Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to transfer a MKV movie of 4.37GB to my touchpad to play back using KALEM media player BUT transfer is blocked with error message
    "the file is too large for the destination file system"

Is there a work around? What is the max file size compatible with webOS 3.0.2?
    tks,
    Olivier
    Since the Touchpad's internal storage is formatted as Fat32, the maximum file size is 4GB. Only way around is to stream it directly from your computer, or split it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xaev01 View Post
    Since the Touchpad's internal storage is formatted as Fat32, the maximum file size is 4GB. Only way around is to stream it directly from your computer, or split it.
    I seem to recall that 2gb is the max size you can move to the TP? Could be wrong, but best option is to use Handbrake or something similar and convert using Apple TV presets so it converts to m4v or mov, for use on TP at a less than 2gb file size. Or convert to avi, or helll even dl it from a torrent site in avi format, which will likely be as small as 700mb. Just a few options.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Kalem streamer is your friend. Have only tried it locally though.
  5.    #5  
    agreed. seems to work smoothly so far...
    Olivier
    Quote Originally Posted by olivier_strasbourg View Post
    I am trying to transfer a MKV movie of 4.37GB to my touchpad to play back using KALEM media player BUT transfer is blocked with error message

tks,
    Olivier
    the workaround is to use your head and not play an insane sized file, giant files are a waste, MORE SIZE/QUALITY doesnt mean good/better, its just wasted/daft on a touchpads small screenres, compress/convert it to something more sensible, even on a normal desktop PC they can be a waste at that bigger size.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/17/2011 at 06:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the workaround is to use your head and not play an insane sized file, giant files are a waste, MORE SIZE/QUALITY doesnt mean good/better, its just wasted/daft on a touchpads small screenres, compress/convert it to something more sensible, even on a normal desktop PC they can be a waste at that bigger size.
    If all I had was a Touchpad, I'd agree with you. BUT, I have a 20TB+ media server in my basement serving up movies to a 65in plasma and I also have a 1080P projector and a 120in screen.

Given the size of the displays, larger file sizes are a must.

It would be much easier and more convenient for people like me if we could find a way to simply transfer our existing MKVs over to the TP instead of having to invest more time converting what we already have to some other format or a smaller file size.

Of course, if it can't be done, it can't be done and converting might be the only option that we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    I seem to recall that 2gb is the max size you can move to the TP? Could be wrong, but best option is to use Handbrake or something similar and convert using Apple TV presets so it converts to m4v or mov, for use on TP at a less than 2gb file size. Or convert to avi, or helll even dl it from a torrent site in avi format, which will likely be as small as 700mb. Just a few options.
    Incorrect The 2GB is only on the stock media player as it reportedly wont play .MP4 files larger than that (multiple people have said this). However, the Touchpad can and will handle file sizes up to 4GB and other media players like KalemSoft Media Player can play almost everything just fine.

I proved this in my KalemSoft thread by showing mine playing a 3.7GB .MKV file (about 50 seconds in):

Quote Originally Posted by demosthenes9 View Post
    If all I had was a Touchpad, I'd agree with you. BUT, I have a 20TB+ media server in my basement serving up movies to a 65in plasma and I also have a 1080P projector and a 120in screen.

Given the size of the displays, larger file sizes are a must.

It would be much easier and more convenient for people like me if we could find a way to simply transfer our existing MKVs over to the TP instead of having to invest more time converting what we already have to some other format or a smaller file size.

Of course, if it can't be done, it can't be done and converting might be the only option that we have.
    its the only sane option for a 1024x768 display device, what's best xferring a few 4gb files or several more 700mb ones, the extra quality just won't be seen or noticed on a < 1080p display.
    its the only sane option for a 1024x768 display device, what's best xferring a few 4gb files or several more 700mb ones, the extra quality just won't be seen or noticed on a < 1080p display.
    With my 32gb TP? I'd much rather transfer 5 or 6 4GB files over instead of having to convert them.

I fully understand that the vids will have extra quality that will be wasted on the TP. No one is arguing otherwise.

The point is that I have a crap load of movies and would really prefer not to have to spend the time converting each and every one of them to get them to fit on my TP.

As it is, I have to go through my collection, decide which ones I might want to watch on my TP in the near future, fire up Handbrake and convert them, and then that's all that's available until I decide to convert more.

If someone were to come up with a way to remove the file size limitation, it would make life much much easier for myself and others.
    unfortunatly that's a filesystem issue that's unlikely to get any kind of quick and error free fix.
    File system issue. Not much can be done about it w/o HP rewrites of the OS.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    File system issue. Not much can be done about it w/o HP rewrites of the OS.
    Yep. It's either re-encode, split or stream for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by morydees View Post
    Yep. It's either re-encode, split or stream for now.
    guess I'll play around with splitting and reencoding and figure pros and cons of each
    well, theoretically, one could redo their device with a ext3 file system, which i think would fix that problem. not sure how difficult that would be, though.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    do you guys think that when droid is available, that will fix this problem?
    unfortunatly that's a filesystem issue that's unlikely to get any kind of quick and error free fix.
    thanks for this answer. your previous answers about how it is the only sane option were just trying to justify a flaw. like bmw when they have a problem they'll sometimes even call it a "feature" to get out of warranty work, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    thanks for this answer. your previous answers about how it is the only sane option were just trying to justify a flaw. like bmw when they have a problem they'll sometimes even call it a "feature" to get out of warranty work, lol.
    almost, a flaw + excuse as you said on bmw is perhaps 1 way to look at it, but in the touchpads case its not a flaw its an unfortunate limitation, its not like the touchpads the only plug and play usb device using a basic FAT setup, loads of mp3 players/usb memory sticks and plenty more default to exactly the same.

a flaw would suggest they intended better but failed to do so and kept the crap method as a backup, and on a mobile device it probably didnt occur to them even once that people would want to slap on a few oversized files on a mobile device.

on my mp3 players / phone i dont have whole CD rips of music, i have the individual track rips for example, its just taken for granted small mobile devices will store smallish mobile files.
    Quote Originally Posted by olivier_strasbourg View Post

tks,
    Olivier
    You can use Pavtube video converter to transfer mkv to h.264 mp4 which can playback on touchpad smoothly.
    almost, a flaw + excuse as you said on bmw is perhaps 1 way to look at it, but in the touchpads case its not a flaw its an unfortunate limitation, its not like the touchpads the only plug and play usb device using a basic FAT setup, loads of mp3 players/usb memory sticks and plenty more default to exactly the same.

a flaw would suggest they intended better but failed to do so and kept the crap method as a backup, and on a mobile device it probably didnt occur to them even once that people would want to slap on a few oversized files on a mobile device.

on my mp3 players / phone i dont have whole CD rips of music, i have the individual track rips for example, its just taken for granted small mobile devices will store smallish mobile files.
    ok, semantics, its a limitation. just your first response was "use your head" and "insane file size"... whereas in reality it is not crazy to want to play mkv and not deal with converters and all this BS that you *have* to deal with because of the limitation.
    G4z likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast