Post
    I know I am new to the world of Touchpad so I want to resist the urge to decide it's fate. I know there are a lot of patches and homebrew apps and the like, and I've only scratched the surface. Maybe a few weeks of touchpad tinkering will change my mind. Part of the problem is that I'm not a "tinker-er". I prefer to just take something out of the box and have it work. The fact that it took all this updating and patching, tweaking just to get it "up and running" was not the ideal foot to start on for me. Maybe I'm part of the dumbing down of America, who knows. lol I am not a power user, and a tablet is really a entertaining convenience for me. Maybe the Ipad Theme will sooth my worries?
    I agree with you completely. The tp should be plug and play ootb but it isnt and it asks too much of the consumer who is not a nerd or a techie to get it part way up to snuff. The problem is hp rushed it out the door prematurely to jump into the tablet wars, saw their many mistakes -- overpriced, non competitive with the ipod etc and killed it. I oc mine, updated to 302 patched it and that is it. I have an ipad2 for everything but for $150 for 32 gb that does the internrt flash etc i figured its usable as a backup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast