Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I agree with you completely. The tp should be plug and play ootb but it isnt and it asks too much of the consumer who is not a nerd or a techie to get it part way up to snuff. The problem is hp rushed it out the door prematurely to jump into the tablet wars, saw their many mistakes -- overpriced, non competitive with the ipod etc and killed it. I oc mine, updated to 302 patched it and that is it. I have an ipad2 for everything but for $150 for 32 gb that does the internrt flash etc i figured its usable as a backup
    I think there will always be disagreements on HP's strategy. You have to remember that HP is, for the time being, a PC company. Every PC I have owned required some tweaking out of the box. You have to spend almost two hours after first turning the thing on backing up the system, making restore disk, and installing Windows updates. You then leave your system up so it will auto update itself every night. Despite all of this, the PC has been wildly successful while the Mac, which usually doesn't require all of this, has been limited to a smaller percentage of the market (even though the margin is a lot higher). HP being a PC company used a PC strategy to enter a market dominated by a Mac styled tablet.

I respect HP's approach to the market and think they should have ran their marathon instead of what they did. I think they would have eventually had deeper penetration into the tablet market in a year or two because there is not really a need to drastically update the hardware to stay relevant, just improve the software and services. I've seen a lot of push back to Apple's strategy. Most of the folks I know are tired of constantly paying the higher price (Apple tax) for the latest and greatest Apple hardware. They are going the Android route (cheaper better hardware, so so software with a constant update cycle).

If you want a tablet that doesn't require tinkering out of the box and just works, the iPad is the best route. However, be prepared to live in Apple's walled garden and be prepared to pay a premium for newer hardware each year.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    The touchpad in it's current hardware and software requires a considerable amount of user tinkering to be fully functional. Once Hurd was fired, webOS lost the support to make it competitive. It's still somewhat unfinished based on all the patches and hacks required for things like PDF viewing, web browsing, doc editing, USB hosting, app lag, etc. If you don't have the time or patience for that, this isn't the device for you. Personally I love tinkering with devices so it increases my pleasure of using the device.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    "have to remember that HP is, for the time being, a PC company"

Actually, HP is primarily an IT Services company, but anyways. I was really excited about this device, especially at the cheap price. However, everything worked fine, no problems with performance for me, youtube was working fine. I downloaded the kindle app and then tried downloading an actually movie on youtube and now no videos will display. Youtube just shows what looks like a lego block with a ? mark. I usually view this as a Flash error. I have tried downloading the current version of flash, although I already have it installed. However, I cannot open the flash files. I even went an downloaded the update to the webOS and it still doesn't work on youtube.

Anybody have an thoughts about this? I couldn't even register for this site, through an error, without indicating the problem, so I just gave up and decided to use my wife's laptop to come on this site. Very, very disappointed for the lack of movie support. Yes, I can use HP Movie Store, but even TV episodes are $1.99 a piece. What a rip-off. Very displeased.

For those who don't know, HP is focusing on marketing webOS for things like automobiles, refrigerators, stuff like that. I don't know what that means for the future of operating system updates, but I know that is their goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by bflat33755 View Post
    "have to remember that HP is, for the time being, a PC company"

Actually, HP is primarily an IT Services company, but anyways. I was really excited about this device, especially at the cheap price. However, everything worked fine, no problems with performance for me, youtube was working fine. I downloaded the kindle app and then tried downloading an actually movie on youtube and now no videos will display. Youtube just shows what looks like a lego block with a ? mark. I usually view this as a Flash error. I have tried downloading the current version of flash, although I already have it installed. However, I cannot open the flash files. I even went an downloaded the update to the webOS and it still doesn't work on youtube.

Anybody have an thoughts about this? I couldn't even register for this site, through an error, without indicating the problem, so I just gave up and decided to use my wife's laptop to come on this site. Very, very disappointed for the lack of movie support. Yes, I can use HP Movie Store, but even TV episodes are $1.99 a piece. What a rip-off. Very displeased.

For those who don't know, HP is focusing on marketing webOS for things like automobiles, refrigerators, stuff like that. I don't know what that means for the future of operating system updates, but I know that is their goal.
    well, not sure about your flash not working, maybe a trip to the webOS Dr, reinstall all your patches, then try again, if and when you resolve your issues, check out the thread on where to watch online tv shows, movies, etc. Ch131 has everything. I watch with no issues.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    You have to do it literally. Instead of letting Flash play minimized (embedded) in the browser, run it in full screen mode. The methods vary based on the site you are viewing but you usually tap a little [ ] icon on the far right side of the embedded video.

IMO, using Flash on the TouchPad is almost the exact opposite of using Flash on Android. You don't want to use ad blockers, you want to enable "Autoload Flash", and you want to run Flash full screen because it is already optimized to do so. You get your best experience pushing Flash to the limit on the TouchPad but you do suffer a little with browser loading speed.
    THANKS! Maximizing the size of the flash video did help not only with picture quality but with it's ability to play for some reason. It's magic and you sir are the magician! lol Thanks for the feedback.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    The touchpad in it's current hardware and software requires a considerable amount of user tinkering to be fully functional. Once Hurd was fired, webOS lost the support to make it competitive. It's still somewhat unfinished based on all the patches and hacks required for things like PDF viewing, web browsing, doc editing, USB hosting, app lag, etc. If you don't have the time or patience for that, this isn't the device for you. Personally I love tinkering with devices so it increases my pleasure of using the device.
    In less then 3 days I am realizing the above is a very accurate statement. I've tinkered my pretty little **** off just to get it to do what I consider "The Basics". It's nice when it's finally up and running, but for a non tinkerer, the initial few days was nothing short of maddening. I swore I was about to be one flying over the cuckoos nest. This site has been very helpful.
    eyes4u2envy and DizWhiz like this.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Nearly everyone on this forum is patient, friendly, and very competent. In 3 weeks they have guided me to a point where I love my HP TP.
    can't place a $$ figure on the value of a good support community.
    wish more communities worked this way. it makes supporting and donating back to the various developers and instructors pleasurable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Do the recommended fixes listed in my post in the signature line of this post. Those will help your "lagginess" immensely (ESPECIALLY killing all the needless logging the touchpad -stupidly- does).

DO overclock to at least 1.5ghz - that is a speed 100% supported by the processor inside the touchpad (literally, it's right on the manufacturer spec sheet - it's absolutely safe with a risk level lower than your average daily commute). Everyone will give you the "do it at your own risk" talk, but seriously, it's safe. Just use preware to install the latest uberkernel, then install govna, then run govna and change the profile/processor speed to reflect a 1.5ghz max speed. Uberkernel will ONLY support speeds that have proven to be effectively 100% reliable in the field (hence, no 1.7ghz support even though it is -mostly- trouble-free).

DO maximize flash video when watching it.

All of that will make videos on sites like cbs.com run beautifully. One last thing - remember not to install any adblocker software on the touchpad if online video is something you value (cbs for example, will block you if you attempt to utilize adblock or maxblocker). Flash isn't going to be perfect - but it runs, which is more than I can say about the ipad 2.

Beyond that, understand that the touchpad is still a bit of a work in progress. It's certainly not living up to the capabilities of it's hardward -just yet- but it's only had a few months in the wild to be fiddled with. You give it a bit more time and I'm telling you right now this device will blow you away. The dev community surrounding our touchpad has massively grown and we should see some amazing things.

As it sits, these fixes will make everything run beautifully and handle -most- of the web usage you throw at it.

On a sidenote, something to keep in mind: At it's current hardware specs, the touchpad would be effectively the most powerful android device available today by a reasonably significant amount.... Food for thought, especially once icecreamsandwich hits the field .

On the flip side - you already have an ipad 2, which is pretty universally considered the "better device", or at least the "more polished" device, even among HP/palm faithful (whether it's 500$ better is of course, debatable). Point being - when you're already driving a ferrari, a corvette might not seem terribly amazing. Since money isn't an object here (you already own both devices), it doesn't surprise me you'd reach for the ipad 2 more often. Gotta justify that 600$ purchase somehow, right?

I've installed your guide list but no ad block or max ad patches and I can't get cbs.com to work? I've looked at other threads that suggested removing host files and clearing cache. I've tried these but still can't get the video on cbs.com to play. Any suggestions? Might there be some other browser patch that I have installed which is causing the problem?

thanks
    Wyatt
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwyatt View Post
    I've installed your guide list but no ad block or max ad patches and I can't get cbs.com to work? I've looked at other threads that suggested removing host files and clearing cache. I've tried these but still can't get the video on cbs.com to play. Any suggestions? Might there be some other browser patch that I have installed which is causing the problem?

thanks
    Wyatt
    I have no idea what would cause this. I'm sitting here with a cbs video pulled up no problem, and I've got everything listed in that original post and then some.

What's it doing? Absolutely nothing?
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwyatt View Post

thanks
    Wyatt
    same thing was happening to me, but I tried clearing the cache and cookies, and shutting down the TP several times. Then I was able to watch CBS
    If you had ad or max blocker installed before and uninstalled them, make sure you do a full restart and not just luna restart. I have no problem playing videos from cbs.com or other sites.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tlhfirelion View Post
    In less then 3 days I am realizing the above is a very accurate statement. I've tinkered my pretty little **** off just to get it to do what I consider "The Basics". It's nice when it's finally up and running, but for a non tinkerer, the initial few days was nothing short of maddening. I swore I was about to be one flying over the cuckoos nest. This site has been very helpful.
    Yeah I'm fine with messing around under the hood but I cannot imagine having a friend or family member buy one and saying to them "Okay check out this guide on Precentral just follow it exactly and it will work well". Especially when it was $499!!

The first week I was always using it.. then I picked up my wife's iPad 2 again and realized how much lighter and faster it was in general. Then I realized my TP browser wouldn't load all the images on sites with heavy photo use and the iPad had zero issue doing so.

But for $100 it's a great gadget to mess around with but there is no way I could have recommended this at full price. And I love webOS. Thankfully there's this site and the amazing amount of help and info floating around to make this much, MUCH better of an experience!
    I bought an ipad2 for my dad and my experience with it was not the same as yours. It takes the same amount of time to do tasks as a touchpad and it wasn't as big of an improvement over my ipad as I had been led to believe.

I think a lot of things are a matter of perception, on the touchpad the glowing icon indicates the app is loading whereas on the ipad the app's splash screen is the same as the actual app and thus fools the brain into thinking that it loaded instantly. In my actual experience touchpad was better.

My dad really liked his ipad2 and my brother (the engineer) loved his touchpad. My nephews and neice loved playing games on the touchpad (ipad2 was off-limits). My brother has not even tinkered with preware or any patches he just upgraded to 3.0.2.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12