Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I wonder if there is just some consistency issues? I ask this because I have no problems watching cbs.com, nbc.com, espn3, etc. I am at 1.5Ghz and at home only get between 8-9MBps. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to load, but-knock on wood-so far, no problems at all viewing.
    I have preware and all the suggested tweaks installed plus the 1.5 patch and cbs is a slideshow. It shows my network speed as low yet I'm sitting 10ft from my router and my speed test was 17Mbps.

edit:Turned Flash off and CBS videos ran fine.
    Last edited by DizWhiz; 09/20/2011 at 12:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    I have preware and all the suggested tweaks installed plus the 1.5 patch and cbs is a slideshow. It shows my network speed as low yet I'm sitting 10ft from my router and my speed test was 17Mbps.

edit:Turned Flash off and CBS videos ran fine.
    turned flash off? don't you need flash to run the cbs vids?
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phphreak View Post
    turned flash off? don't you need flash to run the cbs vids?
    I've run them on an iPad without Flash so it must check then default to an HTML5 version or something. My browser cache may have kept Flash running too since I've had issues with that in the past.

I love my TP but man the browser/video playback is buggy.
  4.    #24  
    Will those that said it "run fine" on their touchpad do me a favor? Go to CBS.COM and go watch the latest Big Bang Theory full episode on full screen. I find that it is sometimes dependent on the show, for what reason, I don't know. I think the players are different for different shows, or the content on the page differs greatly that it causes something to lag.

I reset my router and I'm getting a steady 15Mbps with bursts up to 20Mbps (Which is what it should be). And again, my iPhone can stream anything fine (Obviously not flash). Would really love to figure this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by phphreak View Post
    Flash is terrible on the touchpad via the browser. I have over clocked to 1.5 and installed all the usual patches.

Coming from html5 playback on the iPad, this is atrocious.

Yep, TPad is just a terrible, terrible device for anything....flash included!

Really..? Hate much? Watch Seinfeld Online Free - Crackle

6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Yep, TPad is just a terrible, terrible device for anything....flash included!

Really..? Hate much? Watch Seinfeld Online Free - Crackle

I think it's less about the actual device as it is the OS and software. The HP Touchpad is more than capable of smoothly running a flash video. Sadly performance is a huge issue out of the box. I've been keeping an eye out on the android ports, and I hope there is an improvement there, because it may be worth my time to invest there. I'd also welcome optimization patches in regards to WebOS. But we are definitely not imagining poor performance in regards to flash.

Crackle seems like a cool site, however I am more interested in watching shows I've missed on TV rather than TV shows in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Bledsoejr View Post
    I think it's less about the actual device as it is the OS and software. The HP Touchpad is more than capable of smoothly running a flash video. Sadly performance is a huge issue out of the box. I've been keeping an eye out on the android ports, and I hope there is an improvement there, because it may be worth my time to invest there. I'd also welcome optimization patches in regards to WebOS. But we are definitely not imagining poor performance in regards to flash.

Crackle seems like a cool site, however I am more interested in watching shows I've missed on TV rather than TV shows in general.
    The crackle site is considered the "control" in this little test. Crackle is a *full flash* movie streaming site and I would bet $$ that the videos there play 100% perfectly for you.

The "variables" in this experiment are the other sites you are trying to use. That they do not work properly is proof of their poor implementation of flash\poor hosting infrastructure. The control of crackle.com proves the fault is NOT the TPad or webOS.

It's like my clients that b*tch about their internet provider causing slow web browsing. I have them run a speed test. Are the speeds good? Yes. Then go to their providers "portal". Does it load fast? Yes. That's the control. The variables are those other "slow" sites they are browsing. Put the blame where it belongs.
  8.    #28  
    The crackle site is considered the "control" in this little test. Crackle is a *full flash* movie streaming site and I would bet $$ that the videos there play 100% perfectly for you.

The "variables" in this experiment are the other sites you are trying to use. That they do not work properly is proof of their poor implementation of flash\poor hosting infrastructure. The control of crackle.com proves the fault is NOT the TPad or webOS.

It's like my clients that b*tch about their internet provider causing slow web browsing. I have them run a speed test. Are the speeds good? Yes. Then go to their providers "portal". Does it load fast? Yes. That's the control. The variables are those other "slow" sites they are browsing. Put the blame where it belongs.
    Yeah I completely understand and in fact I will probably agree with you. I know a lot of people throw around words and complain a lot and say how much it sucks etc., so I understand that it comes to a certain point where it's obnoxious to hear people ***** especially if they're not educated about the specific area. I never said I was an expert and I am open to hearing solutions which is why I started this thread.

I still think it's unfortunate that the tablet still runs into issues with a chunk of flash videos. Most people don't have the technical knowhow, and when a device is advertised to do something, you simply expect it to work properly. Luckily for us technical minded, we come to forums like this to find tweaks, answers, and figure out HOW to make it work. Others. Not so much.

And if you've read my previous posts, you'll see that I've already noticed it is very dependent per site, per video player, and is not just a wide issue. If it was, it would be a different story. Which is why I specifically singled out CBS.com, NBC.COM, etc.

And yes, you are correct, I ran two TV shows and 1 movie at 480P on Crackle and it runs fantastic, I still couldn't find any HD content. I would still like anyone interested to try to run The Big Bang Theory since it is a specific show I was having issues with. It would confirm my belief that the CBS website as well as many others like it are simply not optimized well for this type of viewing.
    and that's probably why steve jobs hates flash and will not deal with it... because he doesnt want people that dont have the technical knowhow to be pulling their hair and misdirecting their anger and frustration at the product than the real culprit, the flash software which he has no control over or can do anything to make it better.

because the real truth to your answer is that there is no fix to the lousy quality of playback on a site such as cbs.com.

imo, people need to stop telling others to go to crackle.com as a control site. big whoop that one company actually that many people dont wanna go to has their site optimized... those sites are probably in the minority of the average flash driven site.

flash stinks monkey balls and blame the flash, not the tp or the site in question and tell em that you just have to live with it and hopefully someday flash is left behind to die.

to op... i just tried watching two 1/2 men on my desktop computer with more power than any tab and latest version of flash... it stinks to watch. so if its gonna stinks on a pc... most likely it will stink on any mobile device. i would say that would be your control test for future flash sites... if it stinks on a high powered pc... it'll probably stink on a tab... any tab. if it doesnt stink on a pc... then flash just stinks on the tp... it's not the tp's fault.

I still think it's unfortunate that the tablet still runs into issues with a chunk of flash videos. Most people don't have the technical knowhow, and when a device is advertised to do something, you simply expect it to work properly. Luckily for us technical minded, we come to forums like this to find tweaks, answers, and figure out HOW to make it work. Others. Not so much.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    and that's probably why steve jobs hates flash and will not deal with it... because he doesnt want people that dont have the technical knowhow to be pulling their hair and misdirecting their anger and frustration at the product than the real culprit, the flash software which he has no control over or can do anything to make it better.

because the real truth to your answer is that there is no fix to the lousy quality of playback on a site such as cbs.com.

imo, people need to stop telling others to go to crackle.com as a control site. big whoop that one company actually that many people dont wanna go to has their site optimized... those sites are probably in the minority of the average flash driven site.

flash stinks monkey balls and blame the flash, not the tp or the site in question and tell em that you just have to live with it and hopefully someday flash is left behind to die.

to op... i just tried watching two 1/2 men on my desktop computer with more power than any tab and latest version of flash... it stinks to watch. so if its gonna stinks on a pc... most likely it will stink on any mobile device. i would say that would be your control test for future flash sites... if it stinks on a high powered pc... it'll probably stink on a tab... any tab. if it doesnt stink on a pc... then flash just stinks on the tp... it's not the tp's fault.
    Honestly, I never understood why people get so heated about flash. Never thought it to be a big deal. In fact, it's really not a big deal for me now, I just want to watch my videos.

To stay on topic about the performance of videos on the TP, I will say my computer is rock solid and I've never had issues with Flash or watching videos on these sites. My personal opinion is that flash is a little overrated and I think there are many ways to accomplish great videos on devices with little power (See iPhone, iPad). So even if the sites aren't optimized well... I think it's possible!

I don't really know about codecs, encoding, streaming, etc. But technically couldn't we buffer a video completely to cache and play it back? I don't understand why the playback is choppy, it's not like it can't buffer. And it's also not that the TP can't play back HD video. It can play back fantastic video. *scratches head* I just don't that.

In my case, my control was my desktop computer. The TouchPad streamed Hawaii Five-0 way better than my desktop did, it was marginally watchable on the TouchPad. This leads me to believe there's something wrong with CBS's implementation as opposed to any real problem with the TouchPad. FWIW, I'm on the stock kernel, disabled the browser cache and optimized my network, in addition to bumping up my broadband service.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    In my case, my control was my desktop computer. The TouchPad streamed Hawaii Five-0 way better than my desktop did, it was marginally watchable on the TouchPad. This leads me to believe there's something wrong with CBS's implementation as opposed to any real problem with the TouchPad. FWIW, I'm on the stock kernel, disabled the browser cache and optimized my network, in addition to bumping up my broadband service.
    I'd have to say it makes the most sense that it's the website at this point. My question is why?
    cobrakon likes this.
    I'd have to say it makes the most sense that it's the website at this point. My question is why?
    Dunno, could be the stuff they add to the player - note that the player is supposed to auto-set itself to respond to your internet bandwidth. Stuff like that has to add overhead, then there's the ads they put in.

At this point, I don't know that I could even blame flash - after all I was just on YouTube streaming a 1080p video flawlessly, and same for the crackle link cobrakon provided. I think the networks think they have to get fancy and it adds overhead/stresses the flash player.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Streaming some things on the Touchpad just seems terrible. It's the only reason I care for flash. I have searched this forum up and down and everyone's advice is "Yeah just do all the preware patches and you'll be cool." No... It's not. I just went to ABC.com and played something back, it seemed OK - mediocre quality and some choppiness. At least it was in sync. I went to CBS.COM and NBC.COM and CBS just looks terrible and basically shows me a frame every 3 seconds. Nbc.com looks fantastic, but is out of sync and choppy. Small screen, full screen, it all loops choppy. But youtube... Looks fantastic! Streams perfectly at 720P!

Here is what I've done to ensure smoothness:

-Made sure it was the only window running, no multitasking
    -Overclocked to 1.5Ghz
    -Muffle System Logging
    -Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    -Unthrottle Download Manager
    -HuluFix (I know it's kind of irrelevant right now)
    -Rebooted
    -Cleared cache/history/cookies

Is there anything I'm missing to get videos from CBS and etc to play back smoothly? I've heard of this Video Flood, I'll have to try that out, but I have no problem just going to the website if it just worked. Any help is appreciated. Hope I didn't echo an already open thread, if there is one that I missed just point me there and I apologize ahead of time.
    you are probably just used to how well the ipad streams it's video
    Quote Originally Posted by brf4n View Post
    you are probably just used to how well the ipad streams it's video
    Yes true. The ipad does stream video well. If you want that type of streaming on the Touchpad, all you have to do is turn off flash. For those sites that are Flash only, then you can turn it back on.
    DizWhiz likes this.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yes true. The ipad does stream video well. If you want that type of streaming on the Touchpad, all you have to do is turn off flash. For those sites that are Flash only, then you can turn it back on.
    How do you turn off flash? Is that in browser settings or is that a patch (Which I've never seen)?

I also don't own an iPad, but an iPhone which does excellent video.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Pretty much what I am doing now. On my Android phone I have Flash as click to enable for the few times I actually need it.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    How do you turn off flash? Is that in browser settings or is that a patch (Which I've never seen)?

I also don't own an iPad, but an iPhone which does excellent video.
    In the browser click Web from the top left, Preferences then turn flash off. Exit and refresh the page.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    In the browser click Web from the top left, Preferences then turn flash off. Exit and refresh the page.
    Ah, thanks, not sure how I missed the option to turn off Flash. But I tried it again in my "Control" by trying to view the Big bang Theory on CBS.com. It seemed to load fine with flash off, I'm not sure if that's because the website is not completely flash or my settings just aren't taking. Either way, it still looks pretty bad even when I turned off flash. Maybe I need to reboot for it to take correctly, although I did clear the cache. I'm a bit over trying to access these videos. I'm hoping when we see an Android port we'll get better performance but I'm not holding my breath.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12