1.    #1  
    I've finally finished configuring everything on my touchpad how I like:

preware
    apps
    sshfs automounted
    reformat /media/internal as ext3 so sshfs mount is available to apps
    ubuntu chroot
    etc.

Is there any way to make an image of this so I can restore to a fresh setup of this if something goes haywire in the future without having to do all this work again? Similar to a dd backup, or clonezilla or something?
    I use Pre Backup Utility on my device. Worked great for me a couple times but YMMV, I remember reading mixed reviews about its results. I'm still on 1.4.5 though... I'm not sure if anyone has tried it on a TouchPad, you could be the first
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I gave this advice in another thread - From Preware there is Save/Restore app that can save your application data in /media/internal/saverestore on your device, you should copy this folder to your computer on a regular basis. All of your application from the HP App Catalog are restored after you doctor your device and login with your registered account. I personally use Wifi Media Sync on a regular basis to backup the entire /media/internal structure.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    mjkjr likes this.
    +1 yes Save/Restore is amazing. I use both, or used to use both. I used PBU because when previously doctoring my device (planned for testing) I wanted my texts, calls, and little stuff like that restored as well. However, I've had a couple random trips to the doctor since and I didn't bother with the little things like that, not worth it. Just let Save/Restore backup the necessary things. I've learned to live without a full device backup now but I bet we'll get there eventually
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    As far as I know, there's no way to image your device and then restore that image.

When you're using Save/Restore (which you absolutely should) pay attention to what apps it supports and which of your apps are not on that list. One of the ones I depend on my Pre is Tank Tracker, which isn't backed up by Save/Restore. Fortunately, the export function in Tank Tracker sends your entire database by email, so you can restore it if you need to.

Also, you should open up Preware and go to "saved package list" in the menu and hit Update. Also make sure you all the files in your media/internal are copied somewhere.

If you need to restore after a catastrophic crash, you restore in this order:

• sign into your Palm Profile (all your catalog apps come back)
    • turn on Dev Mode and connect with WOSQI and install Preware
    • open Preware and your non-catalog apps should come back along with all of your patches
    • run Save/Restore and restore what it can
    • if you have any other databases that need to be restored, do that now. also restore your media/internal files

I don't know anything that will restore "fancy" stuff like EXT3 or ssfhs so you should probably do those manually near the beginning of your restore process.
    Last edited by flamand; 09/19/2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: additional info
    noseph likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    webOS has tar...shouldn't it be possible to do a zero-level dump of the entire OS?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    I think you can ssh into your device and then scp an image file created with dd ????
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    I wish TP had a backup option like Blackberry. With Blackberry, you can do a full backup via usb and a desktop app (Blackberry Desktop Manager).

I hated when I restored, it knew what apps I had, but it needed to wifi download all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I use Pre Backup Utility on my device. Worked great for me a couple times but YMMV, I remember reading mixed reviews about its results. I'm still on 1.4.5 though... I'm not sure if anyone has tried it on a TouchPad, you could be the first
    I strongly advise against using that app. For a start, the files it backs up no longer exist on webOS 2.x or later. Not much use in a HP TouchPad thread ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I think you can ssh into your device and then scp an image file created with dd ????
    Then install a 128gb ssd and copy it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Better to use the Meta-Doctor's 'backup' target to do this, since it captures the filesystem contents in an unmounted consistent state.

-- Rod
    Remy X likes this.