Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I try to WebOSDoctor my TouchPad, Doctor disconnects at 8% and I get a non-pulsating HP logo that goes no where. Yes, I have been trying the recovery method from webos internals.

According to How To Recover - WebOS Internals , If the webOS Doctor continually disconnects at 8%, then I probably have a corrupted USB drive. Which may be true. The problem started while I was downloading an app from the Palm market, the touchpad frooze so I hard reset it. Now on start-up, it takes 10m (non-pulsating HP logo) to go to pulsating HP logo then to boot into WebOS. All appears fine except it always takes 10m to startup, and I cannot install or delete any apps. List of apps is also messed up. When trying to delete files via Internalz or in USB drive via Windows, on reboot, the files are still there. It is as though I cannot modify the USB drive in anyway.

I have put device into recovery mode, then memboot the device using the installer uImage, novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage, and follow the instructions from webos internals recovery... can run novaterm and see the directories... the commands from the webos recovery appears fine, but did not fix the problem.

Basically, I think my USB drive is corrupted and I can't seem to modify it or even delete it to go through WebOSDoctor.

Any suggestions??
    I'd contact HP customer support.
  3.    #3  
    Other notes... my system does have the uberkernel overclocked to 1.5ghz. I can't remove any "apps", including the kernel. Here are the command lines in novaterm trying to fix the corrupt usb drive, but on webosdoctor, I still get the same 8% disconnect.

novaterm:

root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    Found volume group "store" using metadata typle lvm2
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    root@webos-device:/# mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media
    mkdosfs 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
    root@webos-device:/#

---

some failures while running webosdoctor below...

Sep 16, 2011 1:38:25 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils umountPart
    INFO: Unmounting /dev/mapper/store-media
    Sep 16, 2011 1:38:25 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils umountPart
    INFO: MountUtils: unmount successful
    Sep 16, 2011 1:38:26 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils umountPart
    INFO: Unmounting /dev/mapper/store-log
    Sep 16, 2011 1:38:26 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils umountPart
    WARNING: MountUtils: unmount failed, retrying in 1 second
    Sep 16, 2011 1:38:27 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils umountPart
    SEVERE: MountUtils: unmount failed: umount: can't umount /dev/mapper/store-log:
    No such file or directory

Sep 16, 2011 1:38:27 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController post
    FlashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure
    err -1 "unmount failed"
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils.umountPart(MountUtils.java:32
    0)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils.umount(MountUtils.java:335)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.SaveLogsBeforeFlashStage.run(Save
    LogsBeforeFlashStage.java:71)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:333
    )
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Sep 16, 2011 1:38:27 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController post
    FlashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1316205507651
    Last edited by isosunrise; 09/16/2011 at 03:40 PM.
    hmm have you tried using 'secure full erase' (device info - reset options) and then use the webos doctor?

i also had a similair problem, in my case i formated a partition to ext3 ..after secure full erase i was able to use the webos succesfully...

good luck
  5.    #5  
    still bricked , but updates...

the errors on previous post was from webosdoctor 302... which disconnects at 8%

when using webosdoctor 300, the touchpad disconnects at 12% instead... before the disconnect, i get a many of these errors..

INFO: AppDeletion: rm: can't remove '/tmp_mediafs/.palm/=2OXPPBTA=/=2MH07E===/...: Ready-only file system

then at 12%, it would disconnect, and also on the touchpad.. there is a picture of a chip next to the hp... what is that?

how do i make the whole system not read-only?
    the picture of the chip tells you the doctor is flashing the device.

if you are able to attach unusb mode, try formatting the USB partition (fat32 only)

and try a different pc. Win32 rather than 64 bit.
  7.    #7  
    Initially, I was using a x64 Windows 7 but was having problems with novaterm, so I switched to x32 Windows 7 already.

I have formatted (quick format) the whole USB partition once before... which in windows, it then appears empty. Upon reboot, the whole drive is BACK! Which is really weird.. I just told windows to do some error fixing on the parition, which it found some and said it is fixed. I am again formating, but doing it the slow way. Will see if I can doctor after that.

OK, in Windows 7, I can see the USB drive and files inside when mounted. I can quick and full format the drive, and everything "appears" gone. After unmount and remount, all the files on the drive reappear... the drive cannot be modified? It keeps coming back.
    Last edited by isosunrise; 09/17/2011 at 03:18 PM.
  8.    #8  
    I can't make the format stick in Windows. Anybody know he command to format in memboot uImage?
    We have now entered the twilight zone. (couldnt resist xD)
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I have read about this in other posts, and the solution I have HEARD works(I don't have a Touchpad yet myself) is to update the Novacom on your computer(download and install the SDK to your computer). Try that and let us know if it works.
  11.    #11  
    Targon,

- I have tried a few versions of Novacom, so don't think that is the issue.
    - Maybe I will try the SDK version... and see what I can do with that. The drive is read only and no matter what I do, delete (via memboot or Windows USB)... everything keeps coming back... I mean, the TouchPad still does boot up and works (takes 10m to boot up though, bizarre)... and I can use it... but nothing sticks... ie, cannot install new apps, music, programs etc...
    - I do have the uberkernel but I am not sure that will cause any of these problems.

I will try fixing it again this weekend... I just got the Droid Bionic so I have been preocuppied this week playing with that!
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    might be a silly question but did you disable usb power saving of the usb port on your computer? i've read it can sometimes go to sleep in the middle and mess things up.
    I was having the same issue - using the uberkernel I believe. Changed back to the default Palm kernel from preware and the install worked first time!
  14.    #14  
    CCX, I have tried two different machines... both have usb power savings disabled... so that is not the problem.

Fdrzrich, it is impossible for me to install/remove anything, including removing the uberkernel and re-installing the default palm kernel. I can't make any modifications that will stick.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    there are a few threads on xda.. maybe something there will help. TouchPad Development - xda-developers
    Any luck w/ this issue? I'm having the exact same problem. The touchpad won't respond to any modifications to the file system. However, webOS doctor gets stuck at 12% and then terminates. Secure full erase also fails.
  17.    #17  
    I eventually gave up and sent it to back to HP for repairs.
    Thanks for your response. I'd love to have more information though before I give them a call.

Did you have your device overclocked or were you using Preware? Did HP care about that whatsoever? Also, were there any costs to you, and is the touchpad functioning now?
    Quote Originally Posted by isosunrise View Post
    CCX, I have tried two different machines... both have usb power savings disabled... so that is not the problem.

Fdrzrich, it is impossible for me to install/remove anything, including removing the uberkernel and re-installing the default palm kernel. I can't make any modifications that will stick.
    came across this thread while looking for something else...

see you sent it for repair...good

BUT...as I recall reading on the inand flash used in touchpad
    it has a "locking sequence" which sets it to read only when
    there is a serious issue with the inand....so it appears
    that your unit may have experienced this...

will try to look it up again...
    @fgdn

I still haven't been able to resolve my issues. If you could recall how to remove that locking sequence, that'd be fantastic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast